Looking for suggestions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for suggestions

Roomie

Banned
So thinking about leaving a day early for Indianapolis.... wanting to cross at niagara or ft erie. Any good motel suggestions or routes into Ohio? It's about the midway point by going that way. If not that way then crossing at detroit. Basically I want to take two days to get to Indy taking some decent roads (not interstates) Thanks for any help.

I will give my standard advice whenever the name Ohio is used.
Avoid Columbus.
They are the worst drivers I have ever encountered.
Lane changes without looking, cutting off other drivers. No quarter asked and none given.
Just no brains at all.
I have driven through twice in a car.
In the past I have driven 100 miles out of my way to avoid Columbus OH on the motorcycle.

Yeah I now enough to avoid that area. I was thinking about following hwy 20 along the lake to just outside Cleveland and head south to avoid that too. Looking at the map I'd likely aim for Lima, Oh to stay in the first night.

I would take Hwy. 3 along the north shore of Lake Erie to Windsor and go through Detroit.
This is a long way of doing it, but 3 is a very pleasant ride.
When I get to Rondeau Park, I go north to Chatham and take the 401 to Windsor. There is little traffic on this part of the 401.
Once out of Detroit, there are plenty of secondary roads to Indianapolis.

Last edited:
You can also stay on 3 into Windsor and it will take you right to the Ambassador Bridge, but it's heavier and slower traffic west of Leamington. I've done 24 South out of Detroit to Maumee, which is a very nice town on the river, maybe look into staying there?

It depends on what you like to do on a ride and what you are riding. If you want to have some fun, cross at Buffalo and ride down and across western Penn. and into western Ohio, some okay roads and lots of places to stay around Pittsburgh. Once you get about a 1/4 of the way into Ohio the landscape flattens out and is just as flat as south western Ontario. Really boring, like riding to Windsor, and it's like that all the way to Indy, flat, flat,flat. I imagine crossing at Detroit is similar with the added fun of thousands of semi-tractors trying to kill you, and if they don't get you the potholes will. Been there twice and the western Penn. route was the best, but it takes an extra day.

Can't really offer much advice other than don't stay at the Super 8 in Erie or the America's Best Value in Cleveland..made that mistake last winter!
In fact I have made a new rule to never stay at a America's Best Value...so impressed was I in Cleveland!

Anytime I hear Ohio I think Grandpa's Cheesebarn.

If you don't have to ride, don't. It's boring as hell any way you go, unless a really roundabout way. Take the car and spend more time in Indi at the park. Watch out in Ohio for the 5-0, they troopers are exceptionally hard on speeders. Friend I know got a a ticket for 5 over and then for 10 under when slowed down for an exit.

Thanks for the tips. Definitely riding down. Haven't decided which way yet but we aren't in a rush. I'm leaning towards the Buffalo crossing following the lake back across. I know it's flat and boring. I lived in Missouri previously but would drive back and forth on the interstates. In a car ok but on a bike no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom