Toronto to Outer Banks in Carolina's | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto to Outer Banks in Carolina's

Swaler

Looking to do a tour down to the Outer Banks/Kittyhawk/Hatteras etc. Would like to avoid the interstates as much as possible. Has anyone done this trip, or somewhere down that way and have any route suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WHen are you doing that? I'd love to tag along and off slab is fine with me.
Just finished and Audible book on the Wrights and was very impressed. Would love to see the place.

Don't have any suggestions for the specific area but certainly lots for getting at least as far as Virginia.

How many days?

A splendid opportunity to do the Blue Ridge if you have the time and its still on your "to do" list.
Just re-route your return to go further west.

You should definitely do the Skyline drive but as to the entire BRP ....500+ miles of slow curvy roads that get a tad boring after while.

You interested in a hookup ?? I know the area reasonably down to Virginia and Back of the Dragon....terra incognita past that.

Trip starting Fri before Labour day. Thanks for info ref Skyline...not sure about hook up...haven't ridden with someone before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've done this exact trip. Lots of options through Penn. but you are sort of heading southeast, so aim for Gettysburg, it's on the way and incredibly interesting. Next you cross Maryland and into Virginia, or as we did, hit Washington DC. Pretty expensive, not sure of your budget, but if you hunt around there are deals to be had because DC is a Mon. to Fri. town and there are a lot of empty hotel rooms on the weekend. Use the internet. Across Virginia you basically have to go by Norfolk and Virginia Beach etc. If you are a history buff there are many places to check out Williamsburg etc. Then across the amazing bridge tunnel and into NC. Boring basically for a couple of hours then you head out to the Outer Banks , very cool, you will love it. Just be careful of the wind, it can be extremely windy, blow you out of your lane windy, but it's actually pretty cool. Once you are there you will be happy you went. Just a heads up, it is a full 8 hour day on the interstates to go from the Outer Banks to Asheville NC which is right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. So have fun it's really worth seeing.

Trip starting Fri before Labour day. Thanks for info ref Skyline...not sure about hook up...haven't ridden with someone before.

That likely works.
Any chance you have a SENA ( unlikely as you ride alone ).
I'm easy going and pay my way. Have good nav and can point out a good off slab route as far as Virginia.
Terra incognita after that and having just finished the Wright Bros biography would be neat to see. Any reason for a ride :D

If you are camping tho - not for me. I can usually find a decent priced AirBnB or motel thru Booking.com - have accounts for both
I only share rooms with my kid or girlfriend.

I'm happy to tag along at whatever speed you go ....nice not to lead. Well equipped with music and audio books.
Up to you.....I'm easy either way.
I might just get ambitious on a certain part of 144 north of Renovo tho ;)
Love that stretch and have not done it on the Vstrom.

Then take a break at Yesterdays.
•••••

hit Washington DC. Pretty expensive,
you got that right and traffic is horrendous but a worthwhile stop is at the Smithsonian Aerospace museum outside of town.

Stuff there will take your breath away. The actual Enola Gay. a retired space shuttle, the Blackbird.....

you don't know how big that sucker is until you stand under it...

P1070196.JPG

mored
https://picasaweb.google.com/113408714888195024530/SmithsonianAerospace

Things are much cheaper if you stay on the western side of the BRP - Amish country...lovely rolling farm land, some wicked roads over the ridges that give the Blue Ridge its name.
Then cut under DC towards the east.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom