Dead battery issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dead battery issue

New_Era_Inc

Hey everyone,

My wife and I went riding last weekend. I didn't touch the bikes all week. I have a Suzuki 600 and she rides a Ducati monster. Last night I went to take my bike out, and my battery was completely drained. So I figured I would take my wife's bike but her battery was drained as well. Seems a bit weird to me that both batteries were completely dead at the same time.

Can anyone explain this ? I have never had an issue with the batteries even after the winter season. They r both fairly new batteries.

Thanks
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm that is really odd. What symptom leads you to believe the batteries were drained? No dash lights, slow turn over? Is it possible the keys were left in the on position when you returned?

Both bikes were left in the OFF position. The starter just wouldn't crank. The headlight and ignition lights came on. I boosted my bike with my car and it turned on right away. I slow charged both bikes and now they seem fine. I have no idea why the batteries drained like that.

That is strange, wouldn't be that weird if it was only one of them but for both to go that is really weird. Glad both are working again.

I know. I think it might have something to do with the high temperatures we had this past week. Just a thought

Found this interesting article :
"Self Discharge

One not-so-nice feature of lead acid batteries is that they discharge all by themselves even if not used. A general rule of thumb is a one percent per day rate of self-discharge. This rate increases at high temperatures and decreases at cold temperatures. "

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/motor_battery.php

Check the lead acid levels on your batteries, then keep on computerized trickle charge. If they are low then top them up. If the acid level goes below the min then the battery will have less than full capacity. it is hot, so acid might have evaporated off.

Check the lead acid levels on your batteries, then keep on computerized trickle charge. If they are low then top them up. If the acid level goes below the min then the battery will have less than full capacity. it is hot, so acid might have evaporated off.

Top it up with distilled water right ?

Last edited:
Do your bikes have alarms? My friend and his wife installed an alarm, and three days later both of their bikes batteries were dead. Recharging them got them up and running but they only lasted a week or two before they were toast. Bought new batteries, unhooked alarm system :(

Do your bikes have alarms? My friend and his wife installed an alarm, and three days later both of their bikes batteries were dead. Recharging them got them up and running but they only lasted a week or two before they were toast. Bought new batteries, unhooked alarm system :(

No alarm. All stock.

Top it up with distilled water right?...

Yes, use distilled water, right up to the top line, and monitor every other week. I use a piece of paper on my bike and write down the last time I checked and topped up. Too many batteries have died on me due to evaporation. Checking my battery is a pain in the touche.

Yes, use distilled water, right up to the top line, and monitor every other week. I use a piece of paper on my bike and write down the last time I checked and topped up. Too many batteries have died on me due to evaporation. Checking my battery is a pain in the touche.

Awesome. Thanks for the tip.

I removed my bike's battery and it states that adding water is not required. I removed the top seal and there's only one small hole. I left it as is. I thought there would be different holes for each battery cell. Any thoughts ? It's a koyo battery.

I haven't done the wife's bike yet.

I also have a Koyo battery. it has a yellow plug for each cell. On the front of the battery are two water level lines. The spout on the side is to vent excess gases. It is red in the photo. Also the plastic body should be tralsuscent, so that you can actually see the electrolyte level. Some maintenance free batteries have a black body.

Can you post a pic of your battery or at least the model number?

thumb_2015_01_15%2016_48_15_1.jpg

Last edited:
I also have a Koyo battery. it has a yellow plug for each cell. On the front of the battery are two water level lines. The spout on the side is to vent excess gases. It is red in the photo. Also the plastic body should be tralsuscent, so that you can actually see the electrolyte level. Some maintenance free batteries have a black body.

Can you post a pic of your battery or at least the model number?

thumb_2015_01_15%2016_48_15_1.jpg

Mine is a black battery. There's no water line marks and yellow caps. I will take a pic tonight.

Could just be a coincidence both batts died at athe same time. Black batt is probably a maintenance free one. No water to fill with. How old are they? I used to consider 4 years the life span of a batt, but my last maintenance free one went at least 7 years.

Could just be a coincidence both batts died at athe same time. Black batt is probably a maintenance free one. No water to fill with. How old are they? I used to consider 4 years the life span of a batt, but my last maintenance free one went at least 7 years.

Mine is around 3 years old. My wife's at least 5 years.

Mine is a black battery. There's no water line marks and yellow caps. I will take a pic tonight.

Most likely a sealed battery, not supposed to open them or add any fuilds ever. Once sealed from from the original filling when the battery was first put into service, your not supposed to open them again. It usually says right on the cap where it was filled "DO NOT OPEN", and even if you tried you would have to pry that cap open as its designed to lock and not open again

I have probably 30 of them all dead, that I have replaced on my bikes or customers

Last edited:
Most likely a sealed battery, not supposed to open them or add any fuilds ever. Once sealed from from the original filling when the battery was first put into service, your not supposed to open them again. It usually says right on the cap where it was filled "DO NOT OPEN", and even if you tried you would have to pry that cap open as its designed to lock and not open again

I have probably 30 of them all dead, that I have replaced on my bikes or customers

I didn't have to pry it open. It has a small notch on the side to open it and it clips back on again. There's one hole with a rubber cap underneath the seal.

I charged both batteries and they seem fine for now. If problem persists I will just get new batteries. Not worth messing around with acid ;)

Back
Top Bottom