Refrigerate after opening | GTAMotorcycle.com

Refrigerate after opening

nobbie48

Site Supporter
It's handy to carry some nourishment in the boxes and lots of stuff is OK until the "Refrigerate after opening" kicks in.

Garbage food seems less affected, Twinkies, cookies, candy etc but what other snacks are OK.

Breads are OK for a few days usually and peanut butter or honey seems to last forever. Mayo based spreads in a warm top box should come with directions to the nearest hospital.

I don't know how safe the single serve packs are and for how long. They include salad dressings (The fast food places keep them in a cooler), ketchup, relish, jams etc.

What, if any, foods do you carry?

I carry fruits, veg, granola bars, and canned food. Ill usually go do grocery for the night and next morning after I setup camp.

The harder chewy pepperettes are my go to travel food. Used to get 500gr. @ $10 but this year $10 for 375gr. seems to be all the rage. Also love to bring cans of asparagus tips and/or cuts.

Only ever carry emergency handful of granola bars. Braving the local cuisine is part of the fun for me. If the greasy spoons are too greasy the fallback is usually whatever heatable foods the nearest grocery/convenience/gas station has. Maybe you guys are riding directly up the side of a mountain or something, IDK.

I usually eat fast food throughout the day but for dinner / late night eating, ill hit up a grocery store for some real food and keep it in the mini fridge in the hotel room

We've got about 3-4 days of food in the topcase.

Lunches are mostly sandwiches: Jams and peanut butter keep well. Non-sliced salami and pre-cooked sausages keep a little bit longer than luncheon meats. Mustard keeps forever compared to mayonnaise.

For dinner, we have a boiler that we can make pasta, rice or couscous, + packets of sauce that also keep well. When doing a grocery run we make sure only to buy just enough perishables that can be consumed in a day or two. If you like eggs, you can hard boil them right away and they'll keep a few days and not be as messy if they get thrown around in your case. Can be made into an egg salad sandwich in a pinch.

Breakfasts are boiled oatmeal that we can sprinkle with dried or fresh fruits.

Speaking of boiled oatmeal, I put in virgin coconut oil. It keeps a very long time, is tasty and they* say it's a super food.

* I don't know who they are.

smoked meats will last many days, dried fruits from places like bulkbarn will last weeks, eggs can go a week or more. Pancake mix that is add water only is handy, anything you'd do on a camp trip works on the bike. Sandwiches made up in the am and foil wrapped are good all day.

I love local food places but my colon doth protest sometimes. Nothing makes a day long like the third dismount an hour after breakfast.

who determines if a coconut is a virgin or not?

That's a tough nut to crack. Like I said I don't know who they are or even who they think they are. Maybe Gilligan knows. Will forward any new info as it becomes available.

Last edited:
Anything dried can be kept a lomg time. Dried fruits, vegetables. Beef jerky. Nuts & grains are healthy & can be stored ie. Almonds, peanuts

Duh! They are the ones that don't have a hole in them.

Back in May I spent a couple weeks in Polynesia , we sailed out to the Tuamoto atoll about 300 miles east of Tahiti to go diving with the sharks (the black tip sharks are only about 5ft long and don't eat people) , on the deserted islands , Gilligan types, most of the coconuts with holes in them harbored hermit crabs, you'd want to be careful assuming a non virgin coconut was ripe for the picking.......

Energy bars, gels can replace a lunch in a pinch.
Protein shakes and meal replacement powder too.

Back
Top Bottom