Southwood Rd. JULY 28 2015 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Southwood Rd. JULY 28 2015

killerkeith

Holy ****. Do you people from Toronto really drive all this way for this piece of **** road? I've been vacationing in muskoka this week and brought my bike. I have been able to get out several times to explore the wonderful roads the area has to offer. Having never done this famous road, I was excited to try it out. First off, it is in such disrepair I thought I might be on the road to Calcutta. The potholes were being repaired that day by a friendly crew and for maybe 1km, they had laid fresh black top. Just when I thought this whore of a road might be worth the 5$ in gas, the **** conditions continued. the fixed potholes had tons of asphalt debris everywhere. Did I mention sand in each corner? What a waste of time. keep those southwood crash video coming.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

It wasn't so bad 10 years ago

I rode it once about 2 years ago and it was quite good/fun. Everyone else on the ride was commenting how they hadn't seen it that good in a few years (in terms of very little sand, etc) so betting 9 times out of 10 its not in good shape.

Was just going to ask about this. I've heard everyone day how **** it is, and end of summer is the only time it might be OK. It looks very twisty on the map, and the street view section I saw looked like fresh pavement.

Guess I won't bother.

I still think this is the best road to ride in Southern Ontario, goes to show you how ****** are roads are when i rank this the best.

It's not a road for beginner's or squids trying to drag a knee.

If you want to ride a road that is pool table smooth free of sand and pot holes with lots of turns, then go do a track day at Calabogie.

I say the same thing. I have no idea why that road is desirable to ride at all. :dontknow:
It actually is, but you got to be going at "certain" speed and know what you are doing very well.

Last edited:
I was there last on July 5th and it was actually in very good shape for an Ontario back road. Sure there was a little bit of sand in a few turns but you just have to be careful and not fly like a moron into blind corners.

I was there last on July 5th and it was actually in very good shape for an Ontario back road. Sure there was a little bit of sand in a few turns but you just have to be careful and not fly like a moron into blind corners.
Was there earlier this season and it was fine for me too.

I thought it was an excellent road and I can't wait to ride it again.

I was on the road last weekend, seemed pretty good to me. There are sections that you have to take it easy but overall I thought it was in good shape.

You people have very low standards. Ride Hwy 632. Much much better. Knees were dragged.

141 is better for dragging pucks.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

there are other roads closer by as well...north east area...

Sounds like a road down by me. desert lake road, now if that thing had fresh pavement, those warning signs of 20km corners would be a blast. By the sounds of it I am lucky I didn't make the trip up there for this road.

One of the problems with living in Canada.
Motorcycle season and construction season are at the same time.

My pet peeve:
I understand why they have to pebble the pavement on a road when they resurface it.
What I don't understand is why they pebble it weeks or even months before they actually resurface it.

I used to think northern Ontario roads were awesome. Until I saw some awesome roads.
If I ride in Ontario, it's just for the purpose of getting out of Ontario.
Ski country in NY and PA is no farther from home than the Muskokas are-with less traffic, cheaper gas and motels, and cops that write speeding tickets, not jail sentences and impound forms.

I used to think northern Ontario roads were awesome. Until I saw some awesome roads.
If I ride in Ontario, it's just for the purpose of getting out of Ontario.
Ski country in NY and PA is no farther from home than the Muskokas are-with less traffic, cheaper gas and motels, and cops that write speeding tickets, not jail sentences and impound forms.
Do you mind sending me some good NY or PA roads I'll check them out next year.

What do you say when they ask why you're crossing the border, just that you're going for a ride?

What do you say when they ask why you're crossing the border, just that you're going for a ride?

Yup, it's allowed. It's better to be specific (I'm going to ride in western PA on roads XX and YY, coming back this evening) because they will try to poke holes in made up and/or vague stories. Generally though you have it easy on a bike because obviously there aren't many places you could fill with drugs/illegal Canadian immigrants/Kinder Surprise etc

Back
Top Bottom