Just filter up, what are you waiting for? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Just filter up, what are you waiting for?

Remember when that kid was waving a pocket knife on the TTC and the cops shot him 7 or 8 times, kicked the hell out of his corpse and then tazed him? I think you'd get worse from the cops here if they caught you doing this.

All the video showed ..is the reason they will never make it legal here.

Please elaborate on as to why you say that... I didnt see him endanger anyone and I didnt see him hold up any traffic at all.

Last edited:
Please elaborate on as to why you say that... I didnt see him endanger anyone and I didnt see him hold up any traffic at all.

What about the pedestrains IN the crosswalk, who had to move to avoid him? Including the man who had to stop to let him pass. hell now we have to wait for a pedestrian to cross ALL lanes before going. That is why his riding style would land him in a boat load of hot water here. I guess you also havent seen the youtube video, from London where granny "pops" out from between vehicles and gets hit by the lane splitter.

What about the pedestrains IN the crosswalk, who had to move to avoid him? Including the man who had to stop to let him pass. hell now we have to wait for a pedestrian to cross ALL lanes before going. That is why his riding style would land him in a boat load of hot water here. I guess you also havent seen the youtube video, from London where granny "pops" out from between vehicles and gets hit by the lane splitter.

My folks just came back from a few weeks in Southern France and they told me this is just what pedestrian traffic is like in Europe. You have to watch where you walk. Pedestrians have a responsibility for their own safety. I am not even going to bring up what it was like to ride a motorbike / be a pedestrian in Vietnam for 4 weeks this winter. I think that motorcycles should be treated simular to bicycles. Still have to follow the HTA but allow for lane sharing, going wrong way on a oneway..etc.

Last edited:
What about the pedestrains IN the crosswalk, who had to move to avoid him? Including the man who had to stop to let him pass.

Ummmmmmmm.... so at 1:30, when RJ went forward and through the intersection, he was facing a green light for motor vehicle traffic and the pedestrian walk countdown timer (like we have here) was down to ZERO. Now I could be wrong, and maybe London does things really bonkers, but I'd suggest those two particular pedestrians you're talking about (along with all the others in that crosswalk that you're not) - are trying to get across when they shouldn't be. If that's right then you can throw your argument out the window like old piano...

Lane sharing also comes down to what bike you ride. Right now I am on a bandit 1200s. Its a big over 500lb bike with very large mirrors. I cannot filter very well with this bike and I dont try to squeeze into impossible spots because I know the limitation of my skill and my bike. Today I had to sit in traffic on Bathurst from King up to St. Clair for 25 minutes... if I had a small bike I could have done this section in 10min by filtering. Now lets say someone is riding a CBR 125 or a 250. This is practically a bicycle with a small motor, you can fit those things anywhere without any issue. If we got lane sharing small bikes would benefit vastly where is big bikes like sport tourers and cruisers wouldn't.

You mean all the pedestrians crossing illegally on a no walk signal? My heart bleeds for them.

Pedestrians walking through an intersection on a green... Jaywalking between vehicles on a roadway. From what I recall, those are both also illegal.
That being said, someone mentioned that the pedestrians watch where they're going and avoid the vehicle when they walk through intersections.
I experienced the exact same behavior in New York City. Everyone walks whenever they want and move out of a way if there is a car coming. In terms the biker causing harm to the pedestrian - the pedestrian is actually doing harm to the motorcyclist. Same effect as walking across all lanes of highway traffic. Problem in Ontario is that the laws favor the pedestrian and enable them to be dumbasses staring at their phone jaywalking across traffic without a glace to the roadway.

@ 1:07 and 1:44 ask yourself did that look safe? I am all for filtering but it's abuse like that will assure it never comes here. Heck are some of you people not dealing with the lowering of the speed limit on residential streets in the current 50 or 60 or whatever it is now seams safe, but they want to make it safer.

I guess I ascribe to the old notion that two wrongs do not make a right. So if a pedestrian is doing something illegal then that gives the bike the right to also do something illegal. Can't comment on London laws, but here the rider would be the one charged if they hit a pedsetrian in a crosswalk. Regardless of who gets charged your insurer would ahve you bending over here too.

Pedestrians walking through an intersection on a green... Jaywalking between vehicles on a roadway. From what I recall, those are both also illegal.
That being said, someone mentioned that the pedestrians watch where they're going and avoid the vehicle when they walk through intersections.
I experienced the exact same behavior in New York City. Everyone walks whenever they want and move out of a way if there is a car coming. In terms the biker causing harm to the pedestrian - the pedestrian is actually doing harm to the motorcyclist. Same effect as walking across all lanes of highway traffic. Problem in Ontario is that the laws favor the pedestrian and enable them to be dumbasses staring at their phone jaywalking across traffic without a glace to the roadway.

There are no two wrongs, the only one wrong is the pedestrian crossing when the rider has a green light.
Sorry but you are incorrect in both counts, if there are witnesses to say the pedestrian is crossing when they are not supposed to, the vehicle will not get charged

I guess I ascribe to the old notion that two wrongs do not make a right. So if a pedestrian is doing something illegal then that gives the bike the right to also do something illegal. Can't comment on London laws, but here the rider would be the one charged if they hit a pedsetrian in a crosswalk. Regardless of who gets charged your insurer would ahve you bending over here too.

I guess I ascribe to the old notion that two wrongs do not make a right. So if a pedestrian is doing something illegal then that gives the bike the right to also do something illegal. Can't comment on London laws, but here the rider would be the one charged if they hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk. Regardless of who gets charged your insurer would ahve you bending over here too.

Why is it so one sided?
This is exactly the idea I'm trying to convey. Take lane filtering out of the equation.

If a pedestrian decided to walk through through an intersection, it is their sole responsibility to not walk when the hand is solid red and traffic is passing through on a green. That being said, it is the responsibility of the driver to stop when the light is red.

If either of them decides to ignore these responsibilities, they are risking their lives, and the other's lives. It has been noted that the rider went through green lights therefore adhering to his responsibility to proceed when indicated to do so. It is supposed to be the pedestrian's responsibility not to cross.

Why is the one to blame be only the driver? Our laws just enable pedestrians to not give a crap about where they're walking because they know that it's always the motor vehicle operator's fault. On multiple instances near York U, I have encountered "gangster dressed" people walking through the intersection with raised middle fingers through Jane and Steeles. Situation would be completely different if the blame was on the pedestrians - they'd at least wise up and know their lives are at risk if it were their fault for doing something stupid.

Insurance has nothing to do with why lane filtering is bad.

Last edited:
This is all quite normal in England. RJ has some great videos on his Husqrvana Nuda.

Thanks for bringing up one of the main reasons that it wouldn't work here.

Over in Europe, everyone tries to look out for each other, whether pedestrian, bike, scooter, motorcycle, car, van, truck.

Pretty sure that was London..so no jaywalking laws. Also if things haven't changed that much then you're supposed to watch out for pedestrians at all times. Having said that, there's a much more free for all attitude to crossing roads over there and people keep an eye out for filterers and cyclists a bit more as they seem to be a bit more street savvy.

Thanks for bringing up one of the main reasons that it wouldn't work here.

Over in Europe, everyone tries to look out for each other, whether pedestrian, bike, scooter, motorcycle, car, van, truck.

Eh. I grew up in Russia, and while it's not Europe traffic there is chaotic at times as well.
People don't look out for each other, at least in my experience. They look out for themselves. That's why the system works. Where I'm from pedestrian was the lowest tier of traffic. Nobody yields to the pedestrian, pedestrian yields to everyone else.
People would follow common sense rules that made them safer - Don't walk across the road without looking first. If you walk on the road, walk against traffic, etcetera.

Here people don't have that notion. Just today some guy ran out onto the middle of the street and froze up when he saw me approach on my bicycle. He essentially wasn't thinking. Luckily I was looking ahead and swerved around him.
Same when lane splitting. People just jaywalk across the road when cars are at a standstill. Nobody looks to make sure nothing is approaching between lanes or in fact whether there's anything in the other lane. Everybody expects others to look out for their safety. **** that. Look out for your own safety and don't depend on others.

Last edited:
I remember talking to a co-worker once, and they mentioned how they almost hit a 20 something who stepped out in front of their car. The 'kid' yelled "If you hit me and I'll sue". My co-worker said, "No you won't you'd be dead." Their response...."Well then my parents would sue." Response back "Yes, they likely would, and they would likely win. I'd feel terrible for what happened, but end of the day, you'd still be dead." The kid never got the point.

As for filtering/splitting, even if it were made legal tomorrow, I wouldn't do it. Drivers here are just too bad, and it is hard enough to not get hit when you have your entire lane as buffer space. Just last weekend I was almost merged-into on the 401 when a SUV driver decided mirror or shoulder checks were unnecessary. Only thing that saved me was I had a feeling he might cut over, and was able to break and get behind him, while swerving over to the other tire track of my lane. Had I been beside him and another car, I would ahve been sandwiched.

Also don't forget, given how insurance and ticketing works in Ontario, even if splitting were legal, if someone does something stupid and you hit them, then you are at fault.

Back
Top Bottom