Starting Tomorrow 3 Person HOV Lanes turn into 2... what does that mean for us? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Starting Tomorrow 3 Person HOV Lanes turn into 2... what does that mean for us?

mannsimr

Only one i've been using lately is the one on the Gardiner because it actually has the icon for motorcycles on the signs. I have heard that we can ride in 2 person lanes but not seen anything in writing.

So does anyone know what the deal is?

No change. There never was a change. Motorcycles with just the rider are OK - and signs indicate thus - on roads administered by the city of Toronto. Motorcycles with just the rider are not allowed in HOV lanes anywhere else and the signs don't indicate so, either.

The only thing that changes is that if you are carrying a passenger you can use the 2-person HOV. The 3-person HOV ruled out the use of ALL vehicles that can only carry two people. Motorcycle, Corvette, Miata, smart, standard-cab trucks with only two seats, etc. But it was only incidental, as a side effect of requiring 3 people. It was never explicit ... you just couldn't legally meet the 3-person requirement with those vehicles.

Last edited:
No change. There never was a change. Motorcycles with just the rider are OK - and signs indicate thus - on roads administered by the city of Toronto. Motorcycles with just the rider are not allowed in HOV lanes anywhere else and the signs don't indicate so, either.

The only thing that changes is that if you are carrying a passenger you can use the 2-person HOV. The 3-person HOV ruled out the use of ALL vehicles that can only carry two people. Motorcycle, Corvette, Miata, smart, standard-cab trucks with only two seats, etc. But it was only incidental, as a side effect of requiring 3 people. It was never explicit ... you just couldn't legally meet the 3-person requirement with those vehicles.

Well...
garden-state-2004-motorcycle-largeman-mark-sam-zach-braff-peter-sarsgaard-natalie-portman-review.jpg

wait wait wait

Can bikes go in the HOV lane? This is literally the first thread about the topic so it's all new and fresh to me

wait wait wait

Can bikes go in the HOV lane? This is literally the first thread about the topic so it's all new and fresh to me

*waits for someone to take you seriously, again ? *

HOV lanes are ruined.

I'm gonna have to go back to taking lakeshore.

It was nice while it lasted.

wait wait wait

I laughed and think you are funny. Nothing wrong with a sense of humour.
Now can we talk about oil or "What is this thing you call Goooogle"

Sorry Joe. Nothing personal. You are also funny. Good funny.

These HOV lanes have been the best thing ever. My 50 minute ride from Pickering to Yonge and Bloor turned into 25 mins.
I rode in a 9am today. There were definitely more people in it on the 401, but it moved pretty quickly still. The DVP was pretty much clear in all lanes the entire way which was odd.

These HOV lanes have been the best thing ever. My 50 minute ride from Pickering to Yonge and Bloor turned into 25 mins.
I rode in a 9am today. There were definitely more people in it on the 401, but it moved pretty quickly still. The DVP was pretty much clear in all lanes the entire way which was odd.
A lot of people havent caught on to it. Seems like westenders have though

If your 25 minute ride includes the HOV on the 401, then you are extremely lucky to not have been caught/ticketed yet. As others have said, we're only allowed on the Gardiner and DVP...not the 401 or 404.

Just to be clear, the DVP is south of the 401, and the 404 is north of the 401. Same road, 2 jurisdictions, 2 sets of rules?

Municipal and provincial iirc. Haven't really paid attention. No need to be on any of those roads lately.

Three times as many cars in the HOV on DVP this morning at 7:30AM. Little slower than what I experienced the past few weeks but not so bad. Funny though, the three cars in front of me from York Mills to Bloor were single-occupancy (unless all three were carrying children in car seats in the back). Much less police presence too.

The HOV lanes on the DVP and the Gardiner allow motorcycles regardless of a passenger.
The ones on the 401 and the 404 do not.
I haven't been on the Allen, Black Creek Drive or the 427 since they started so I don't know what the story is there or if those roads even have HOV lanes.

Using the DVP this morning was good as usual, but coming home at 5pm was brutal. Traffic stopped at Don Mills and the HOV lane was stopped along with it all the way to the 401.

I was riding northbound on the DVP HOV lane today around mid-day. I happened to notice a Metro police bike coming up behind me, so I kept the speed in check. As usual, the speed differential from the centre lane to the HOV lane was substantial......one frustrated guy from the centre lane swung over to the HOV right in front of me, not quite a panic situation, but close. The Metro bike wasted no time in pulling the guy over.....don't know if he got nailed for improper use of HOV or a dangerous lane change.

Back
Top Bottom