How can I stop animals from coming in the back yard? Dog keeps killing them | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How can I stop animals from coming in the back yard? Dog keeps killing them

It's a siberian husky with a strong hunt drive. I'm ruling training out right now. I can't commit the time for it. I'm working 70hrs a week right now and can just managed to the daily walks real early and real late. She's always wanted to hunt and really gets into it. There is no solution for this. Even training won't stop it.

Tired of her smelling like a skunk. I was wondering there was something possibly in the yard or what the dog does that attracts these wild animals.

Will look for holes created by skunks, but we combed through the yard pretty well. Will do it again!

The skunks are after the grubs in your lawn most likely.Spray your lawn with nematodes to get rid of them.Works really well.

There is no way we'd be able to train it out of my dog. Can't train him if it's happening while we're asleep.

Actually, he'd just pick up whatever animal, shake it, and throw it out of his range. Silly animal (usually raccoons) would then get up and come back. Repeat until dead. So dumb.

I could use that dog now that I live in Toronto and they dump my green over every night. At least they're kind of cute but they change quickly if you get too close.

Huskies are hard to train in my experience. But I'm no dog whisperer. How does one be "alpha" to a dog?

If they're coming under your fence you can try securing chicken wire in an L shape against the ground and attached to the fence. We had to do that to keep the dog in because he kept burrowing under the fence and escaping.

Thanks! I'll try it out.
It's not an overnite fix.But it really works when used as directed.I had my backyard turned upside down a couple of times.

Tire, train, treat.

Can you "call off" your dog? Get him to stop mid chase? If no then he doesn't respect (obey) you and that is your first problem.

I've seen a 7 year old hound be taught to ignore the rabbits or other critters and just go for deer. This was a pet for the first 7 years and had NO training.

Huskies are smart but be smarter. Tire, train, treat. Repeat. It's harder if they are older but not impossible. It will be if you try all of the above but don't tackle the root of the problem. You want your dog to stop making gore.

So stop him.

Raccoon warning: A raccoon was curled up sleeping on the neighbour's lawn the other day about mid morning. While it looked cute and pet-like it is apparently the final stages of some disease they get. Mad Raccoon disease? Don't know if dogs can get it from contact. Bloor / 427 area.

wouldn't letting your dog poop into your back yard make the other animals smell the predator and just 'go away' ?

1) Critter ridder
2) Suspension of cayenne pepper in gear oil
3) Petition the governments (will require a patchwork of federal/provincial/municipal legislation) to allow us to shoot the damn things

Your husky actually killed skunks? I've seen that fight go down before, and the skunk easily won

Your husky actually killed skunks? I've seen that fight go down before, and the skunk easily won
Huskies are natural dogs, not bred for pets. They are primal & I'm willing to put $ on the husky

Huskies are natural dogs, not bred for pets. They are primal & I'm willing to put $ on the husky

Huskies have two modes - slightly too aggressive and complete infant

Shane, this should also work if I put it around my garden? They keep eating my veggies!
Btw, thanks for the weed tips, garden looks better, and not killing myself.
Yes it would work around the garden too. Even black pepper will work (and very cheap/common, but in some cases it may not be as effective).

Killed a couple over the years. I'm tired of it. It's so hard when she gets sprayed the entire house stinks.

I highly doubt you have seen a siberian husky fighting a skunk. Must've been a weak dog.

Killed a couple over the years. I'm tired of it. It's so hard when she gets sprayed the entire house stinks.

I highly doubt you have seen a siberian husky fighting a skunk. Must've been a weak dog.

You come to me, you ask how do I stop animal murder from happening in my backyard. But you don't ask with respect. You come into my house, you call my dog weak

Go stronger .. coyote or wolf urine.

I'm in the same boat. 1 groundhog, 3 possums (caught but not killed), 1 rabbit, multiple mice and voles, 1 robin and 1 unknown. all in the last year.

Back
Top Bottom