How can I stop animals from coming in the back yard? Dog keeps killing them | GTAMotorcycle.com

How can I stop animals from coming in the back yard? Dog keeps killing them

LiNK666

Over last six months: two skunks, 4 racoons and a squirrel.

We checked all over there are no holes. They keep climbing over the fence and the husky keeps killing them. She loves to hunt.

Tired of blood and guts over the back yard. How can I stop them from coming over? I don't know what's attracting them. We keep the yard clean... rarely any dog poop in the back.

This post provides no real solution but you could always just thin out the animal population enough by not doing anything...

Or you could make it so the top of the fence is impassible (Not a flat board) or coat it with something to scare off the buggers via scent.

Skunks and Raccoons are always after food. Usually someone's garbage can they know how to open, or a pet food dish they sneak a few bites out of. These animals are natural prey for your dog so it's no surprise it loves to catch them. Not much of a solution unless you can find out where the food is. Wild animals always live on the edge, and risking their lives to eat comes naturally.

Sprinkle cayenne pepper or something else that will irritate their noses as they sniff around, but place up high so your dog doesn't get irritated. Needs to applied every now and then but often lasts up to a couple of months. I used to put it along the top of my fence, especially where the critters would enter from nearby trees and shrubs. It can be bought as an overpriced product called 'critter ridder', but the main ingredient is often a pepper of some sort.

Shane, this should also work if I put it around my garden? They keep eating my veggies!
Btw, thanks for the weed tips, garden looks better, and not killing myself.

Shane, this should also work if I put it around my garden? They keep eating my veggies!
Btw, thanks for the weed tips, garden looks better, and not killing myself.
Dog hair in a ladies see threw thin sock. My mom uses this in her garden to keep rabbits and other critters out.

Dog hair in a ladies see threw thin sock. My mom uses this in her garden to keep rabbits and other critters out.

How does that work?

Link, I cannot answer your question, but can I borrow your dog for a week? I have skunks and raccoons that I wouldn't mind if they were eaten.

Train your dog to leave them alone.

Simple solution. "Fetch it up" and "leave it" are some of the most useful phrases ever.

You can buy some powdered fox urine and put some on the edge of your backyard. That and Critter Ridder like shane said. You can easily make some yourself with kitchen spices.

Last edited:
Had a similar issue at my place,I noticed that the visitors were usually funneled to the same back corner of the yard so I put up a garden trellis that works as a makeshift ladder to allow the chased to climb up and out of the yard.
This has worked well for the last few years if you duplicate this idea I recommend roses or some other thorny plant for the trellis so it costs some skin and discourages repeats.

My husky used to kill them all the time, too. We never worried about it much but over his whole lifetime it was only maybe 4 racoons and a skunk. He also got a really bad infection when a skunk bit a huge chunk out of his *** after he turned to run after getting sprayed right in the mouth. Fun times. We lived in the boonies and he got fewer animals than you. Although he was usually on a leash. That didn't stop the racoons from just coming back until they were dead. Not very smart.

Skunks typically burrow and dig holes for access. They love grubs and dig up the lawn. So look low for access into the yard. You might be surprised.

As for raccoons, your yard might be strategically located near a place they like to go.

Critters also like dog food so, if you leave some out for the dog, it might attract them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Train your dog to leave them alone.

Simple solution. "Fetch it up" and "leave it" are some of the most useful phrases ever.

This

Can't prevent wild animals from being wild. Train your domestic dog.

Your dog is already providing you the most permanent solution. The critter-ridder and fox urine might be effective on the skunks, but the raccoons won't be bothered by it. I've tried all of those things including wolf urine, but they either don't know what a wolf smells like, or they don't care. Plus, you'll end up curled up on the lawn gagging if the wind shifts while you are applying the urine.

The raccoons may not be looking for food; they also tend to find flat areas and use them as communal latrines. I have had moderate success with motion-activated ultrasonic devices called "CatStop", but they are stupidly expensive and they don't cover a very large area. You also need to rotate them fairly frequently so the raccoons don't just find some other spot in your yard to crap. A motion-activated sprinkler would probably be more effective, but your dog or neighbors would trip it too.

Before you train him... i'll borrow him as well. My townhome complex owners will thank him with treats?

I don't believe Caesar Milan could train a canine to stop hunting after they have a taste.

You'd have to take them out of the environment completely.

It's not the same as training for obedience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, yes it is. Be consistent and be alpha. They will follow.

Dogs are trainable, sometimes the owners not so much.

There used to be a racoon that poops on my patio. Exact same spot. I put black pepper there. He hasn't come back

Back
Top Bottom