Rebuilding a 2 stroke? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rebuilding a 2 stroke?

Nope, that's one of my firecracker Yamaha RDs. It runs STUPID compression and 112 octane fuel... UNLEADED fuel.

His RS caught a ring in the exhaust port... then dug a trench into the cylinder wall

Nope, that's one of my firecracker Yamaha RDs. It runs STUPID compression and 112 octane fuel... UNLEADED fuel.

His RS caught a ring in the exhaust port... then dug a trench into the cylinder wall
What causes that?

What causes that?

any pics of rs125 damage?

did you say motor was rebuilt by previous owner?

on the upside, i find $500 for cylinder and piston a reasonable cost. are these good quality from a reputable source?

hung ring on exhaust port...excessive wear maybe, and or combined with poor chamfering during last rebuild. whats your take on it bittz?

running the rs125 at or above redline, in top gear, for SUSTAINED PERIODS OF TIME is not good to engine life. running up to redline while working up through the gears is acceptable. if your riding for sustained periods of time try to keep the bike at least a few hundred rpm below redline. EDIT: looking back in the thread the engine was rebuilt previously due to a seizure. and others have mentioned to you that engine seizures during cool weather often happen. I would really try running the bike with a one step richer main jet - you can always change it back if not happy. and change the rubber intake - before it really does cause you problems.

Last edited:
The working theory is the rings were worn past spec and that allowed them to enter the exhaust port (the biggest port).
The port chamfer was OK, at least it wasn't a problem for several thousand kilometers, so I don't think it all of a sudden BECAME a problem.

It was jetted nice and fat, maybe even TOO fat (the stinger is full of oil) and the intake boot is fine.
Other than the ring embedded in the side, the piston looks neigh on perfect. Lubrication was not an issue, what ever oil he was using seems to work.
I think Aprillia's maintenance schedule, at least in regards to the rings, is a little optimistic... maybe even A LOT optimistic.

any pics of rs125 damage?
Bitzz would have to supply them as he's got the bike right now.

did you say motor was rebuilt by previous owner?
He said it seized solid on him on the 403 at about 130 kph at about 5000 km. Whoever he took it to told him it was too lean and made it much richer. As of the last fillup, about 1 hr before failure, it had 12211km on it.

on the upside, i find $500 for cylinder and piston a reasonable cost. are these good quality from a reputable source?
That's a Mitaka kit from AF1 Racing in the US. They claim it is the same quality as Aprilia parts, at 1/3 the price, and they run it in their endurance race bike without any problems.
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=38844

hung ring on exhaust port...excessive wear maybe, and or combined with poor chamfering during last rebuild. whats your take on it bittz?

running the rs125 at or above redline, in top gear, for SUSTAINED PERIODS OF TIME is not good to engine life. running up to redline while working up through the gears is acceptable. if your riding for sustained periods of time try to keep the bike at least a few hundred rpm below redline. EDIT: looking back in the thread the engine was rebuilt previously due to a seizure. and others have mentioned to you that engine seizures during cool weather often happen. I would really try running the bike with a one step richer main jet - you can always change it back if not happy. and change the rubber intake - before it really does cause you problems.
Only comment I have here is that it seized during hot weather (well it was supposed to be like 30+ that day but it was only 25ish so I was happy it wasn't as hot as I was used to) and like Bitzz said, it's running so rich I have oil pouring out all the mating points in the exhaust (which I was told by the importer is a good thing but Bitzz let me know I was heading for a fire soon).

Last edited:
Lubrication was not an issue, what ever oil he was using seems to work.
I think Aprillia's maintenance schedule, at least in regards to the rings, is a little optimistic... maybe even A LOT optimistic.

I'm going to have to look into that. Maybe the service manual I found online isn't correct or I'm misunderstanding it.

Here's what I have from a 2006 service manual. Everything I can find online says they are the same from 2006-2009 but I believe the 2009 model (mine) has newer styled bodywork.

5mgs3Nv.png

Last edited:
i didn't realize someone had already richened up the carb. good that the damage was limited to the top end. it could have looked like the firecracker RD400 lol

top end kit sounds like a good deal. keep us posted bitzz.

hey 33T, if you have a pic of the bike would you post it up? id like to see what this lwt firecracker looks like!

firecracker, never heard that expression before. i like it. im guessing it has something to due with the way it cackles.

Last edited:
hey 33T, if you have a pic of the bike would you post it up? id like to see what this lwt firecracker looks like!

firecracker, never heard that expression before. i like it. im guessing it has something to due with the way it cackles.

Before failure:
hqqWvBD.jpg

After:
cocGqAs.jpg

(They look the same. lol)

Last year:
QtFKvCZ.jpg

Year or two ago:
GY4U2Ti.jpg

Same pic, different angle, seems to be one of few from this side:
zJRyVff.jpg

Shortly after I got it, with my 650R before I sold it to someone that destroyed it:
F6VTFpT.jpg

There's one on Kijiji right now, almost new:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...al/1076026744?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
$_27.JPG

Hope that feeds your need for pics, lol.

There are other colour schemes that I like better in other countries. Been thinking of going to all white fairings for some reason.

Here's what AF1 Racing had to tell me when I asked what they thought of Aprilia's recommended interval for the piston and rings.

We raced the RS125 extensively during the 2010 and 2011 season in our local roadrace organization. We never had a piston last longer than 1500 miles during race use.

In road use we’ve heard of pistons lasting as much as 8,000 miles, but I would consider this to be atypical.

On my street 125, road use pistons typically go at 5,000 miles.

And since my piston appears fine I asked about changing just the rings.

Piston replacement is necessary at that point. The crosshatching in the cylinder is typically so worn down by that mileage that new rings alone will not result in a restored compression.

Look what arrived today.

8b1a8b5de4cd6051e7618d1b7be7fea4.jpg

That's a shame, if it wasn't for the gouge it's otherwise in pretty good shape
We were looking at it yesterday and the piston still has those hash lines AF1 said should be missing.

new piston, rings, and cylinder: doing it right. better that you replaced all as a set - putting used parts back in would have been false economy. waiting to hear an update from bitzz soon. love that eighth litre firecracker. from what i read, your one of the few who got the rs125 road legal.

new piston, rings, and cylinder: doing it right. better that you replaced all as a set - putting used parts back in would have been false economy. waiting to hear an update from bitzz soon. love that eighth litre firecracker. from what i read, your one of the few who got the rs125 road legal.
There are actually quite a few on the road. I've seen about 5 road legal on Kijiji.

We had to do it all unless I got the cylinder repaired which probably would've cost quite a bit, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom