Question for you lane splitters | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question for you lane splitters

I am sure the rider that was killed two weeks ago on the 401 lane splitting was sure he was doing it "safely" at the time too. It is not just cagers that are ignorant. There are many many riders who also think they re Rossi and they have mad skillz, when in reality they are just an accident waiting to happen.

i could care less if a rider lane splits, isn't going to affect my ride, BUT it will affect my insrance rates when they crash, 9regardless of who they think is at fault). As for the comment the cop may nail you. As I said in another thread fo you are true about your conviction/position, then you must be willing to accept the consequences of yoru conviction.

I am sure the rider that was killed two weeks ago on the 401 lane splitting was sure he was doing it "safely" at the time too. It is not just cagers that are ignorant. There are many many riders who also think they re Rossi and they have mad skillz, when in reality they are just an accident waiting to happen.

If you split with a large speed difference between you and moving traffic, it is no different than riding down Yonge Street at 100km/h. This isn't about being Rossi or having skills, it's about people not realizing that other operators will not, even if looking for you, be able to see you coming.

And there are just as many riders who have not taken advance courses or read about riding techniques giving horrible advice as there are "Rossi-wannabes". Both types crash, one just happens to stand out on the news because it's sensational when speed is involved.

Would lane splitters care if the reciprocal happened where cars passed you in your lane? After all the same reasonings used to justify lane splitting would also apply. Especially to the poster who asked why bicycles can get away with it.

I don't mind, I check my mirrors frequently and I am not surprised when cars approach me from behind...if they're moving faster than I am I will move all the way over and wave them by...in Ontario most drivers aren't comfortable passing a bike in its own lane but back in Cali a lot of people took advantage.

The idea that other people lane filtering/sharing in Ontario would affect insurance rates is hilariously erroneous - insurance rates here are "what the market will bear", they're not proportioned to accidents or actual risk...there is essentially an oligopoly keeping rates artificially high...to blame your fellow riders for rates is naive at best.

Last edited:
I do split as well but I try not to make it habit because eventually you will get caught the more frequently you do it. Because I know the way Canadian drivers are, I split on the left shoulder of the emergency Lane instead to minimize the contact with cars around me.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I don't mind, I check my mirrors frequently and I am not surprised when cars approach me from behind...if they're moving faster than I am I will move all the way over and wave them by...in Ontario most drivers aren't comfortable passing a bike in its own lane but back in Cali a lot of people took advantage.

The idea that other people lane filtering/sharing in Ontario would affect insurance rates is hilariously erroneous - insurance rates here are "what the market will bear", they're not proportioned to accidents or actual risk...there is essentially an oligopoly keeping rates artificially high...to blame your fellow riders for rates is naive at best.

You may be partially correct but I'm sure quite a few actuaries would disagree with you.

I am curious, if I am approaching a red light, in two or more lanes of traffic and there are say, a dozen vehicles in front of me, how is it that a police officer could charge me under section 172 of the HTC for lane splitting to the front of the line of vehicles? Doing 2-5km/h in now way could be considered "racing" "competing in a competition" "performing stunts" or "fulfilling a wager." Having my GoPro recording, I honestly can not see a judge upholding a charge.

Canadian drivers are one of the worst... Dont risk saving a few minutes or just sweat it out. I wish they could legalize it just like in the US.

haha, travel much? many places I would not consider riding at all, Canada is about as good as it gets

edit: while I would never lane split, if traffic is stopped, once or twice I have pulled off to the shoulder,
turned the blinkers on and putted in first gear, never had an issue, just check your mirrors for emerg
vehicles coming up, and be prepared for buttheads to cut you off

Last edited:
I am curious, if I am approaching a red light, in two or more lanes of traffic and there are say, a dozen vehicles in front of me, how is it that a police officer could charge me under section 172 of the HTC for lane splitting to the front of the line of vehicles? Doing 2-5km/h in now way could be considered "racing" "competing in a competition" "performing stunts" or "fulfilling a wager." Having my GoPro recording, I honestly can not see a judge upholding a charge.

There is more to that charge then you would think unfortunatly. Some things that could get you a charge under s172: standing on pegs, switching lanes too many times, squealing of tires, taking off too quickly. You most likely would not receive that charge but rather: failure to drive within lane, careless driving, unsafe lane change, etc.

I wish the province would differentiate between splitting and filtering. I don't really care if it continues to disallow the former but allowing the latter would be so much safer for us.

I never knew there was a name for "lane-splitting". Where I grew up it was OK to ride between cars. No fancy name for it. Think about it, 100's of cars waiting at a red light. You get right to the front and when the lights change, you're gone. There is no advantage to riding a bike in Ontario in rush hour traffic. Is it more dangerous to lane-split? Probably. If was legal, would I do it? Hell yeah.

Not going to pinpoint the particular rider. Common colours, green, same as the riders outfit. Mavis road going North.

Immaculate lane splitting. Very polite. Did not go to the front in-between cars. Waited behind the first pair of cars. 2 lanes. Did not race away. Let the 2 cars in front take off first.
No showing off. Kudos to you.
Now if only all riders that lane split where as efficient as this rider we would all be able to do it without annoying cagers.
I was in my cage.

You people are much better than me, splitting and such. I'm still working on Mirror Check, Left, Right, Left, Mirror Check at intersections.

Actually, my friend got nailed with that - he squished past 3 cars to make it to the turn lane... HTA172, for intentionally riding close to another vehicle in the same lane. AKA, stunting. Judge upheld it.

Actually, my friend got nailed with that - he squished past 3 cars to make it to the turn lane... HTA172, for intentionally riding close to another vehicle in the same lane. AKA, stunting. Judge upheld it.

Which is absolutely insane considering everyone (including police, and likely the judge), would squeeze (close) to the right of vehicles to make a turn if they had space to do so as well.

Would however be an issue if you're squeezing to the right of someone turning right.

Which is absolutely insane considering everyone (including police, and likely the judge), would squeeze (close) to the right of vehicles to make a turn if they had space to do so as well.

Would however be an issue if you're squeezing to the right of someone turning right.

Their logic was that since he couldn't see the turn signals of the 3 cars in front of him clearly it was dangerous, and thereby held up the stunting charge.

Their logic was that since he couldn't see the turn signals of the 3 cars in front of him clearly it was dangerous, and thereby held up the stunting charge.

Unless your friend admitted to not being able to see turn signals from 3 cars in front, wouldn't they have to prove that he couldn't?

If you were in the right tire track, unless there's a large vehicle in front of you, you'd easily be able to see signals from 3 cars ahead. If you're not positioned directly behind a car (as you would if the intent was to go around the vehicle), you'd be able to see even farther ahead.

Regardless, this charge has been BS since day 1.
https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014/12/11/opp_officer_acquitted_on_breach_of_trust_charges.html

Last edited:
I've seen it a couple of times recently during my morning commute, Hwy 7 eastbound along the Bayview to 404 section, a motorcycle using the bicycle lane to pass traffic. No impact on my commute, but i wish him luck when he gets caught.

Lived in CA where its legal - yes, it's legal, not just "not illegal", as long as you are doing it in a "safe and prudent manner" it's legal.

I occasionally split in really bad jams here - you guys saying Canadian drivers are "the worst" have clearly never driven in many other places - most people here don't give a **** if you split and filter....hell I've had people move out of the way. Try that **** in Michigan or Ohio - and then you'll see what "the worst" actually looks like.

If you get someone honking or talking ****, just give them the polite Canadian one handed-wave of "yeah I know buddy, sorry" and they'll calm down...don't give them the finger, come on (whoever was relaying that story) what you are doing is illegal, better to acknowledge that, and then people don't feel like they need to teach you a lesson.

Most cities in Ontario you don't need to actually split lanes, you can get around people by creatively using right hand turn lanes, left hand turn lanes, etc...

Edit: and the old geezers and other people acting like its scary and dangerous to split and filter - do you have any idea how embarrassing your posts are to read? It's like cringing when your too-drunk uncle starts hitting on the 20-somethings at the family gathering...just stop...nothing wrong with being a scared old ninny but no need to tell us about it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom