Question for you lane splitters | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question for you lane splitters

I do it sometimes on the highway, but only when traffic isn't moving and I do not go fast. As soon as traffic moves, i pop in behind a car. If I see police, I stop and get in the lane.

However, when in the city in traffic or red lights, I filter down all the time. I've done it in front of police too many times to count and never had an issue. Again, i do it when traffic isn't moving and I don't go fast. If there is room, I tend to stick to curb side of the lane. (assuming there is no bike lane).

As far as being on the other end, I've only ever had one splitter/filterer that didn't hold me up.
That was because he didn't have a plate, didn't give a care, and ran the red light.

They are splitting wrong. Look at spitting in Asian countries and California. On a 3 lane road, you effectively add 2 more lanes. Even if the bike does merge back into the lane, they'll eventually move back to lane splitting and the car can take its place again. Overall, you'll see a net decrease in congestion.

But of course, everyone here, like yourself, only thinks of "OMFG HE MERGED BACK INTO MY LANE AND CUT ME OFF, NOW HE'S ADDED 10 SECONDS TO MY COMMUTE, OMFG WHAT A JERKOFF, LET ME RUN HIM OVER CAUSE HE DOESN'T DESERVE TO COMMUTE FASTER, HE SHOULD INCREASE EVERYONE'S COMMUTE TIME BY GETTING IN THE ****ING LANE!"

And then you have previous cases where police start obnoxiously thinking "HOLY **** HE'S GOING BETWEEN CARS, THIS IS RACING AND STUNTING, I HAVE TO SAVE SOCIETY FROM THIS MENACE, IMPOUND HIS BIKE AND **** HIM UP FINANCIALLY BECAUSE I AM SUPERMAN AND WILL SAVE THE WORLD".

油井緋色;2332241 said:
They are splitting wrong. Look at spitting in Asian countries and California. On a 3 lane road, you effectively add 2 more lanes.

Exactly, when you filter you end up sharing the lane with the car at the front. Then as soon as the light turns green you go and being on a motorcycle you accelerate much fast then the cars. This way you are not causing any congestion or slowing anyone elses commute.

I don't like to filter, and then having to sit at the front for an extended period, giving people time to brew their STUPIDITY into something more. I want to filter, stop, and be gone in a few seconds.
Fixed

Just like the several threads about lane splitting and filtering... Someone once put it this way to compare it to a grocery store.

Regular lanes = regular cashier
Lane splitting = Express lane

The ONLY PLACE where the lane splitter will get in the way of the regular lane is at the "exit"

Now if the regular lane user doesnt meet the lane splitter critieria, he shouldn't be ****** at the lane splitter as this means the lane splitter is not in his lane taking up space, making his line longer.

i commute to work by motorcycle every day and have seen tons and tons and tons of splitters...some in a safe manner...some not.

Would i like to do it? Yes

Would i actually do it with the current legislation? Not unless my life was on the line

Is it a smart thing to do? Yes, in a setting where people are aware and riders are responsible with their splitting.

So in the meantime, i melt under my ATGATT

My feelings exactly. I've done it in Europe, but I won't here in Ontario. Less because of the legal penalty, more because of the penalty other motorists would inflict on me (intentional or otherwise).

In case anyone is interested, here is a summary plus a link to a study done in Belgium that actually measures the benefits to all traffic when lane splitting is allowed, and when that (among other things) encourages a greater modal shift from cars to motorcycles.

"Impact analysis of an increased share of motorcycles in commuting traffic

In this study, we examined the effects of an increased share of motorcycles in commuter traffic. A modal shift from private cars towards motorcycles affects the propagation of traffic flows and traffic congestion. There will also be an impact on emissions from traffic.
The impact on traffic congestion was determined in a case study for the section of motorway between Leuven and Brussels. Traffic flows in the morning commute were simulated in detail. A modal shift towards motorcycles resulted in shorter queues that disappear sooner. Travel times are significantly shorter. If 10% of all private cars are replaced by motorcycles, the total time loss for all vehicles decreases by 40%. The attraction of new traffic due to improved circumstances is taken into account in this case study.
When the case study results are extrapolated to the entire motorway network in Belgium, total time savings for all vehicles add up to 15 000 hours, which is equivalent to a benefit of € 350 000 per day."

http://www.tmleuven.com/project/motorcyclesandcommuting/20110921_Motorfietsen_eindrapport_Eng.pdf

Last edited:
To the OP...you will never find acceptance of it here...you can be one of the angry people envious that they don't have the cajones to do it (but rationalize their arguments and present their side as something else) or you can split or filter when you are confident you can do it safely.

If you're lacking such confidence, don't do it...

To the OP...you will never find acceptance of it here...you can be one of the angry people envious that they don't have the cajones to do it (but rationalize their arguments and present their side as something else) or you can split or filter when you are confident you can do it safely.

If you're lacking such confidence, don't do it...

Confidence isn't the issue. You have drivers that will run you over and hero cops that will slap a 172 on you. Even riders themselves in Ontario (probably Canada) are ignorant as to why/how lane splitting works.

The problem isn't the ignorance, it's that the ignorant want to enforce their ignorance onto others.

Thankfully this issue doesn't affect me. I stopped commuting with my bike 2 years ago.

damn ****in true,see how does it feels with full gears on with full face helmet..me i try to avoid lane spitting but, when the im struck in 400 series i aint not gonna sit there while my balls sweating ..

Would lane splitters care if the reciprocal happened where cars passed you in your lane? After all the same reasonings used to justify lane splitting would also apply. Especially to the poster who asked why bicycles can get away with it.

If you're going to lane filter/split, just do it safely. Just know that some cops will pull you over and slam you with the ban hammer while others won't. Just as some drivers will give you the thumbs up or wave you past for filtering and others will go out of their way to block you.

Time and place (and a little luck) is key.

Lane-splitting isn't legal in California, it's merely not illegal at the moment.

That's like saying breathing isn't legal, it's just not illegal at the moment. Laws typically define outlines and structures of things you shouldn't do, therefore anything that isn't spelled out is legal.

Would lane splitters care if the reciprocal happened where cars passed you in your lane? After all the same reasonings used to justify lane splitting would also apply. Especially to the poster who asked why bicycles can get away with it.

If you're moving slow enough on a motorcycle to get passed by a car in your own lane, then you deserve it.

油井緋色;2332316 said:
Confidence isn't the issue. You have drivers that will run you over and hero cops that will slap a 172 on you. Even riders themselves in Ontario (probably Canada) are ignorant as to why/how lane splitting works.

The problem isn't the ignorance, it's that the ignorant want to enforce their ignorance onto others.

Thankfully this issue doesn't affect me. I stopped commuting with my bike 2 years ago.
This. My riding skills are not in question.

油井緋色;2332360 said:
If you're moving slow enough on a motorcycle to get passed by a car in your own lane, then you deserve it.

Meh, right THERE

https://goo.gl/maps/j8zon

i had a guy use the shoulder + lane split on me to get 1 CAR AHEAD. I was in left tire track blocking position when the 4 lane ended, went back to right tire track blocking position after that lane ended, seems like he saw it like an invitation to pass me. Saddest part is it didnt even make him faster, he still had to come to a complete stop behind the car that was in front of me.

Too much overthinking going on here. Just do it safely and don't get caught.

I'm guessing this same rationale is also applied to running red lights and texting while driving. People "think" they can do all of these safely.....in my mind, there's a bit too much expression of personal freedom at play and too little adherence to laws/rules with no fear of the possible consequences. I suppose the slim chances of getting caught play into all of this.

Lane splitting in Western Europe was a dream mainly because drivers respected bikers and their rights, and moved over to make the passing safer and easier. Coming home to GTA it was really hard to not automatically keep doing what I was doing before. But then again drivers made it obvious and unsafe to pass them.

I heard it best from an ex-Brit who found it a joy to lane split because Europeans use the logic that letting the guy through to his destination quicker will get those vehicles off the road and lighten traffic, especially at rush-hours, is better (a logical attitude of co-operation to benefit everyone). Whereas coming to work in America he said the attitude of drivers is 'no way you are getting there ahead of me!' (a selfish attitude of "me first", let everyone stew in traffic).

Last edited:
Lane splitting in Western Europe was a dream mainly because drivers respected bikers and their rights, and moved over to make the passing safer and easier.

I heard it best from an ex-Brit who found it a joy to lane split because Europeans use the logic that letting the guy through to his destination quicker will get those vehicles off the road and lighten traffic, especially at rush-hours, is better (a logical attitude of co-operation to benefit everyone). Whereas coming to work in America he said the attitude of drivers is 'no way you are getting there ahead of me!' (a selfish attitude of "me first", let everyone stew in traffic).

Exactly! I lived in England before n travelled around Europe, their countries are small n people know how to share the road. I was disappointed when I moved here, people are so narrow minded n selfish.

It's like a guy driving a tank n got mad at me (in a Smart car) for squishing myself in between tanks and say "WTF are you doing driving so close to my tank?"

Also I don't understand why drivers "love" to keep loud bikes behind them as long as possible, I thought they hate those noisy pipes. If I were them, I would let these bikes pass ASAP so that I can get some quiet time n enjoy my music. Couldn't find any logical explanation for that either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Meh, right THERE

https://goo.gl/maps/j8zon

i had a guy use the shoulder + lane split on me to get 1 CAR AHEAD. I was in left tire track blocking position when the 4 lane ended, went back to right tire track blocking position after that lane ended, seems like he saw it like an invitation to pass me. Saddest part is it didnt even make him faster, he still had to come to a complete stop behind the car that was in front of me.

I've had it happen to me on the 401 during grid lock. Didn't really bug me cause I just spit and cut him off lol

I'm guessing this same rationale is also applied to running red lights and texting while driving. People "think" they can do all of these safely.....in my mind, there's a bit too much expression of personal freedom at play and too little adherence to laws/rules with no fear of the possible consequences. I suppose the slim chances of getting caught play into all of this.

Dumb analogy. I run reds if my bike can't trigger the light but I never text and drive. Texting splits your attention span. Humans cannot multi task, we can only switch from tasks quickly.

Also, Europe, Asia, California, and some other states disagree with you with regards to the safety comment. Again...this is an example of ignorance.

I'm honestly surprised by the attitude on these boards sometimes. The logic is almost:

"Because I don't want to, they shouldn't either"

This exact kind of rationale came up during a discussion about why sportbike riders should hang off their bike.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom