Question for you lane splitters | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question for you lane splitters

A few years someone clipped my friend mirror trying to lane split, crunched his front fender. Guy on the bike left in an ambulance unconscious, according to my friend only wearing a helmet, tshirt, jeans. No idea on whatever happened to the guy. Back in 2007 or 08 London, ON. Aug ish time frame. Newer CBR600 at the time wellington rd near the Futureshop ish area.

I won't lane split as a 172 would end my career ($65+k). Also knowing my luck i'd be doored.

Last edited:
Let's put all these selfish f***ers in a full riding gear with helmet on and let them drive their car without AC/fan through 401 during rush hour in these recent hot days, we'll see how that pans out. I just don't understand how some people got mad/jealous over riders doing lane split, I'm fine with it as long as they do it sensibly (e.g. not passing standing still cars at 80 kph or so).

Just like you, I grew up in a country where lane split is a common thing to do and I had been riding like that until I got here. I personally prefer not to do lane split here unless I know I'll be dead from the heat if I don't do it. At the traffic light I always try not to occupy the right lane so that I don't block right turning traffic and if I get stuck on the right lane I always leave plenty of space for cars that want to make a right turn.

My dad taught me to always think about other people first before myself. The problem is that the rest of the world don't give ****** about it so I often get screwed.

While we're at it let's put all those self-entitled, conniving, self-centred bikers in a room and show them a map of Ontario.

I've never had a reason to split or filter, and I'm not sure why so many have such major issues with route planning.
There are maps on the internet people. C'mon. Ten minutes isn't worth it to you?
Anyone else see the major irony?

As far as being on the other end, I've only ever had one splitter/filterer that didn't hold me up.
That was because he didn't have a plate, didn't give a care, and ran the red light.

I'm surprised that so many take it as a fact that having a vehicle pull in front of you or beside you doesn't limit your options for movement. I guess it's just wishful thinking for those who always want to be the puller rather than the pullee.

If you're truly thinking about other people first here, then you wouldn't be thinking about splitting, because in that case you're putting yourself first.

It all comes down to an attempt at rationalization for a behaviour that we refuse to change.

Honestly the only time I've split is outside the city. At a light behind a semi in the middle of nowhere? I'll filter in front of it because I know I won't be holding anyone up.

Points taken. Didn't want this to turn into a "attack the lane splitters" thread though. Like I said it did look mighty tempting yesterday. I was the one actually feeling like the fool for being the only one not doing it. However I did stick to my guns and survived the traffic jam.

On another note, what an odd traffic jam. Even the HOV was clogged from just past the food terminal to Jameson and the instantly flew back to normal speeds instantly afterwards. No accidents ....nothing! It was a head scratcher.

If you're truly thinking about other people first here, then you wouldn't be thinking about splitting, because in that case you're putting yourself first.

It all comes down to an attempt at rationalization for a behaviour that we refuse to change.

I never said I ever lane split here, English isn't my first language so you probably misunderstood my words. I'm not a city rider, don't commute n only weekend go out of the city normally early in the morning. Sometimes on the way back got stuck in the traffic n it's annoying especially after 800 km of trip, hot n tired.

My point is why some drivers would behave like that. Some of you guys in this forum are just like those drivers, easily judging people without trying to look from a different angle. We don't live in a perfect world, we too aren't perfect so nothing that we produce will be (including rules n regulations).

I don't care if people want to lane split since it isn't my license, it isn't my bike n it isn't my life. I'm not a saint, a judge nor a cop so not my job to judge people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On another note, what an odd traffic jam. Even the HOV was clogged from just past the food terminal to Jameson and the instantly flew back to normal speeds instantly afterwards. No accidents ....nothing! It was a head scratcher.

"Invisible forces" causing brake checks :)

i commute to work by motorcycle every day and have seen tons and tons and tons of splitters...some in a safe manner...some not.

Would i like to do it? Yes

Would i actually do it with the current legislation? Not unless my life was on the line

Is it a smart thing to do? Yes, in a setting where people are aware and riders are responsible with their splitting.

So in the meantime, i melt under my ATGATT

So we all know that lane splitting is a bad idea.
There seem to be a consensus that car drivers have a bounty system for nailing riders who do it
We have all seen or heard of a motorcyclist who did it and got creamed.
So why do it?
Someone said you save a few minutes.
Isn't the time savings more accurately measured in seconds?

There seem to be a consensus that car drivers have a bounty system for nailing riders who do it
So why do it?

If you do it consistently you will save a lot of time. Like half your commute time if traffic is bad. If you are within the GTA.

"Invisible forces" causing brake checks :)

Not sure why but a while ago I looked at the science of traffic flow. It doesn't take an accident to hold up a line of traffic. All it takes is one or two numpties swerving across lanes for an exit or something similar and the knock on effects can be felt for quite a way in packed traffic.

If people drove in a sensible way there would hardly be any snarl ups aside from genuine accidents or road repairs. But this assumes everone understands what passing lanes are and everyone gets into the proper lane for an exit well in advance.

I read this article last week,
http://www.thestar.com/autos/2015/07/17/a-motorcycle-rider-comes-home--to-a-big-shock.html
interesting read
California has the highestnumber of motorcycles registered anywhere in North America with 787,521 in2012. According to Statistics Canada, Canada has a total of 672,428 bikesregistered. There are 211,294 bikes registered in Ontario or 31.4 per cent of allCanadian motorcycles.
In Ontario, we havea population of about 13 million. L.A. County, where about 10 million peoplelive, would be a fair comparison in terms of population.
There were 2,657motorcycles involved in accidents in Ontario in 2012, according to thetransportation ministry. L.A. County had more motorcycle accidents thanOntario, with 3,112 in 2012. So there were more insurance claims in L.A. Countythan in Ontario.

I actually lived in California for 5 years. My only vehicle was a motorcycle for a year of that time to drive. I think I can speak to this. First of all when comparing accidents you have to consider in LA county they can ride year round so comparing accident stats is not sensible not the mention the volume of their traffic is significantly higher. Imagine all of Southern Ontario being like the GTA and you would get the idea, so direct comparisons are impossible.

As far as lane filtering is concerned. I never had an issue not only did drivers not care but the vast majority of them moved over and made room when a bike was behind them. I live there from 2004-2008. So its possible things have changed but I seriously doubt it to the extent has been mentioned in this thread. I avoided doing it for a few months when I first moved there until I was stuck in long weekend traffic between LA and San Diego. I saw a CHP officer on his bike doing and I tucked in behind him. I followed him for 45 mins that way and he waved to me when he exited the freeway. I did it from that point on and never had an issue. Most people I talked to said they were glad to let motorcycles filter because it meant one less car taking up space on the freeway. If anyone thinks a filtering motorcycle holds up traffic they have not seen filtering done properly.

I was in Cali at the end of June for my Sisters wedding...rented a bike in San Francisco. Got on the freeway and finally got to lane split legally!! What a blast...cagers there actually move over in their lane to give you more room. It's a given out there...so many riders split that it's second nature to cagers to watch out for us. What a difference compared to here..

No, we don't "ALL" think lane splitting is a good idea, it is in fact a good idea made illegal.
and No, it isn't measured in seconds.

Not very accurate "stats man"

So why do it?

A few comments about this, mainly in relation to BC and Vancouver area. Lane splitting and filtering is legal and allowed here.
Yes i said it, but only when you want to get on a BC Ferry. You ride to front of the usually long line of cars, filtering when needed
to get to the front of the line. Is one reason why i think if the government said filtering ok, most drivers would be ok with it.
plus bikes already get other special treatment here, like being able to use HOV lanes and half price parking plus many special bike
only parking spots. (have green top meters and signs saying bikes only)

another thing. people on pedal bikes. They have to follow the exact same rules as any other vehicle. But they always filter to the front
and nothing happens to them.

that said. i mostly sit in the line with everyone else. The only time i have split, more exactly shoulder surfed. Was on hwy in summer, an accident turned
hwy into parking lot. After watching several bikes ride by on shoulder, the last one a full patch Hells Angel i said fuk it and followed him.

A few comments about this, mainly in relation to BC and Vancouver area. Lane splitting and filtering is legal and allowed here.
Yes i said it, but only when you want to get on a BC Ferry. You ride to front of the usually long line of cars, filtering when needed
to get to the front of the line. Is one reason why i think if the government said filtering ok, most drivers would be ok with it.
plus bikes already get other special treatment here, like being able to use HOV lanes and half price parking plus many special bike

another thing. people on pedal bikes. They have to follow the exact same rules as any other vehicle. But they always filter to the front

that said. i mostly sit in the line with everyone else. The only time i have split, more exactly shoulder surfed. Was on hwy in summer, an accident turned
hwy into parking lot. After watching several bikes ride by on shoulder, the last one a full patch Hells Angel i said fuk it and followed him.

Nah...same thing happens in Ontario for ferry lines, most I've been on you get called to the front as they can jam you in to the smaller spaces and gaps between cars. Bit of a difference in situation though when you have nowhere to go except the belly of a boat and people guiding you on to it...to the selfish SOB mentality of a driver stuck at lights waiting to get his formula-one-got-to-get-home-before-anyone-else jive on.

Lane filtering, (as you said at a ferry terminal) is completely different than lane splitting. But BC isn't unique to the ferry situation. If one goes to the Tobermory Ferry here in Ontario your instructed by staff to ride past all the cars. They then load the bikes first, so your first off at the other end. They aren't stupid, the roads leading to and away are two lane, and if a bike is stuck behind 75 cars from a ferry not long before someone on a bike is going to think they are Rossi and try to pass them all in one move on a blind corner..lmao

I read this article last week,
http://www.thestar.com/autos/2015/07/17/a-motorcycle-rider-comes-home--to-a-big-shock.html
interesting read
California has the highestnumber of motorcycles registered anywhere in North America with 787,521 in2012. According to Statistics Canada, Canada has a total of 672,428 bikesregistered. There are 211,294 bikes registered in Ontario or 31.4 per cent of allCanadian motorcycles.
In Ontario, we havea population of about 13 million. L.A. County, where about 10 million peoplelive, would be a fair comparison in terms of population.
There were 2,657motorcycles involved in accidents in Ontario in 2012, according to thetransportation ministry. L.A. County had more motorcycle accidents thanOntario, with 3,112 in 2012. So there were more insurance claims in L.A. Countythan in Ontario.

It isn't a fair comparison - you have no statistics on how many motorcycles there are in L.A. county specifically...simply dividing the population isn't reliable.

Having lived in both places I can tell you LA is more motorcycle friendly but there are just way more bikes there...you see them everyday in all seasons (unlike Ontario where riding only happens during part of the year)...so it's natural you would see more fatalities.

Personally, I've changed to filtering only to the next immediate exit during a major jam in the GTA.
I also will filter to the front of a line on a two-lane road if I can time stopping at the front before the light turns yellow.

I don't like to filter, and then having to sit at the front for an extended period, giving people time to brew their anger into something more. I want to filter, stop, and be gone in a few seconds.

Back
Top Bottom