Rider down on Southwood #13 yesterday... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rider down on Southwood #13 yesterday...

DownDeep99ca

Passed a couple of guys riding on Southwood 13 yesterday, decided to do one more run before heading home. On my way back noticed a bunch of riders helping up one of the rider I passed. It was a Honda CBR with repsol bodywork. Hope the rider was ok, didn't look too serious. Sand on the corner by the looks of it.

I never knew why everybody in this forum blasted me for not wearing protective gear and all this leather crap when riding until I went in a group ride with these supersporters... of course they wear all this crap because they ride like maniacs and go hard on blind curves full of sand at that location and everywhere else. I don't plan on falling and I don't play with my life, that's why I ride with my t-shirts and shorts.

Not sure if sarcasm. Nobody plans on falling until they do.

I highsided going 40km/h around a familiar corner a while back. It rained, some of the mud moved due to the rain onto the road and I rolled through it. Didn't speed, road looked fine (the sun was setting). Didn't expect it until the rear lost traction and I went flying over the bike.

Now I ride in tshirts sometimes too so it's not like I'm huge on ATGATT but eventually you might go down unexpectedly, be aware of that. Personally I'm glad I was wearing gloves and pants when I wiped out.

I never knew why everybody in this forum blasted me for not wearing protective gear and all this leather crap when riding until I went in a group ride with these supersporters... of course they wear all this crap because they ride like maniacs and go hard on blind curves full of sand at that location and everywhere else. I don't plan on falling and I don't play with my life, that's why I ride with my t-shirts and shorts.

holy cow, I thought you'd given up commenting here. I havent seen a post from you in ages ;-)

well, all I can say, no one *plans* on falling - you can't be sure when or where you could fall off your motorcycle, going fast or not or if someone or something runs into you.

Hope the rider's ok. That road is always sandy or covered in some kind of debris.

There's one corner that has a huge root/frost heave on the inside lane (northbound in the first forest section iirc) that you don't see until it's too late. if you hit it fast enough it could easily put you in the other lane if not worse. Fun road, but you need to be paying attention!

I was the guy who dumped my ride. Blind corner covered in beach sand was symptom of my fall. Wasn't riding aggressive, so even at moderate speeds, anything can happen.

Big shout out to some local riders who helped me out. Bikers tend to take care of each other. Note: I always make it a regular practice to wear full gear when out on the road. It may get hot, but the results could be much worse without.

I was the guy who dumped my ride. Blind corner covered in beach sand was symptom of my fall. Wasn't riding aggressive, so even at moderate speeds, anything can happen.

Big shout out to some local riders who helped me out. Bikers tend to take care of each other. Note: I always make it a regular practice to wear full gear when out on the road. It may get hot, but the results could be much worse without.
If your username is what bike you ride my condolences that must have sucked.

For pegesuss some advice "https://www.youtube.com/embed/f3yAixF2mm4"

Last edited:
Indeed it is, but fortunately only mirror replacement, and light surface scratches on one side. Not even noticeable.

However, I sustained broken ribs and a bruised up old body. Bike is all fixed up today, and back on the saddle.

Indeed it is, but fortunately only mirror replacement, and light surface scratches on one side. Not even noticeable.

However, I sustained broken ribs and a bruised up old body. Bike is all fixed up today, and back on the saddle.

Glad to hear bike is not too bad but hell broken ribs and back in the saddle already wow. Be safe

I'm either really brave or just that stupid. All good, pain is tolerable and why procrastinate. Keeping mobile is the key.. thanks for the well wishes..

I'm either really brave or just that stupid. All good, pain is tolerable and why procrastinate. Keeping mobile is the key.. thanks for the well wishes..

Glad you're ok.

Small world. I was just about to post that I met the rider this morning at Corsa and that he was relatively in good shape, and bike w suffered very minimal damage. Good to meet you today. Hope George took care of you lol

The guy probably thinks its that flying ****ing horse he's riding around on half the time...no point arguing reality.

In regards to Southwood, I don't even know why people still ride like idiots on that road. Anyone who manages to find that road is a local or has heard about it or been there before so its not like you don't know what you're getting into...This picture was taken nearly a year after I went down in the same spot, it was still sandy as ****.

10557174_10152540437634403_2974535338798213627_n.jpg

wow.. I really apprecaite how lucky I had it with my accident with the deer now considering how I walked away with just pulled ankle ligaments..
Do you know how you hurt your ribs? hit the bars? or during the slide?

Get well soon

Some people's riding style exponentially increases the chances that they will go down and go down hard.

There are many riders out there who have never gone down or whose only downs are in the driveway. A huge part of your chances of going down can be controlled through riding style and riding awareness of road and traffic. That's not to say that you can't get blindsided by the unexpected, but you can most certainly reduce the chances of such.

Where you with another rider on a Honda with
Repsol body work?

Some people's riding style exponentially increases the chances that they will go down and go down hard.

There are many riders out there who have never gone down or whose only downs are in the driveway. A huge part of your chances of going down can be controlled through riding style and riding awareness of road and traffic. That's not to say that you can't get blindsided by the unexpected, but you can most certainly reduce the chances of such.

-I sorta don't want to stir the pot but judging by your join date there is a broader context here that you are not aware of

-Also 0/10 for the lame turn-around

Back
Top Bottom