AWD Hydrostatic Diesel Motorcycle | GTAMotorcycle.com

AWD Hydrostatic Diesel Motorcycle

Neat.

Can someone explain why a hydrostatic drive and why it isn't used in production vehicles?

Last edited:
That bike is ... uh ... awfully low to the ground! lol.

Looked like the sides were scraping.

Something tells me if we had to put bikes through emission tests this one might fall a tad short, lol. Points for looking like a nuke though.

Hydraulic drive might be a better description. The wheels are driven by fluid pumped through a drive hub, rather than a direct power unit/gear connection. It's expensive to build and maintain. Another drawback is that it's better suited to low speed, pure torque situations. But for applications that it's designed for, it performs beautifully with infinite control over speed and power.

Neat.

Can someone explain why a hydrostatic drive and why it isn't used in production vehicles?

Ohlins actually had a prototype system that they developed for dirtbikes. I think the parasitic loss was significant, though.

I think you do see this kind of drive on some vehicles that already have a hydraulic system for powering stuff (e.g. forklifts, scissor lifts)

[video=youtube;hFHhP5r2gps]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFHhP5r2gps[/video]

Ohlins actually had a prototype system that they developed for dirtbikes. I think the parasitic loss was significant, though.

I think you do see this kind of drive on some vehicles that already have a hydraulic system for powering stuff (e.g. forklifts, scissor lifts)
Didn't they make a 2wd R1 with the same system? Could swear I read about it and saw a couple of vids on YouTube. Front wheel was driven by a hydraulic pump that was powered off the rear sprocket so the front only got power when the rear spun faster than the front. Prototype/concept only, of course. Some riders that got to try it said it was very different to ride at high speeds than your usual bike.

Attempt #2. The neighbours must love this guy lol
[video=youtube;2leA_tEEdk8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2leA_tEEdk8[/video]
I think I got cancer just from watching that.

I think I got cancer just from watching that.
I was thinking 5 mins of riding that thing & the mosquitoes would be off your arse for 3 dys

Back
Top Bottom