Where to certify a older bike in GTA | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to certify a older bike in GTA

Hey,
I just went to snow city to try and get my 1987 Kawasaki 600r certified but they said they only certifly bikes up to 1995. Do you guys know any places to certifly a older bike in the GTA?
Thanks,

Rosey Toes (It's a bit far, but I like him), 109 Cycle
Canadian Tire (McCowan/Sheppard): Schedule an appointment for the motorcycle guy. He's not there all the time.

Hey,
I just went to snow city to try and get my 1987 Kawasaki 600r certified but they said they only certifly bikes up to 1995. Do you guys know any places to certifly a older bike in the GTA?
Thanks,

Snow City denies certification due to year limit? Do they not have anyone competent working there? That just decided for me the fact I will never go there and tell my friends the same.

If you are near King Road in Burlington go to Reiwalds Garage. $40 safety.

Their 1995 rule sounds made up. I like Snow City so that's disappointing to hear, coming from them.

The "good" news is that Rosey Toes will certify your bike while blindfolded.

Their 1995 rule sounds made up. I like Snow City so that's disappointing to hear, coming from them.

The "good" news is that Rosey Toes will certify your bike while blindfolded.

Actually some shops do refuse to work on older bikes at all.

Snow City denies certification due to year limit? Do they not have anyone competent working there? That just decided for me the fact I will never go there and tell my friends the same.

It likely has to do with the scarcity of parts available for older machines.
If it needs something and gets tied up sitting in the shop wasting space and waiting for parts nobody wins.
Its not a matter of competency, vehicle fitness certification has little or nothing to do with year.

It likely has to do with the scarcity of parts available for older machines.
If it needs something and gets tied up sitting in the shop wasting space and waiting for parts nobody wins.
Its not a matter of competency, vehicle fitness certification has little or nothing to do with year.

All irrelevent. Excuses are awesome, they could just have you do a drop off, they don't have to store it pass or fail. Don't work on certain bikes, lose any chance of me going there or recommending them. To me, it sounds like they don't want the hassle of knowing they have to look deeper and more carefully at an older bike, all other things being equal. They're lazy.

I, too, am disappointed with Snow City, and I'm a customer. It is not that easy to find 20 year old Kawi parts, I am sure, but to not even look at an '87?. Pass or fail, tell the bike owner what needs to be done, and allow the bike owner another try. Is it because there is less chance of making money on repairs for certs? There is no requirement for the certifying shop to do any required repairs, is there? This just sounds like an excuse.

I routinely order and pick up parts for my 30yo FJ from Snow City. As someone else said, denying service is just lazy.

I routinely order and pick up parts for my 30yo FJ from Snow City. As someone else said, denying service is just lazy.

How is it lazy ? If they are turning work away, they are turning away potential income - there must be another reason, like maybe they've been burned too many times in the past ?
Just like you have the democratic right to take your machine for service anywhere you like, they have the same right to turn stuff away.
I'm not defending them completely, just saying there's got to be more to the story....

you asked how can it be lazy. It is easy, the requirements for a bike of that vintage for the safety certificate is different than those for a bike made today, (IE the headlight need not be illuminated with the turn of the key etc, I am pretty sure there are others) so maybe the tech didn't want to be bothered checking what the regs would be for that bike. Not saying that IS the reason just replying to your question.

the OP didn't post if they gave him a reason for their decision. If they did he should post it up if they didn't then it falls back to them, (IMHO).

How is it lazy ? If they are turning work away, they are turning away potential income - there must be another reason, like maybe they've been burned too many times in the past ?
Just like you have the democratic right to take your machine for service anywhere you like, they have the same right to turn stuff away.
I'm not defending them completely, just saying there's got to be more to the story....

you asked how can it be lazy. It is easy, the requirements for a bike of that vintage for the safety certificate is different than those for a bike made today, (IE the headlight need not be illuminated with the turn of the key etc, I am pretty sure there are others) so maybe the tech didn't want to be bothered checking what the regs would be for that bike. Not saying that IS the reason just replying to your question.
the OP didn't post if they gave him a reason for their decision. If they did he should post it up if they didn't then it falls back to them, (IMHO).

-Not true, anything manufactured after 1975 must have automatic headlights on, working turn signals, etc.

- Yes, let's hear what the true reasons given were before jumping to conclusions...

Can you post the link referencing the bike must have working turn signals?? Iirc a bike need not actually have operating signals hence the acceptability of hand signals. But I haven't looked in some time.

-Not true, anything manufactured after 1975 must have automatic headlights on, working turn signals, etc.

- Yes, let's hear what the true reasons given were before jumping to conclusions...

Time is money, you pay for the inspection regardless of whether the bike passes of fails. Older bikes are a liability. Say for instance a older bike comes in and requires rear pads and rotor for the tech to cert the bike, which is very common for all bikes new or old. Person agrees and parts are ordered. When the wheel comes off the axle is cracked, great now that has to be replaced. But that part is NLA! Now, the rotor bolts are seized on the rim. That is more time to drill out the bolts. Now this $400 dollar job has turned into a $1000 repair over night. The repair costs have exceeded what the bike is worth. This is why companies refuse older bikes, not because of laziness. Many people have no idea what's evolved in a cert. The technicians name and license is at stake if something is missed. And older bikes ALMOST always have hidden issues.

I own a 1997 GSXR750, paid 2400. Needed 1500 bucks worth of work to pass cert. Most people are not prepared to spend that money on an older bike.

Bingo. ^ Hands off know it alls think everything should be fast and cheap like the internet. It's always a race to the bottom with this crowd. They don't understand.

Time is money, you pay for the inspection regardless of whether the bike passes of fails. Older bikes are a liability. Say for instance a older bike comes in and requires rear pads and rotor for the tech to cert the bike, which is very common for all bikes new or old. Person agrees and parts are ordered. When the wheel comes off the axle is cracked, great now that has to be replaced. But that part is NLA! Now, the rotor bolts are seized on the rim. That is more time to drill out the bolts. Now this $400 dollar job has turned into a $1000 repair over night. The repair costs have exceeded what the bike is worth. This is why companies refuse older bikes, not because of laziness. Many people have no idea what's evolved in a cert. The technicians name and license is at stake if something is missed. And older bikes ALMOST always have hidden issues.

I own a 1997 GSXR750, paid 2400. Needed 1500 bucks worth of work to pass cert. Most people are not prepared to spend that money on an older bike.
who cares do the inspection,pass or fail.snow city may of made a few bucks from this customer as they do a year round business,They just keep showing there true customer care with there actions,The sad thing is we only see a small number of unhappy customers,there maybe 100,s of people they didnt,couldnt, help.

who cares do the inspection,pass or fail.snow city may of made a few bucks from this customer as they do a year round business,They just keep showing there true customer care with there actions,The sad thing is we only see a small number of unhappy customers,there maybe 100,s of people they didnt,couldnt, help.

Maybe the reason was explained to the customer. Maybe it made sense to the customer. He doesn't say. But it does make sense. There's a big difference between money no object timeless classic motorcycle and an old junker scraping to get by first bike. Would you fix a $20 toaster?

Back
Top Bottom