3 Day Trip to/from Pennsylvania (Starting in Kitchener) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

3 Day Trip to/from Pennsylvania (Starting in Kitchener)

A really good section we discovered 664 going north from lockhaven hooking back up with 44 it has brand new pavement and nice medium corners not tight but not sweepers either. My go to down there still has to be wykoff run the best twistys down that way for sure.

Macdoc I find 872 kinda like muskoka nice if you like doing 140 in the corners.... sweepers yuck... I like the tight technical stuff slower speeds but twice the fun ;)

Then you will like 3001 near Emporium PA

....Macdoc I find 872 kinda like muskoka nice if you like doing 140 in the corners.... sweepers yuck... I like the tight technical stuff slower speeds but twice the fun ;)

Last edited:
I like high speed sweepers, so 872 is perfect for that.
872 IS pure scenery but very lovely along the trout stream....

Wykoff

[video=youtube;2zGZreksOSI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGZreksOSI[/video]

10 miles of big time fun
Wasn't over impressed with Wykoff. Different strokes for different folks..

Yea I also by-passed it when I went down
Wasn't over impressed with Wykoff. Different strokes for different folks..

Just got back from PA last week. A couple mentions:

- hyner road from 44 to the lookout climb is closed. We took it anyways as it was on a Sunday but it definetly would not work on a weekday as there will be construction vehicles all over. The hyner lookout climb is still open though and well worth the visit.

- 44 south from 6 is closed during the week. I took it on a Sunday and it was rough as hell for a good few miles. Avoid this portion if you can.

Safe travels and have fun.

So Jealous ... I wanted to do this trip this weekend but have know one to join me :( Have fun and ride safe....

Same here :( I don't know enough girls that ride willing to do long trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just came back from that area and Wackoff road was nothing special, in fact only West virginia is worth mentioning. Compared to the carolinas I was very disappointed. Compared to Ontario, outstanding.

BB

Enjoyed West Virginia and intend to do more but found it very similar to PA in the Renovo area with a mix of roads but more traffic.

Back of the Dragon in Virginia was fun but gravel in the corners took some pleasure away.

Can't comment on the Carolina's still on the bucket list for next summer. Kid wants to do the Dragon and I want to hit Smoky Mountain National park before our parks pass runs out in June.
Will get us on the Skyline drive as well without cost and maybe a few other national monuments in the area.

Wykoff is short and fun which agrees with hundreds of reviews - Perhaps too tight for those that want fast sweepers.
Nice route to get to the other end of 144 west of Renovo.
Cherry Creek from 6 is another short gem in the area now it's paved well.

Glad they are fixing 144 out of Coudersport...that was long overdue.
Should have gone down this weekend.....just don't trust my tooth not to flare up :(
Had 4 days of great weather and only got one good ride in over by Kaladar.

Thanks for all the tips guys... Stitched together a route (thanks to Spray) and we take off tomorrow morning. I'll post some good feedback and pics back to this thread when we return. We are approaching the trip with lots of flexibility for weather and fatigue and are still planning to wing it on lodging and eats. $268 for $200US cash was a bummer but hey, it's a vacation after all!

Day 1

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Kit...0x89cddc193cb1bd95:0x46eeeaf47b1d67df!1m0!3e0

Day 2

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Que...91cb!2m2!1d-78.0205602!2d41.7747878!3e0?hl=en

Day 3

Get home.

You said you are leaving Friday afternoon, with traffic and stops to eat and gas what time are you planning to be done that route for day one, plus night riding there ain't to much fun and there is risk for deer

Thanks for all the tips guys. The trip was a success and although it was rainy on Friday and hotter than h*ll on Saturday and Sunday, we managed to log a sweaty 1620 km (640+480+500) between the three days. Night 1 we set up in the Super 8 in Clearfield, PA for $65 and then Night 2 we were at the Garden Cottages Motel in Wellsboro, PA for another $65. Halfway through Day 1 Friday we were already hitting plenty of twisty sections. Day 2 Saturday all day was just amazing. Day 3 does not get mentioned...

Highlights of the trip included:
- Watching a hang glider take flight at the top of Hyner View
- Wykoff Run Road (although it had a fine dusty, gravel collection pretty much the whole way down the center tire track), didn't keep us from doing it once on day 1 and twice the day after.
- Hwy 144 North and South of Renovo were damn perfect. Barely any traffic and turn after turn after turn of clean, smooth, well painted pavement.
- Grand Canyon in Wellsboro, PA (the road there was a tar and chip mess but the view was Hyner style, very nice view)
- Had a wasp sneak into my coat and get me in the armpit and had a close call with a Turkey Vulture taking flight from the shoulder and a small bird that played chicken with me on I-90.
- Beer selection was superb, but, can't get booze at convenience stores.
- If you get the chance, give Cloney's or Not Your Father's Root Beer Ale a try... perfect and refreshing after a long day, and, 5.8-5.9% to boot.
- GPS mounted to my bike made it very easy to adapt the route as needed. It is a distraction at times, but, trying to train myself to look at it even less than the speedo.
- Finding out that you can own a home in Pittsburgh suburbs for $80k with pool and a yard... also, finding out that liability only insurance can be had for $109 a year (less than $10 a month) on a Shadow. Insane. F*ck ya 'merica.

Good tips for next trip:
- I didn't have the foresight to leave the leather pants and coat at home in exchange for my textile coat and riding jeans... I had the jeans on all day Sunday, the leather pants were packed away.
- Some Gore-tex boots would change the game for me in the wet conditions. Although I have a pair of Gore-tex socks, it was too warm to get good flow around my current sport boots.
- Some lighter (non-insulated) waterproof gloves would be superb.

Awesome, glad we could help.

Hope you slowed down north of Renovo on the 144 (south bound) when you saw the big arrow for the right turn, it is called dead man's corner as a very nice state trooper let us know.

Nice gixxer - you hit the goodies for sure. Gotta try that Not your Dad's tho I generally don't drink and ride ( even the night before ....hang over from piloting days ).

I almost headed south but the damn heat was just too annoying and not enought new down there but mind you have not done it on the Vstrom.

PA is just fabulous in the fall as long as you layer....can go from 4 to 30 in a day.

Some lighter (non-insulated) waterproof gloves would be superb.

I have a spare set of TourMaster size 11 that were too tight for my big mitts so had to move to a 12.
Did not realise until recently they were waterproof.

••••

Hope you slowed down north of Renovo on the 144 (south bound) when you saw the big arrow for the right turn, it is called dead man's corner as a very nice state trooper let us know.

Yeah downhil with the shocks compressed can get you into trouble right quick especially south bound.

Last edited:
Yeah downhil with the shocks compressed can get you into trouble right quick especially south bound.
Decreasing radius turn, had a ducati that was following me blow it and the guy end up wrapped around the guardrail (then airlifted) and the bike totally gone. Not a fun turn if it caughts you by surprise.

In PA if you see a big *** arrow before a turn, slow the hell down people

I saw plenty of those large arrows as you said... I was trying to find it on google maps to refresh my memory but couldn't find the turn. Can anyone help point it out for me?

When I go back down there, I will certainly look at it differently. Riding at my leisurely go-to-work-on-Monday pace usually leaves me a lot of margin and I'll admit, I'm a long way from purposely rubbing my knee on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom