Aftermarket exhaust denied coverage | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aftermarket exhaust denied coverage

I'm sure you can get a used OEM exhaust for next to nothing.

I thought that most were worth a lot more than the cheap slip-ons that they're replaced with, aren't they?

Also, someone above thinks that it's a semi permanent mod with the SV.

I know that 35 year old stock pipes in decent shape seem very pricey.

Here's an idea: put the stock exhaust back on.
I would if I had it. You have to cut the OEM exhaust off to add the slip-on so it's a bit more work to replace it. So far the best price I've found for an OEM unit is $200, shipping and taxes included. I'm going to call Personal this afternoon to talk with a manager or senior representative to change the decision. If not, I'll look around for coverage close to the $900 total.

I'm sure you can get a used OEM exhaust for next to nothing.

I challenge you to find one by the end of the afternoon. When I had mine I believe the cost of the full exhaust system was around $1200 from dealer...

Some people might be up for trading them online, but good luck finding anyone now... the bike is no longer current and everyone has modded them long ago.

I challenge you to find one by the end of the afternoon. When I had mine I believe the cost of the full exhaust system was around $1200 from dealer...

Some people might be up for trading them online, but good luck finding anyone now... the bike is no longer current and everyone has modded them long ago.
Challenge accepted:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...em/1064794088?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$150 and I'm sure if you made a reasonable offer, it won't be refused.

Heads up, TD will not insure a bike that has had any suspension modifications whatsoever. On my old FZ6, I put on R6 forks for better damping. Insta-denied coverage

When I inquired to several insurers here's what I was told:
Exhausts are a grey area. They might be covered. They probably won't. If they really want they can call it a "power mod" and completely refuse to cover anything.
If you get a tuner like a Power Commander to fix your ****** factory map, even without an exhaust, it's a power mod and a huge no no.
Lowered suspension is a huge no no. Modified is ok as long as it maintains stock height.
Turbo is obviously a no no.
Cosmetic changes are ok as long as they don't "drastically" change the shape or geometry of the bike.

Wawanesa was fine with all of these things as long as you told them and they would charge you more. I never found out how much because in the 3 months I was insured with them they managed to screw me over so I left.

Primmum was okay with my mods too exhaust, windscreen, rear wheel hugger. They just said that they would cover my bike as a stock bike in case of theft.

So, hypothetical question:

If I were to mod my completely stock bike, which I have insurance for, and I have to claim it for an accident, will they consider all the aftermarket parts and mods insurance fraud and what not?

Talking about Power commander, fork rebuild, suspension swap, full exhaust and sorts.

Of course, all hypothetical.

Talking about Power commander, fork rebuild, suspension swap, full exhaust and sorts.

I don't think any of these qualify as a "mod" for insurance purposes. My old State Farm agent said that they were looking for stuff like stretched swingarms, increased engine capacity and the like.

TD has a paragraph on their website:

http://www.tdinsurance.com/products...vehicle-insurance/motorcycle/restrictions.jsp

[h=3]Customization or modifications[/h]If you have altered your motorcycle to enhance its performance or appearance, be aware that we might not approve some modifications. Here are some examples:
  • modifications to the frame or suspension
  • any modification that might increase the power by over 25 cc’s from the manufacturer’s original specifications

TD has a paragraph on their website:

http://www.tdinsurance.com/products...vehicle-insurance/motorcycle/restrictions.jsp

Customization or modifications

If you have altered your motorcycle to enhance its performance or appearance, be aware that we might not approve some modifications. Here are some examples:
  • modifications to the frame or suspension
  • any modification that might increase the power by over 25 cc’s from the manufacturer’s original specifications

But as it says, "here are some examples" meaning there are things that they haven't listed, and the mods I referred to certainly fit the "altered your motorcycle to enhance its performance or appearance"

I don't think any of these qualify as a "mod" for insurance purposes. My old State Farm agent said that they were looking for stuff like stretched swingarms, increased engine capacity and the like.
State Farm specifically told me exhausts are iffy and Power Commander is considered a power mod and absolutely not allowed. Even if you were only using it to fix a crappy stock map.

Luckily I didn't have to bore out my motor to install the Power Commander or Exhaust system :)

Insurance did pay to replace the exhaust when a dude hit me though... happened twice now.

TD also doesn't allow any performance mods...including slipons and power comanders.
Thats nuts. On my M-G, the PC-V and Autotune improve the fueling so the bike actually runs with NA gas. The stock fueling is so lean to meet EPA requirements in the US, it makes the bike unridable. The PC-V is not there to gain HP at all. Shame such blanket policies are applied without discretion.

Thats nuts. On my M-G, the PC-V and Autotune improve the fueling so the bike actually runs with NA gas. The stock fueling is so lean to meet EPA requirements in the US, it makes the bike unridable. The PC-V is not there to gain HP at all. Shame such blanket policies are applied without discretion.
Agreed. I was looking at one to smooth out my 650R and fix an idle issue.

I was with State Farm and when I was in a not at fault collision they covered my aftermarket exhaust. I had installed the aftermarket exhaust after insuring the bike. To their knowledge I had a stock bike. It seems like it really depends on the agent and how willing they are to help you.

The only mods The Personal allows are ones that REDUCE power. For example, I was able to get them to approve to insure a Suzuki Sidekick with a VW turbo diesel engine in it only because it was a reduction in HP (although torque was way up).

None of them will cover something with a Power Commander. Most will ignore a slip on. The Personal is a little more picky about mods but they're also picky about who they insure (pretty sure you have to be a member of a specific group for them to cover you) and usually have very low rates.

Wawanesa will insure anything, for a price, but they will also try to screw you over if you have to make a claim, give you terrible service, and possibly even insult you (I was called "annoying" for asking about what mods were allowed).

Seriously? I've had a power commander on a bike (not anymore, I didn't like the longer start time) and would never have bothered to tell insurance. Aftermarket intake and exhaust too. On a cruiser especially, it's all just cosmetic.

To those being ridiculously honest: Would you tell them if you rejetted too?? You rejet to fix conditions in fuel delivery that aren't optimal, for a million reasons; elevation probably being the most 'legitimate'.

Seriously, is my radio a mod? Clubman bars? Lightening parts? I'm rebuilding a couple CB750's, and I'll build them however I want based on what stock parts I can get ahold of, and when asked, it's as stock as it can be. As stated before, parts wear out, they get replaced with aftermarket parts.

Back
Top Bottom