Aftermarket exhaust denied coverage | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aftermarket exhaust denied coverage

kingprawn42

So, I was denied coverage on a SV650sa today by the Personal insurance company because of an aftermarket slip-on exhaust. I'm a 37 year old male, married with a clean driving record for the past 10 years and just received my M2 after taking a motorcycle course. I'm in Whitby and was originally quoted for $700, easily the cheapest quote I received.

When I called back with the VIN and to buy the insurance the agent asked if the bike had any modifications and used the exhaust as an example. I was honest and said yes, it has a Two Brothers exhaust. At that point I was put on hold, and I'm thinking "Great, how much is this going to cost me?". When he came back he said the senior agent would not insure a bike with power modifications. At all. So, an extra 2 hp stopped me from getting cheap insurance.

I just thought I would put this out there for everyone's education if your thinking of using the Personal for insurance. I've checked with TD and State Farm about aftermarket exhaust on this bike, both have said it's not an issue.

Heads up, TD will not insure a bike that has had any suspension modifications whatsoever. On my old FZ6, I put on R6 forks for better damping. Insta-denied coverage

It really depends on the underwriter you get. That's why it's not consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I was denied coverage on a SV650sa today by the Personal insurance company because of an aftermarket slip-on exhaust. I'm a 37 year old male, married with a clean driving record for the past 10 years and just received my M2 after taking a motorcycle course. I'm in Whitby and was originally quoted for $700, easily the cheapest quote I received.

When I called back with the VIN and to buy the insurance the agent asked if the bike had any modifications and used the exhaust as an example. I was honest and said yes, it has a Two Brothers exhaust. At that point I was put on hold, and I'm thinking "Great, how much is this going to cost me?". When he came back he said the senior agent would not insure a bike with power modifications. At all. So, an extra 2 hp stopped me from getting cheap insurance.

I just thought I would put this out there for everyone's education if your thinking of using the Personal for insurance. I've checked with TD and State Farm about aftermarket exhaust on this bike, both have said it's not an issue.

Yeah, you might go crazy with that extra 2hp and kill yourself. That's redic that they denied you. They don't want to take on any extra risk.

Lucky my bike is completely stock. Lol. I have the original tank and motor and pipes. Enough that it still loosely resembles an RZ.

You people are too honest. Unless your bike has a turbo, just say it's stock. No one is going to check out your bike in person.
Curious if they'd deny a claim over something like that? Or maybe a fine or something?

I feel like those would be harsh but you never know when it comes to these guys

You people are too honest. ...just say it's stock. No one is going to check out your bike in person.

This may be construed as misrepresentation. In a claim you could be denied coverage as well as charged for insurance fraud. Insurance after this would be expensive (more expensive). If you make a claim for your exhaust and you told them the bike was completely stock, they have grounds to not reimburse you. If you really want the mod, at least do it after you get insurance, or at least have the stock parts on hand.

I don't agree with it, and I really don't see their viewpoint. Why would a slipon increase their risk? Would they do this for a modded ricer?

Last edited:
They ask the same question for cages. It's all about being easy/cheaper for the ins. co. Stock, there's no question....not stock would mean having opinions, inspections, or whatever....and that cost $.

These people at insurance companies have no clue about motorcycles for the most part. A slip on muffler is hardly a power modification.

It's a muffler, no more. Not every part of your bike has to be OEM. As parts wear out you replace them with aftermarket (i.e. non-OEM) items because they're cheaper. You shouldn't have even mentioned your two bros exhaust (muffler).

Personal case: Primmum was about to deny me coverage on a GSX-R750 because the agent asked me if it was lowered. I said yes, but only because the previous owner had slid the forks up in the triple tree an inch. I then had to argue with them for the next half hour because they thought the bike had been slammed to the ground, instead of understanding that it was only adjusted as it was intended to be able to do.

At the time you are insuring the bike it was bone stock...hint hint...if it ever comes up later one during a claim.
Heck many times when the dealer gets the bike insurance money to fix the bike up they may ask you if yah want aftermarket exhaust and get a few more toys out of the money you saved by not going stock lol.

TD also doesn't allow any performance mods...including slipons and power comanders.

Lying could become an issue if you have an accident and they find out. Could deny your claim.

Back
Top Bottom