What happens if you get a ticket in the USA? outside of NY or Michigan | GTAMotorcycle.com

What happens if you get a ticket in the USA? outside of NY or Michigan

Bikerider

I know that New York and Michigan have a reciprocal agreement with Onterrible but what happens when you get pulled over in other states further south?

Can our insurance companies find out and increase the rate? Do you actually have to pay the ticket? I have a relative who got clocked doing over 100 miles an hour in PA back in the late 1990s and never paid and has been back to the USA since with no issues. But times have changed and everything is connected.

I tend to have a bit more fun in the south then I do in Ontario... am I playing with fire?

Rob posted this thread a few years ago: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ions-with-reciprocity-agreements-with-Ontario

Expect all Canadian Provinces to have reciprocal agreements with Ontario, with respect to infractions and suspension for lack of fine payment.

Demerit Points for Out-of-Province Convictions

• Drivers convicted of a driving related offence in the State of New York, the State of Michigan or any Canadian province or territory, will have home jurisdictional penalties such as demerit points and/or suspensions applied to their Ontario driver record as if the offence occurred in Ontario.

• Examples of out-of-province convictions where Ontario demerit points and /or suspensions will be applied include:
TrafficCriminal

• Speeding
  • Fail to obey stop sign
  • Fail to obey signal light
  • Fail to stop for school bus
  • Racing
  • Fail to remain or return to the scene of a collision
  • Careless driving

• Motor manslaughter
  • Criminal negligence
  • Dangerous driving
  • Failure to remain at scene of a collision
  • Impaired Driving
  • Driving while disqualified or prohibited

<tbody style="box-shadow: none !important; border-radius: 0px !important;">
</tbody>
States with reciprocal suspension agreements for failure to pay:

1. Alabama
2. Arizona
3. Arkansas
4. Colorado
5. Connecticut
6. Delaware
7. Idaho
8. Illinois
9. Indiana
10. Iowa
11. Kansas
12. Kentucky
13. Louisiana
14. Maryland
15. Michigan
16. Minnesota
17. Mississippi
18. Missouri
19. Montana
20. Nebraska
21. New Hampshire
22. New Jersey
23. New Mexico
24. New York
25. North Carolina
26. North Dakota
27. Ohio
28. Oklahoma
29. Oregon
30. Pennsylvania
31. Rhode Island
32. South Carolina
33. Tennessee
34. Texas
35. Utah
36. Virginia
37. Washington
38. West Virginia
39. Wisconsin
40. Wyoming
41. District of Columbia

As for not paying your tickets in states without reciprocal agreements... well, if you never go back to that state again maybe you'll get away with it -- but wouldn't it suck if you do go back and get arrested and thrown in prison for unpaid fines?

I don't mind paying tickets.. gotta pay to play. As long as the insurance companies don't rob you over the long run. Thanks for posting the link.

Rob posted this thread a few years ago: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ions-with-reciprocity-agreements-with-Ontario

As for not paying your tickets in states without reciprocal agreements... well, if you never go back to that state again maybe you'll get away with it -- but wouldn't it suck if you do go back and get arrested and thrown in prison for unpaid fines?

It's not just a matter of not going back to the state that issued the ticket to avoid the arrest warrant for skipping out, but also not going back to any other state that has reciprocal arrest warrant apprehension agreements with the ticket-issuing state.

It's a stupid thing to risk future entry visas/arrests over, and their fines are generally more reasonable than ours (NY can be expensive). It used to be that even in states with shared points, if you paid your tickets promptly they generally wouldn't bother to file the paperwork for the points. Dunno if that holds true today

Got a ticket in Tennessee. I paid it and insurance never went up. I don't know if they just didn't check my abstract or if Tennessee doesn't communicate with ontario in that sense.

I've had many many tickets throughout various US states in the past, some paid, some unpaid. Never been bothered by one.

http://www.justdrivepa.org/Resources/Pennsylvania Traffic Violation Fine Card.pdf

Looks like the fines in PA are very reasonable. You get $95 fine + fees for doing 90 in a 55...

Just googling some other states. In Virginia speeding is a serious no no. Some bloggers are talking about doing weekends in jail for going 80 mph + on the interstate or 20 over in other places. Ouch.

Some States also charge an additional "non resident" fee, on top of the basic fines/fees that a resident would pay. I know that New York does this, but I don't know if Pennsylvania does.

New York also charges an additional driver responsibility assessment for frequent offenders. This fees runs over three years and applies to locals and to out-of-state license holders. http://dmv.ny.gov/tickets/pay-driver-responsibility-assessment

Those fees are no different for locals or non residents. I was pointing out that non residents pay more than the set fines + fees that locals pay, so listed rates may not be applicable ;)

Since we are on this topic -- I remember hearing before that if you can pay roadside the fine is less. Is there actually any truth to this?

I have paid roadside in Tennessee and Georgia, what I can't say is if the funds paid went to the county coffers or in the officers pant pocket, i received a ticket so I don't know how they audit if at all internally. I didnt care as I received a good break both times, once in a 5 litre years ago at more than double the posted on the interstate , I expected to spend a night in the county jail.

Back
Top Bottom