License Plate Obstructed Ticket... when it was clearly visible. Worth fighting? | GTAMotorcycle.com

License Plate Obstructed Ticket... when it was clearly visible. Worth fighting?

bhattabdul

So I got an obstructed license plate ticket on the QEW a few weeks ago.

Here is a picture of the plate as I am getting the ticket: https://imgur.com/1SZKHTK

It passed safety no problem, and I've been pulled over once before and the cop didn't even mention the plate.
This officer felt the plate needed to be higher up on the tail.

Is this worth fighting? Do I have a chance?

Plate is not at the REAR of the vehicle as per statute. Plate is not readily visible from all angles as rearsets will obstruct view.

Plate is not at the REAR of the vehicle as per statute. Plate is not readily visible from all angles as rearsets will obstruct view.

I think that pretty much covers it.
Did this charge come in conjunction with others? Like they were a lane over and clearly see your plate in the HOV lane?

You have a 99% of being kosher if you keep it all stock.

Once you deviate with fenderectomy, custom plate mounting and lighting and turn signals, your chances of contravening HTA goes up.

Looks like your tire might be striking the plate over large bumps.

.. and i assume you have a tag bolt LED light or some other white light to illuminate the plate as well.

I think that pretty much covers it.
Did this charge come in conjunction with others? Like they were a lane over and clearly see your plate in the HOV lane?

Also, when you ride the bike, the suspension sag may make the plate disappear behind the rear wheel.
Technically theres other tickets you could have got. Ie. Integrated turn signals etc. (They need to be a min distance apart. )

So I got an obstructed license plate ticket on the QEW a few weeks ago.

Here is a picture of the plate as I am getting the ticket: https://imgur.com/1SZKHTK

It passed safety no problem, and I've been pulled over once before and the cop didn't even mention the plate.
This officer felt the plate needed to be higher up on the tail.

Is this worth fighting? Do I have a chance?
So what if it passed safety, plate isn't part of the safety certificate, (you can get a safety without even having a plate). A licence plate doesn't affect the safety of the bike..lol But yes that plate would be obstructed by the rear tire, the angle at which you took the photo, shows the plate clearly now take anohter photo standing say 50' behind the bike from the height of a seated person, (as they would be in a car following you, both with no one on the bike and then someone seated on the bike), that will be your answer. It will be obstructed by the rear tire. there is a reason the manufacturer doesn't position the plate where you have it. Because it is OBSTRUCTED.

Won't advise you not to fight it, but it is likely a losing proposition

And that picture is taken with nobody on the bike. Sitting on the bike will cause rear suspension to sag and I bet the plate becomes partially hidden behind the rear wheel.

If you put it back to stock and take pictures you might be able to talk the crown into letting you off.

If you put it back to stock and take pictures you might be able to talk the crown into letting you off.

Not to mention if it remains where it is any cop running your plate will see you have been tagged for this previously, automatic ticket

Is that also illegal due to no reflectors? They're found on the sides of the oem fender.

technically, yes, hence why I will replace my broken reflector. I dont need any reason for "fries with that" tickets if I'm ever in that situation. You probably wouldnt get the reflector charge alone, as its a waste of time, but bundles with a lot of other tickets..

technically, yes, hence why I will replace my broken reflector. I dont need any reason for "fries with that" tickets if I'm ever in that situation. You probably wouldnt get the reflector charge alone, as its a waste of time, but bundles with a lot of other tickets..

Is it? Reflectors fall under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act if I'm not mistaken, not the Ontario Highway Traffic Act. Not sure if it's a ticketable violation (i.e. the vehicle can't be sold without them, but nothing in the HTA says you need them)

And that picture is taken with nobody on the bike. Sitting on the bike will cause rear suspension to sag and I bet the plate becomes partially hidden behind the rear wheel.

The picture is also taken from way low, much lower than the head elevation of a person sitting in a standard police cruiser or SUV.

It's taken from an angle that is to the advantage of nobody but the rider trying to show it is visible.

Upon zooming in the plate bottom looks a little more worn under the "3". Might this be because of hitting the centre of the tire? Or is it simply bent under?

This is unfortunately in violation, your only hope is to bring it back to the stock configuration; bring receipts, and pictures to the crown.

Tell the crown you purchased and safetied the bike as-is and did not know it was in violation; play the dumb card.

Choose the early-resolution option, hopefully the charges will get withdrawn there.

If you proceed to trial and argue that your current setup is kocher with the HTA, you will lose. Keep in mind that this counts as a minor conviction on your driving abstract, and will be used to increase your insurance premiums. Collecting three of these minor tickets in a three year period will result in a cancellation of your insurance.

The next time you're stopped with a previous obstruct plate conviction, officers won't bother writing you a ticket; you will be issued a summons and they will be looking for fines closer to ~$1000, because you're a repeat offender and the $110 tickets aren't enough of a deterrent; it's happened before.

I don't get why people insist in putting their plates in that spot, I eliminated my fender and have a flip plate for the 407 but I put it in the back of the bike where is plenty visible and will never get any heat from cops. I did the same on my previous bikes as well

People are dumb, no offense.

Back
Top Bottom