License Plate Obstructed Ticket... when it was clearly visible. Worth fighting? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

License Plate Obstructed Ticket... when it was clearly visible. Worth fighting?

Someone I work with said he got the spray (in the US) and that it did work on the 407 but you never know if what people say it's true. When I didn't have a transponder, I did see a flash happen when I went by the toll on my car, it does not if you have a transponder but it does if you don't.
Also remember there are "products" that claim they work against photo raadar and red light cameras. One of which is a spray that reflects the camera flash as well as at least two plate covers. But the 407 cameras do not use a flash. I confirmed with the sole Canadian dealer, (which is in Calgary). He confirmed that these products do NOT work for the "Ontario toll cameras" Just in case anyone was considering these as an option...lol

The purpose of a remotely operated flip plate is to hide the plate. The purpose of walking behind your bike is to walk. Who is it, who is making the stretch? ;)

There doesn't seem to be any provision for an older car with a fuel filler cap behind the plate. While you're refueling, your plate isn't visible.
I'm sure the implication is at all times when the " vehicle is parked on a road or operated on a road". If I can flip my plate out of the way to wash the bike in my driveway, I'm not violated anything.

Let's not forget that 407ETR has also made other changes, which enrich their pockets even more. The first one to come to mind is if their system fails to detect your transponder, they used to charge you for only one exit. Now they take the "average distance traveled at that time. So how does one prove they didn't travel say the average 10 km but rather you only traveled 4 km?? You can't because you only get informed when you get your bill several weeks later.
I've called them in the past when this happened to me. They've always been reasonable and credited my account for any over-charged tolls, video-toll-charges, etc.

I've called them in the past when this happened to me. They've always been reasonable and credited my account for any over-charged tolls, video-toll-charges, etc.
That is the thing, they make some many "mistakes" and charge people with wrong charges and then are "reasonable" removing the charges they should have never added in the first place, wonder how many people don't go through their bill or realize the "errors", I am convinced that these errors are part of their billing policy.

There doesn't seem to be any provision for an older car with a fuel filler cap behind the plate. While you're refueling, your plate isn't visible.
I'm sure the implication is at all times when the " vehicle is parked on a road or operated on a road". If I can flip my plate out of the way to wash the bike in my driveway, I'm not violated anything.

This is where intent and officer/JP latitude come into play. If a 'device' was installed as a functional part of the vehicle from the factory, then the intent is pretty clear. The same can be said for something that was added after manufacture.

Saw an 80's era Delta 88 at a gas station in London today. He had the flip-down-plate-to-fuel-up that was mentioned. Thought of this thread. I also had meatballs and ice cream at my Nonna's. That is all.

Saw an 80's era Delta 88 at a gas station in London today. He had the flip-down-plate-to-fuel-up that was mentioned. Thought of this thread. I also had meatballs and ice cream at my Nonna's. That is all.

The best part about those fillers was their low height in relation to the fuel tank, and the straight-in no-bends filler neck that came with them. You could fill them up real fast if thge pump was a quick one. Only problem was, forget to put the gas cap on and you could loose a 1/4 tank of fuel just like that on a hard pull out of the gas station.

I had a bunch of friends a few years ago who went to Banff on a ski trip. Got a flat tire and couldnt work out how to drop the spare tire from underneath the rental SUV. (forgot what it was, but it was a nth american brand). There was no cell service where they got stuck.. and were all from the UK so never thought to look behind the licence plate for the access hole until a passing motorist helped them out. There was no owners manual in the vehicle :)

Last edited:
IIRC, the pre-mushy Chevy Caprices of the 90s had the filler behind the plate too. Nice little detail since you could pull up to any pump at the service station.

IIRC, the pre-mushy Chevy Caprices of the 90s had the filler behind the plate too. Nice little detail since you could pull up to any pump at the service station.

They had them right until the end (drove a 94 that still had the flip-down plate). There was a significant downside to it but I can't remember what it was. I do remember that it would ice over in the winter

One big downside is what happens when the car gets hit from behind. I don't know how GM managed to continue with this design as long as they did; perhaps because it was an "existing design" or some such thing.

Fiat/Chrysler/RAM/Jeep is in trouble now for having the gas tank at the back behind the rear axle (even though this was a common layout for many decades), and they didn't even have the filler neck back there.

I hate getting old. I forget so many things....
I used to have a 1985 Chevy Blazer. Lowered 4" in the front, 6" in the back. Shaved everything including the gas filler door. Relocated it behind the tail light. Tail light swung out, access to the gas filler. Quite possibly very illegal. Was also very cool.

One big downside is what happens when the car gets hit from behind. I don't know how GM managed to continue with this design as long as they did; perhaps because it was an "existing design" or some such thing.

Fiat/Chrysler/RAM/Jeep is in trouble now for having the gas tank at the back behind the rear axle (even though this was a common layout for many decades), and they didn't even have the filler neck back there.

Remember, back then you had steel bumpers and bodies that weren't built to accordion fold into themselves.

Back
Top Bottom