HOT lanes coming to T.O.... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HOT lanes coming to T.O....

Even though I think this is a horrible, stupid idea that needs to go to idea jail, the 401/404/Gardiner aren't truly paid for because they're all expensive maintenance nightmares.

But they generate tax revenue from gas. They are only expensive because a handful of construction companies share the "competitive" quoting system and nothing is organized, so you get a paving company on one day with $12M of new asphalt, then a drain company comes in and tears up 3 ft strips two weeks later. Just send the bills to the taxpayer.

Boston went and buried their highways...but they are billions over budget, and they did not expect to see maintenance costs so soon. Big disaster, it already looks 50 years old.

Why am i paying again for something that's been paid for?

The idea is you are paying for transit expansion, which will give you less traffic. We have no more room for lanes, and we already know widening lanes just puts off the problem a few years.

Toronto did not used to have that brown ring of pollution over the city.

The future is closer to New York, only the wealthy drive there.

Frankly, all this does is promote businesses to move out of Toronto to be able to pay people less. Since Ontario manufacturing is gone from the GTA, you can put a cubicle anywhere.

Frankly, there are nice cities to live in in SO that just don't have any of these issues, and real estate is reasonable.

But they generate tax revenue from gas. They are only expensive because a handful of construction companies share the "competitive" quoting system and nothing is organized, so you get a paving company on one day with $12M of new asphalt, then a drain company comes in and tears up 3 ft strips two weeks later. Just send the bills to the taxpayer.

Boston went and buried their highways...but they are billions over budget, and they did not expect to see maintenance costs so soon. Big disaster, it already looks 50 years old.

Yes, I've seen this too much, drain company or someone f***s the road up, does a very crappy job of "fixing" the asphalt after only for another company to come back and redo. Lakeshore rd before the Gardiner merges is a good example, few years back.

Yes, I've seen this too much, drain company or someone f***s the road up, does a very crappy job of "fixing" the asphalt after only for another company to come back and redo. Lakeshore rd before the Gardiner merges is a good example, few years back.

It's the norm.

Also, they have no responsibility if the road breaks up in a few years. The highway industry in Canada is a few very old companies, all with strong ties to the political parties, similar to insurance.

(remember the 15% reduction in rates promise? LOL)

They take our effin taxes and wont even provide a half arrrs road for us to drive on?! WTH kina government is this?! As if roads are not horrible enough as it is, now the rich get to enjoy even more preferential treatment while the middle class have to go eff themselves, sitting in traffic so they can get to work, pay more taxes to the effin government so they can have less and less every year! Faawk this government!!!

Oh I totally understand that, just wanted to point out that buying our highways was not a one-time transaction. And yeah, the unfortunate thing about the Big Dig is that it has poisoned the well on big infrastructure investments. About the best thing you can say about it is that they did in the end actually get roads out of the project.

The idea is you are paying for transit expansion, which will give you less traffic. We have no more room for lanes, and we already know widening lanes just puts off the problem a few years.

Toronto did not used to have that brown ring of pollution over the city.

The future is closer to New York, only the wealthy drive there.

This is a sort of another problem - our infrastructure will NEVER approach New York's. We will never have as comprehensive of a train system as they do, or even as comprehensive of a *road* system as they do. It's too late, the land is gone and we will never be able to afford to expropriate it unless we go through a Detroit-style recession and the land becomes worthless. Never mind the eye-watering costs of having the city/province helm any construction projects.

I figure about the best we'll be able to do in the next half-century is make the TTC (or whatever entity absorbs it in the future) a less hellish experience for people who have to commute for more than ten minutes. We can't add much subway, but we can always add more buses. Make it actually an appealing option, and not fumble the ball when the ridership starts going up.

This HOT talk reminds me of something else I heard on the radio -- Someone either said or supported a $0.20/L fuel price increase as it was needed for our roads. Don't we already pay enough for gas as it is? Maybe they also want to raise the HST to 50% too while they are at it?

I love this and I wish I could pay a toll to have a faster speed limit than other drivers as well....that would be awesome.

Why am i paying again for something that's been paid for?
I think the idea that roads are a net cost to society has been gaining ground year to year, so in effect we'll always be paying for those "paid-for" roads. This new costing method factors in all the damage that driving causes to the environment, to health, to the economy. Of course there are plenty of positives that come from having a strong road network as well, the point is just that the downsides have never been fully factored into the math before.

So governments around the world are trying to find ways to minimize our dependence on the car to reflect this new perspective.

http://movingforward.discoursemedia.org/costofcommute/

Good thing we didn't elect Tim Hudak and his plan to let go 100,000 civil servants and kept Auntie Kathleen and her merry band of crooks). She talks out of three sides of her mouth..lol

As I said just another reason to avoid Toronto at all costs, (your being foolish if you think this isn't coming to DVP and Gardiner. Despite what Mayor Tory wants Auntie Kathleen will "promise" the Toronto lefties millions for transit, if they do this. DONE DEAL

I think she can buy them out with a few new bike lanes , never mind transit.

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

I posted this in another thread, might be worth reposting here.

[video=youtube_share;oqfFe2MlZG8]http://youtu.be/oqfFe2MlZG8[/video]

No, everyone will be forced to use a transponder when entering/exiting the HOV/HOT lanes at all times; similar to how 407ETR requires ALL transport trucks to use transponders.

There will be buttons to switch between Toll/HOV on the transponder.

Tvtva1P.jpg

The police will have detectors in their vehicles which will show which setting you have the transponder switched to.

If you're set to HOV and you're by yourself... you're getting stopped for toll evasion.

If you're using the HOV w/o transponder then your vehicle license plate will be photographed and you'll receive a bill in the mail. You may also be stopped for toll evasion, for failing to use transponder in the HOT/HOV lane.

Things will get a lot more complicated for drivers when HOT lanes are rolled out.

OPP are no strangers to being toll collectors: https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto...r_readers_react_to_opp_role_on_toll_road.html

The hot lanes will ruin an already brutal Toronto small business economy. I don't even want to think of the consequences..

I said it before and I will say it again. We need to revolt. And you can't think of it as being uncivil or unlawful.

At what point do we blindly stop following and obeying "the government ". ???

They clearly make brutal decisions with no regard to the public. The only care is to generate more revenue to pay their lavish salaries and misplanned and over budgeted ventures.

Line up 1000 motorcycles and ride across the HOV on the 401 and soon everyone will follow.

Strength in numbers.

Oh I totally understand that, just wanted to point out that buying our highways was not a one-time transaction. And yeah, the unfortunate thing about the Big Dig is that it has poisoned the well on big infrastructure investments. About the best thing you can say about it is that they did in the end actually get roads out of the project.

This is a sort of another problem - our infrastructure will NEVER approach New York's. We will never have as comprehensive of a train system as they do, or even as comprehensive of a *road* system as they do. It's too late, the land is gone and we will never be able to afford to expropriate it unless we go through a Detroit-style recession and the land becomes worthless. Never mind the eye-watering costs of having the city/province helm any construction projects.

I figure about the best we'll be able to do in the next half-century is make the TTC (or whatever entity absorbs it in the future) a less hellish experience for people who have to commute for more than ten minutes. We can't add much subway, but we can always add more buses. Make it actually an appealing option, and not fumble the ball when the ridership starts going up.

+100

No, everyone will be forced to use a transponder when entering/exiting the HOV/HOT lanes at all times; similar to how 407ETR requires ALL transport trucks to use transponders.

See, that's exactly the kind of complicated cluster**** I do not want in the hands of the MTO. We would be better off with the return of the vehicle registration tax, if it came down to it.

See, that's exactly the kind of complicated cluster**** I do not want in the hands of the MTO. We would be better off with the return of the vehicle registration tax, if it came down to it.

It won't be in the hands of the MTO. You can bet that it will probably be out-sourced to 407ETR just like tolling admin on the provincially-owned eastern extension of the 407 will be done by 407ETR on behalf of the province.

It won't be in the hands of the MTO. You can bet that it will probably be out-sourced to 407ETR just like tolling admin on the provincially-owned eastern extension of the 407 will be done by 407ETR on behalf of the province.

That would make sense, from the point of view of people that have gotten over the 100 year lease of the 407. Me, I just died a little inside

Wow, transponders and dedicated separate lanes? Yikes... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Why not just have a windshield sticker that you pay for annually/monthly that lets you use the HOT lanes for a flat rate?

But aren't our taxes collected on a continued basis? Isn't it the responsibility of the government to allocate funds for building AND maintaining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the pretty lighting on the Bloor viaduct will be kept after the Pan poop games or will the 3.5 million bling be scrapped. If it's kept who picks up the tab for maintaining the thing?

Back
Top Bottom