Touring Ontario's Highlands | GTAMotorcycle.com

Touring Ontario's Highlands

This is where I ride mostly and most are good (long) day rides for me. It's true that there's great roads there but you have to take that in context. These are great for Ontario. Being able to do some non pavement stretches really opens up the entire region though. I do a lot of rides where I won't see anyone for hours and can pick a lake to sit alongside for a break. One of my favourite head clearing rides is a loop around Mazinaw Lake and a bit of the 509 on the way back. Sometimes I'll do that and on the eastern side of the lake I'll maybe see one or two cars total. Maybe one day I'll have to take a trip up to the forks and see what all the fuss is about.

We were looking forward to a "highly touted" twisty in Eureka....must have been written by a Hardley rider. Not boring and was scenic but neither was it as advertised.

I'll have to take a trip up to the forks

JC
If you mean Belfountain ...don't bother for the roads...but the riders make for good chat and coffee is great.

If you are up for leading a mellow tour I'd love to ride my Vstrom up and have some local pointers.

We were looking forward to a "highly touted" twisty in Eureka....must have been written by a Hardley rider. Not boring and was scenic but neither was it as advertised.

JC
If you mean Belfountain ...don't bother for the roads...but the riders make for good chat and coffee is great.

If you are up for leading a mellow tour I'd love to ride my Vstrom up and have some local pointers.

I'd be up for a long loop through Algonquin again, would love to see another Moose...stop for some butter tarts in Maynooth, photo stops along the way. Midweek suits Weds are best for me. Mellow is good!

Afternoon loop around Mazinaw good too. Good Canadian shield landscapes.

Yeah....I'd be up for a meet. I appreciate it's a long way from the GTA but a loop through Algonquin ends up on the western side not being too far away from home for you guys.

I occasionally do rides for nerdy reasons too like...going to see El Dorado (first gold strike in Ontario)...that sort of thing.

This is where I ride mostly and most are good (long) day rides for me. It's true that there's great roads there but you have to take that in context. These are great for Ontario. Being able to do some non pavement stretches really opens up the entire region though. I do a lot of rides where I won't see anyone for hours and can pick a lake to sit alongside for a break. One of my favourite head clearing rides is a loop around Mazinaw Lake and a bit of the 509 on the way back. Sometimes I'll do that and on the eastern side of the lake I'll maybe see one or two cars total. Maybe one day I'll have to take a trip up to the forks and see what all the fuss is about.

This sounds like the ideal ride to me. I go during the weekdays sometimes alone sometimes with a buddy. What kind of bike do you ride? I'm glad there is no shortage of gas stations out there..

This sounds like the ideal ride to me. I go during the weekdays sometimes alone sometimes with a buddy. What kind of bike do you ride? I'm glad there is no shortage of gas stations out there..

Tiger 1050. Let's sort something out for a Wednesday? Nothing manic. I know some decent food stops.

You guys are speaking my language, I was up through Algonquin in late June (before school was out) and saw 3 moose, a fox and about 5 cars. It was great. One day maybe I'll tag along!

Tiger 1050. Let's sort something out for a Wednesday? Nothing manic. I know some decent food stops.

I'm game for a ride. I'm on a GSXR 750 so I may need to stop for fuel more often. What times were you thinking and I'm going to check the weather real quick..

need directions etc ...meetup spot hopefully on the western edge of the riding area.
Email if you like
macdoc@macdoc.com

looks like the usual hot with Tstorms

I'd likely stay a night .... as was considering going on to Rouyn-Noranda on Frday early anyway and a Quebec Loop...not sure if I want to do James bay again.

Last edited:
I'm game for a ride. I'm on a GSXR 750 so I may need to stop for fuel more often. What times were you thinking and I'm going to check the weather real quick..

Whats your range? PM me your email, MacDoc gave me his. I'll see if I can think of something interesting that will keep your gixxer still clean ��. If I can swing it would this coming Wed be too soon? Could do a meet up somewhere on Highway 7, would Madoc be too Far East for you guys? Kaladar is better as there's more options into the Lanark Highlands from there and some fun roads nearby. If MacDoc wants to head up North he could split off at one of the entrances to Algonquin depending on if we do a loop there. Can move this to "rides" in the correct forum now maybe.

I'll see if I can think of something interesting that will keep your gixxer still clean

I'm happy with that as well - my Heidenaus departed with the other well armord Wee and I'm on Road Pilots and no armor except a plastic bash plate.

Bike is light and agile on pavement - not up for rougher stuff.
Madoc is okay for me - can slab early - maybe beat the sun....hmmm MacDoc iin Madoc...:rolleyes:

Slab to Bellville then north.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind tagging along for a ride on Wed if guys are okay with it, let me know what type of ride it will be so I know which bike to bring.

Well this was the lead in ....

and I'll have the camera along. I'm being skittsh on another ticket while fighting one so it's been serious sight seeing for me until I get to PA and points south....then I can let the Strom loose a bit.
Of course I ain't leading it .....

Back
Top Bottom