VICTORY RACING AT ISLE OF MAN TT ZERO - Victory Motorcycles | GTAMotorcycle.com

VICTORY RACING AT ISLE OF MAN TT ZERO - Victory Motorcycles

Skully

some drama involved, victory/indian/polaris aren't planning on shutting down anytime soon.

[video=youtube;FDsOJCiTubs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDsOJCiTubs[/video]

Victory IOM Zero TT Podium E-Bike Stolen—Reward for Information link to story HERE

2015%2F07%2FVictory-Zero-TT-bike-stolen-770x4931.jpg

Victory Isle of Man TT racer has been RECOVERED. story HERE and HERE

Electric bikes seem easy. Look how many new E bikes are out there compared to new ICE bikes and you'll see what I mean. What's so challenging? It's a battery an electric motor and a chassis. Even HD, the supposed poster child for low technology has one. There's no way the current battery technology will replace ICE bikes. They'll have to come out with a E bike battery that doesn't start losing power the millisecond it's turned on, and one that can be fully recharged in less than 10 minutes to cause a real stir IMO. For now, they're just battery driven chassis that are fun for short distances...no big deal. I wonder why Victory wouldn't have raced their ICE powered sport bike platform they're reportedly working on, or Project 156? Too much serious ICE competition? Easier to just build a bike with a a battery and motor and a chassis, and enter into an emerging/experimental racing class than face humiliation against ICE bikes, yes?

Somebody needs to take that Irishman rider aside and give him a history lesson on the confederate flag. He comes across as an idiot wearing it considering the recent news and past associations. Considering the cruel subjugation and even mass starvation Ireland suffered under British rule, you'd think he'd better understand the semiotics of flags.

Last edited:
Electric bikes seem easy. Look how many new E bikes are out there compared to new ICE bikes and you'll see what I mean. What's so challenging? It's a battery an electric motor and a chassis. Even HD, the supposed poster child for low technology has one. There's no way the current battery technology will replace ICE bikes. They'll have to come out with a E bike battery that doesn't start losing power the millisecond it's turned on, and one that can be fully recharged in less than 10 minutes to cause a real stir IMO. For now, they're just battery driven chassis that are fun for short distances...no big deal. I wonder why Victory wouldn't have raced their ICE powered sport bike platform they're reportedly working on, or Project 156? Too much serious ICE competition? Easier to just build a bike with a a battery and motor and a chassis, and enter into an emerging/experimental racing class than face humiliation against ICE bikes, yes?

Somebody needs to take that Irishman rider aside and give him a history lesson on the confederate flag. He comes across as an idiot wearing it considering the recent news and past associations. Considering the cruel subjugation and even mass starvation Ireland suffered under British rule, you'd think he'd better understand the semiotics of flags.

I think you're doing a huge disservice suggesting that electric bikes are 'easy'. You're talking about engineers at the absolute top of the game, and they're trying things that have never been done before. Many manufacturers are dipping their toes into electric because everybody is reading the writing on the wall. Oil production is finite, electricity at least appears to be sustainable. Also, electric engines are exciting! Everything about them is different, and the guys doing the R&D probably get their rocks off on doing something new. In the tech world, change happens because the people at the top figure out cool ****, and it eventually trickles down as the tech becomes more affordable. Motorcycles are a relatively inexpensive way to go about that process.

Also, Lee Johnston isn't wearing the confederate flag. Sure it has starts and crossed blue stripes, but the background is pink (or black on some of his helmets), there are 12 starts instead of 13, and the stars overlay the bars, rather than being set within them. It's similar sure, but so are the German and Belgian flags and yet nobody would call them the same.

I think you're doing a huge disservice suggesting that electric bikes are 'easy'. You're talking about engineers at the absolute top of the game, and they're trying things that have never been done before. Many manufacturers are dipping their toes into electric because everybody is reading the writing on the wall. Oil production is finite, electricity at least appears to be sustainable. Also, electric engines are exciting! Everything about them is different, and the guys doing the R&D probably get their rocks off on doing something new. In the tech world, change happens because the people at the top figure out cool ****, and it eventually trickles down as the tech becomes more affordable. Motorcycles are a relatively inexpensive way to go about that process.

Also, Lee Johnston isn't wearing the confederate flag. Sure it has starts and crossed blue stripes, but the background is pink (or black on some of his helmets), there are 12 starts instead of 13, and the stars overlay the bars, rather than being set within them. It's similar sure, but so are the German and Belgian flags and yet nobody would call them the same.

The current battery technology no matter how much experimented with will not take E bikes to the promised land: 150-200 mile range with a fullcharge without a reduction in power, and 10 minutes full recharge. They’re using lithium ion batteries, like in my power drill. BFD. The future for e-bikes will be found in laboratories, not on the Isle of man or other race tracks. That’s just marketing BS. They're flogging dead technology. There’s more than enough oil for hundreds of years. Just in the US shale deposits alone they have three times the Saudi oil reserves, and more exploration will yield more, not to mention better technologies in current ICE engines and drive trains to boost mileage. E vehicles are a dead end, they probably cause more pollution in their creation and disposal and charging than do ICE's in the long run.

As for the flag: sorry, but that helmet evokes a confederate flag which evokes more than just a geographic location, it evokes a system of repression, segregation, racism and cruelty. The German flag does not evoke any of that but a swastika does, regardless of where it’s used or the colours or direction it points when it's shown on a helmet. So do crossed blue bars and stars.

Last edited:
The current battery technology no matter how much experimented with will not take E bikes to the promised land: 150-200 mile range with a fullcharge without a reduction in power, and 10 minutes full recharge. They’re using lithium ion batteries, like in my power drill. BFD. The future for e-bikes will be found in laboratories, not on the Isle of man or other race tracks. That’s just marketing BS. They're flogging dead technology. There’s more than enough oil for hundreds of years. Just in the US shale deposits alone they have three times the Saudi oil reserves, and more exploration will yield more, not to mention better technologies in current ICE engines and drive trains to boost mileage. E vehicles are a dead end, they probably cause more pollution in their creation and disposal and charging than do ICE's in the long run.

When lithium tools first came out, the construction industry workers considered them "toys". The tech in your power drill is about 15 years ago.

There are hundreds of millions of batteries in every vehicle around the world, full of toxic lead and sulphuric acid, they are not disposed, they are recycled. No one is going to throw out a lithium battery, they are worth too much recycled. And don't use the coal argument, zero electric in Quebec and Ontario comes from coal. The Tesla mega factory will be constructing batteries with solar as the only energy source for the plant.

The point of the TT Zero is R&D (something Canadians don't get because we do so little of it), and they went from laps of 155 to 191 km/hr average in just four years with almost complete reliability. Both batteries and motors are developing. Honda now has a two-speed stator that gives equal efficiency at high and low speeds, hardly marketing BS.

The range of a Zero S is 185 miles city.

Stanford just patented an electrode design on an aluminum battery with 60 second charge times and 7500 charge cycles with no capacity loss.

Hardly dead technology, as opposed to ICE which spend ~80% of the fuel energy as waste heat, and haven't changed much in 50 years.

As for the flag: sorry, but that helmet evokes a confederate flag which evokes more than just a geographic location, it evokes a system of repression, segregation, racism and cruelty. The German flag does not evoke any of that but a swastika does, regardless of where it’s used or the colours or direction it points when it's shown on a helmet. So do crossed blue bars and stars.

That it evokes the confederate flag to you is solely on you, because it is simply not the confederate flag. Again, just because it looks similar to a thing does not mean it is that thing. The German flag is black, yellow and red bars. The Belgian flag is black, yellow and red bars. They are not the same thing.
Flagbig.GIF
Belgium_flag.gif

Battery technology and electronics are about to take a great leap forward over the next ten years. If you told someone 30 years ago that we would be using phones 1000 times more powerful than the biggest computer they would call you crazy. With that in mind it's not surprising there are doubters today about electric motorcycles. But incredible new discoveries are being made and the amount of money going into electronics research is staggering:

http://www.sciencealert.com/scienti...eed-up-electronics?perpetual=yes&limitstart=1

Battery technology and electronics are about to take a great leap forward over the next ten years. If you told someone 30 years ago that we would be using phones 1000 times more powerful than the biggest computer they would call you crazy. With that in mind it's not surprising there are doubters today about electric motorcycles. But incredible new discoveries are being made and the amount of money going into electronics research is staggering:

http://www.sciencealert.com/scienti...eed-up-electronics?perpetual=yes&limitstart=1

That's the type of thing I'm talking about: research in labs, not marketing on race courses, is where the furtue of e-vehicles lie. The current lithium ion batteriers are a dead end. Sure, they may make them better over time, but it's not enough to make them a worthwhile alternative to ICE vehicles. Like rocket technology: sure, compared to the early days of the V2, it's light years ahead, but in terms of where we need to get to re deep space travel, it's still useless. Same with miconisation of technoogy. Still using binary, only faster. Not going to take us to where we need to go. Need a new paragigm, not an imporved old one.

Right now, E-vehicles are little more than novelties, and I have a good chuckle when I see a Tesla car, knowing how much they cost, and how they willl end up in the diposal heap in a few years, as opposed to a similarly priced ICE vehicle. Good for the economy, bad for the environment.

That it evokes the confederate flag to you is solely on you, because it is simply not the confederate flag. Again, just because it looks similar to a thing does not mean it is that thing. The German flag is black, yellow and red bars. The Belgian flag is black, yellow and red bars. They are not the same thing.
Flagbig.GIF
Belgium_flag.gif

If you would have read my posts a little closer, you would not have jumpred the the conclusion that I was speaking about flags. I was speaking about that Irish rider's helmet *evoking* the conferate flag, not *being* a confederate flag.

Paint a German flag on your helmet, that's fine. I ride an older Beemer; my best friend is German. I have no qualms with what a German flag evokes: Germany, the country, the culture, the people. Paint a swastika on your helmet OTOH, regadless of colour, and that's going to evoke something different: hatred, violence, death squads. (in the west that is) Similarly, so do the crossed bars and stars on that rider's helmet as it evokes the system of injustice and violence etc, associated with the confederate states, even though its not a confederate flag itself. You no doubt are aware it, the actual flag, was brought down in some jurisdictions in the south, as were swaztikas in Germany, because of their shapes and symbolic meanings, not the colours.

Phones will never be smaller than this and who needs more than 12 minutes a charge?

358807.jpg

Back
Top Bottom