Rims - Anywhere with a good selection that's inexpensive (vs dealer)? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rims - Anywhere with a good selection that's inexpensive (vs dealer)?

I recently had a little mishap that resulted in my front wheel on my Ninja 300 being severely dented. I'm going to attempt to get it straightened, but I've been cautioned that it might crack because of how bad it is. In case that doesn't work out, or even if it does (it might be severely weakened at that spot), I want to find some replacements.

In the meantime, I've been trying to find a replacement rim. The OEM front wheel looks to be around $600-700 from the dealer. I'm hoping to get something cheaper, preferably locally so I can pick up right away without crazy shipping costs. But I haven't been able to find any Ninja 300 wheels on Kijiji or Ebay, or even Ninja 250R tires which look like the closest match to the 300. Google search has not been successful either. Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for any shops or anywhere I might have a better chance at finding something at a decent price, either used, aftermarket or whatever. Or even if it's not specifically for the Ninja 300, but would work on it.

Or if all fails, does anyone know the cheapest places to get OEM components?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Have you checked any of the bike salvage yards?

I recently had a little mishap that resulted in my front wheel on my Ninja 300 being severely dented. I'm going to attempt to get it straightened, but I've been cautioned that it might crack because of how bad it is. In case that doesn't work out, or even if it does (it might be severely weakened at that spot), I want to find some replacements.

In the meantime, I've been trying to find a replacement rim. The OEM front wheel looks to be around $600-700 from the dealer. I'm hoping to get something cheaper, preferably locally so I can pick up right away without crazy shipping costs. But I haven't been able to find any Ninja 300 wheels on Kijiji or Ebay, or even Ninja 250R tires which look like the closest match to the 300. Google search has not been successful either. Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for any shops or anywhere I might have a better chance at finding something at a decent price, either used, aftermarket or whatever. Or even if it's not specifically for the Ninja 300, but would work on it.

Thanks!

I'd like to know this as well actually. If you think OEM ones are pricey...most of the aftermarket ones are $2000+ for a set. They're usually lighter and have more color selection but wtf!

Have you checked any of the bike salvage yards?
I've been asking around whatever Google shows in the GTA, but haven't had much luck yet.
油井緋色;2330541 said:
I'd like to know this as well actually. If you think OEM ones are pricey...most of the aftermarket ones are $2000+ for a set. They're usually lighter and have more color selection but wtf!

Haha, yeah... When I saw those prices, I was like these must be the high performance aftermarket parts. I just need to find regular parts... Can't find any!

Well, if the scrap yards don't work out, anyone know some places that seem to be able to get OEM prices for cheaper?

I think the Front ones are pretty elusive as used rims. Bikes in salvage (late model) are usually due to an accident,an I think most accidents that write off bikes are front first....

Knowing that lighter wheels can greatly help a car you would think riders (in search of more performance) would spend the money on them.

This makes me wish I'd parted out every bike I've ever sold.
What's a used set of rims worth?

Knowing that lighter wheels can greatly help a car you would think riders (in search of more performance) would spend the money on them.

It's all about value - racers might chase that advantage but for your average bike it's better to spend the money somewhere else. Besides, most bike wheels aren't that heavy to begin with - for older bikes or ones that have unusually heavy wheels it's much, much cheaper to just swap in stock wheels from another bike

Optimizing performance isn't really the priority of a newbie like me that's still learning to ride on a Ninja 300 :-?
If I wanted performance and was willing to spend another $2000-3000, I think I would get a ZX6R instead of spending it on lighter wheels for the Ninja 300.

Try calling Carcone to fix your rim. They did a really good job on a rim for me, free delivery & pickup too.

Try calling Carcone to fix your rim. They did a really good job on a rim for me, free delivery & pickup too.
Thank you for the suggestion! I've contacted them but they said they don't do motorcycle rims. So far, I've found Rim King and Tire Butler willing to straighten it for motorcycles, although Tire Butler advises me that the bend may be too severe and may crack if attempted.

Carcone did my bike rim so that's quite odd

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hmm, that's extremely strange indeed. For rim repairs, I've contacted the following companies with these responses:

• Rim King - Need rim completely stripped. Even from bearings.
  • Carcone - Sorry we do not fix or sell motorcycle wheels.
  • Tire Butler - If it is simply not cost effective to replace and you would rather attempt to fix the wheel I can attempt it and if it cracks we won't charge you for the work.
  • Union Rim - No sorry we dont fix bent motorcycle wheel. We can sandblast and powdercoat them.
  • Leprecon - [FONT=Lucida Grande, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Unfortunately we won't be able to help you with this repair since we are not set to fix motorcycle wheels.[/FONT]
  • Parsmoto - No response yet
  • Precision Rim - No response yet

Thanks!

Try Sonic Cycle, I called them this morning. They have a 2011 ninja 250 for parts, 4300 km. the front rim is perfect and they want $250.
Your welcome.
Sonic Cycle 2690 Dundas st London
1-519-659-7833

Try Sonic Cycle, I called them this morning. They have a 2011 ninja 250 for parts, 4300 km. the front rim is perfect and they want $250.
Your welcome.
Sonic Cycle 2690 Dundas st London
1-519-659-7833
Thank you for that! Is the 2011 Ninja 250 front rim plug and play with the Ninja 300? I actually found a 2008 rim as well, but the scrap yard said it wasn't compatible with the 300.

John at Bent Bikes in Mississauga near Dundas and 427 still straightens rims.
905-273-3717
He is only open Friday and Saturday.
Call, leave a message. He may call you back during the week.
I have seen some pretty bad rims straightened.

Ontario Cycle Salvage is another option.

You'll find front wheels are usually more expensive because they're more likely to get damaged and there's more demand. Here's one on ebay, taking the rim tape off shouldn't be too hard if you don't like it. When I was in a similar situation a few years back looking for a 250 front wheel I just went on ebay. I got a nice michelin front tire which I needed anyways, and a spare rotor for what the wheel itself was costing me here at Zdeno's and other salvage places that had one.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/13-14-15-KAWASAKI-NINJA-300-EX300B-EX-300-ABS-FRONT-WHEEL-RIM-SHELF-STRAIGHT-/171865775251?hash=item2803ff9c93&vxp=mtr

Not a bad price for tire, rotor and wheel...takes offers as well. It sucks that our dollar is so **** right now though...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/460-2013-kaw...r17-/181804391167?hash=item2a5462daff&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom