Police U-Turn in-front on motorcyclist | GTAMotorcycle.com

Police U-Turn in-front on motorcyclist

Hope rider is ok.

The OPP on Highway 10 are a law unto themselves. I'm getting tired of seeing them traveling over the speed limit, doing spontaneous u-turns and playing the "anything to get rid of a book of tickets" game. Going to have to start contacting the politicians and put someone on the hot seat.

Not with certainty, but the person who took the picture said "Holy s***. Just watched OPP cruiser U-turn into front of motorcycle. Motorcycle slammed brakes, slid into cruiser. "

The person who took the picture is Shawn Micallef, a Toronto writer who edits Spacing and writes every Friday in the Star. I hope his testimony and access to public channels will be good for the integrity of the investigation. He also wrote:

"OPP cruiser was in right lane. U-turned in front of cycle so fast. OPP didn't look."

Get well soon rider.

The OPP on Highway 10 are a law unto themselves. I'm getting tired of seeing them traveling over the speed limit, doing spontaneous u-turns and playing the "anything to get rid of a book of tickets" game. Going to have to start contacting the politicians and put someone on the hot seat.

This has been an ongoing issue and the politicians are aware of it. Maybe the SIU will make and example out of the U-turing cop and it will be taken care of before someone is killed.

This article is from 2012.
http://www.caledonenterprise.com/news-story/1372572-councillor-asks-caledon-opp-to-drive-safe/

Last edited:
I get the feeling more and more that the SIU doesn't really get to decide when to charge. It is in my opinion that it is still left up to the crown. I'd like to see the crown removed from the process.

Happened to me last week on Markham Road just north of Sheppard. Toronto Cop pulled a U Turn right in front of me to nab a suspected speeder. Cop thinks he's a boss!! Pretty dangerous move if you ask me just to write a ticket. I should have written the cruiser number down and filed a complaint....Hope rider is ok

I get the feeling more and more that the SIU doesn't really get to decide when to charge. It is in my opinion that it is still left up to the crown. I'd like to see the crown removed from the process.
They always use the " no reasonable chance of conviction" trick too

This is the process for ALL charges. Even if you were to lay a "private information", (basically lay the charge yourself), the crown still has to review the evidence and case. In our legal system the "crown" represents the people. So they are involved in every decision as to weather to proceed or not. The crown is the one who must present the "people's case" to the court, therefore, they can NOT be removed from the process. Doesn't matter if it is the police, private citizen, SIU, or any other government entity, (min of Environment, MTO, MNRF) the crown is the one to decide if there will be a charge filed.

Crowns often use the terminology, "no reasonable expectation of a conviction" as they better than most realize how difficult it is to get a jury to convict a police officer, (this isn't unique to Ontario, or Canada for that matter). So unless the evidence is overwhelmingly biased to the crown they choose not to proceed. It is also NOT a crown from the court area where the accused officer works they ALWAYS bring in a "special prosecutor" to review and then proceed if warranted, (presumably this removes any appearance of favoritism.

Hopefully this is the case. The cruiser WILL have GPS data available to SIU. Witness testimony can at times be unreliable. Perfect case is the one where a Peel officer was just cleared in a shooting by the SIU some witnesses, claim the man had his hands in air and was unarmed while others said he had a knife, There is an audio only recording and you can hear officers yelling drop the knife several times. But those witness still say there was no knife.

If someone breaks into my house and they have a knife, I'm not allowed to fill them with bullets. But if I'm a cop with a bullet proof vest on, a baton I've been trained to use, why is it ok for a cop to shoot and kill that person. Even in Russia they try to disarm suspect before opening fire.

If someone breaks into my house and they have a knife, I'm not allowed to fill them with bullets. But if I'm a cop with a bullet proof vest on, a baton I've been trained to use, why is it ok for a cop to shoot and kill that person. Even in Russia they try to disarm suspect before opening fire.

Maybe you're not allowed....someone enters my home and endangers my family, only one of us is walking out. Btw, I'm hoping the one is me.
But yeah, I'd have a much harder time clearing myself, than the other example.

Step back and ask why it's okay for someone to brandish a knife at a police officer. It's not supposed to be fair fight. The police aren't going to have every conceivable weapon on their belt and pull out the one that matches what the suspect has.
I'm not suggesting at all that it's okay to shoot first and ask questions later, or that many of these cases couldn't be handled differently. It's clear by the system we have, and public reaction to these incidents, that as a society we are concerned and we want the best outcome. Nobody's giving carte blanche to the police to open fire, but when a gun pointed out you and demands to drop the knife aren't enough to make you comply, you're dangerous and unpredictable.
If a cop points a gun and me and says drop the knife, I know it's not time for negotiation.

Back
Top Bottom