European Drivers | GTAMotorcycle.com

European Drivers

Baggsy

Site Supporter
Seem to have some sort of shared insanity gene.

Just got back from two weeks in the Mediterranean.

Is it just that they don't have the automobile density, or large enough vehicles, to cause a mass extinction?

I saw virtually no trucks on the highways, one day I checked out drivers as we passed, (I wasn't driving),
and only 40% weren't talking on a cell or texting, while trying to shift, making extra lanes, dodge splitting scooters, and sometimes smoking.

Is it just that they expect everyone else to drive that way, i.e. without any rules, and act accordingly, or are there more accidents than are reported there?

No trucks might indicate a bad economy. The other behaviour might explain why. Dunno for sure.

Depends on where you were precisely. EU countries generally have lower heavy truck weight and dimension limits than canada. Unlikely you would see any 54 ft truck-trailer combinations that dominate the 401. Likely you saw smaller vocational vehicles?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And somehow they still appear to be more aware than your typical North American commuter :cool:

And somehow they still appear to be more aware than your typical North American commuter :cool:
You'd think so, but it doesn't seem to be true. In fact they seem less aware. On one trip 40% of the people we passed! weren't on their cell phones. Our driver in a 8 passenger Mercedes van, made 4 outgoing and 1 incoming call, while moving out of the passing lane once.

The one big thing, they seem to have going for them is less density traffic, and more willingness to go slower.

This was in Rome. Greece and Turkey seemed similar.

Good point.. Never been to Greece or Turkey and it's been over 20 years since my last time in Rome

This was in Rome. Greece and Turkey seemed similar.

These three countries are really not the best representative sample of Of the whole Europe or its driving qualities. You do realize that, right? Greece and Turkey would be at the bottom of the driving qualities for sure ... Italy? Well that's a different breed altogether ... LOL

Back
Top Bottom