Engine seized while riding | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Engine seized while riding

For clarification: Is the engine actually seized (e.g. does not turn at all or with extreme difficulty), or does it just not run? Replacing a starter usually does not require any draining of oil, but some manufacturers can do things a little strangely.

If it's a pinging and not a knocking sound, I would look in the top end (cylinder head) to start. Pinging under load can indicate detonation, and can even cause loss of power, but will not normally result in a dramatic failure in a normal engine (i.e. not a motor built for drag racing). Unless something knocked the ignition timing waaaaaaay off, but the ignition rotor is usually keyed pretty firmly to the crankshaft so this is pretty unlikely.

None of this advice means anything if you're not going to look at it yourself, though.

For what I paid for it in comparison to other bikes, and the amount it saved me on insurance, I could buy two (or three) Hyosung's. Yeah, they *both* might die after awhile, but the odds of that are at least slim. I was looking for an inexpensive, low insurance bike that was comfortable for a beginner and I could learn to do maintenance and some repairs on, which it is well suited for.

Regardless, I wasn't looking for opinions (unless a free bike is coming with it! Then I'll gladly take them), I was curious what may have possibly caused it, and what the possible issue could be. Y'know, so I can actually learn from this, so I have more knowledge when I move on to a different bike.

I had literally just picked the bike up from Rosey Toe's when the pinging started, and I'd asked them to give it a once-over; I saw the mechanic check the oil level along with some other things quickly. It'd been 2k since the last oil change, and I ordered a filter last weekend to change the oil when I got back from vacation next week. Got called in to work unexpectedly (I've been working from home during the PA Games), otherwise I wasn't planning on riding it before the change, since the pinging hadn't died down with a fresh tank of gas.

Would replacing the starter motor typically involve an oil loss? Would a pinging leading to seizure commonly indicate any internal parts breaking?

Thanks.

The only way you'll know for sure what happened is if you take the engine apart and do a failure analysis on it, otherwise it'll mostly be best guess scenario. If you are not trained to do that you'd need someone who is. Pinging could be something came loose in the top end and was bouncing around, or maybe it was ticking because the valve clearance was way out of spec? I'm going to guess maybe it dropped a valve causing a hydraulic lock and seizing the engine.

The only way you'll know for sure what happened is if you take the engine apart and do a failure analysis on it, otherwise it'll mostly be best guess scenario. If you are not trained to do that you'd need someone who is. Pinging could be something came loose in the top end and was bouncing around, or maybe it was ticking because the valve clearance was way out of spec? I'm going to guess maybe it dropped a valve causing a hydraulic lock and seizing the engine.

Dropping a valve would make hydro-locking impossible for that cylinder.

hahahaha...its a Hyoshit what did you expect??

I think that's like the 6th one to go on GTAM

I'd describe it as a high-pitched metallic "pinging", sounded like "ting-ting-ting" loud and fast, even at idle, either disappearing or being "disappeared" by other engine/wind noise at higher speeds/gears. The bike was performing "alright", a bit slower than usual, about a half gear or so behind it seemed sometimes. It seized while doing 110 down the highway, noticed the speed drop, then couldn't hear the engine at all when it slowed to about 80km/hr and I pulled over. When I first tried to re-start it, it would try to turn over then "thud", then just purely "thud", then groan and do nothing. It did start for about 1 second after a few attempts, but then quickly stalled, and no luck after that, including trying to bump start it.

If the engine is likely pooched then I may disassemble it myself (with my 25+ year automotive mechanic dad, who has little bike experience) just for the experience, but if it may be repairable then it'll probably go to Rosey Toes for an assessment at some point.

Thanks for the input, folks.

I'd describe it as a high-pitched metallic "pinging", sounded like "ting-ting-ting" loud and fast, even at idle, either disappearing or being "disappeared" by other engine/wind noise at higher speeds/gears. The bike was performing "alright", a bit slower than usual, about a half gear or so behind it seemed sometimes. It seized while doing 110 down the highway, noticed the speed drop, then couldn't hear the engine at all when it slowed to about 80km/hr and I pulled over. When I first tried to re-start it, it would try to turn over then "thud", then just purely "thud", then groan and do nothing. It did start for about 1 second after a few attempts, but then quickly stalled, and no luck after that, including trying to bump start it.

If the engine is likely pooched then I may disassemble it myself (with my 25+ year automotive mechanic dad, who has little bike experience) just for the experience, but if it may be repairable then it'll probably go to Rosey Toes for an assessment at some point.

Its not a question of if it CAN be repaired its more so is it WORTH it. Maybe swap in a suzuki SV650 engine? I believe its a near straight swap.

I don't think so it's a engine seized situation. Don't know enough about fueling and all that but changing the fuel type is no reason for the engine seized, until you haven't filled your tank with some banana shake or some glue:confused: So instead of guessing the things just towed it to the some mechanic shop. :confused:

Just realize that to properly "assess" the engine, Ted will have to begin tearign it apart, (unless he has developed x ray vision), so you have to figure in that cost.

Did you follow the recommendation I gave you and search engine failure on that bike here on the forums. There is another member who had a Hyo, that seems to have had a similar failure to what your describing it turned out the valves were bent to hell and there is also a report of a cracnkshaft snapping in half and bascially obliterating the engine insides.

People aren't trying to crap all over your decision to buy, just pointing out that this manufactuer has had signifcant engine issues. It was a low cost option when you bought it, and therefore, may not be worth repairing. The ONLY way your going to know for sure is by tearing it apart, you can't tell just from listening looking at the outside of the motor.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, my buddy's 2013 ZX636's starter motor clutch failed, sending bits into the motor, and causing a hell of a catastrophe.

The quote for the repair on it is $6000 roughly. We were calling him a fool for getting the extended warranty on a Japanese bike, but .. $113 bucks is what it is costing him. It should be out of the shop any day now.

That being said I would take others advice and switch to another bike now... even an old one that you can still do a lot of learning on.

My RS125 just died today. But it didn't seize. I just lost all compression. Must not have liked sitting at 8-11k (redline) for 3 hrs straight. Survived to Ottawa and back doing the same but I guess I lost my luck.

Is insurance really different than any other 250?
Should be about the same unless it's got really low accident stats simply because no one rides them.

SeaFoam! Should not be running your bike, in hot weather, with that in your fuel...
Is it not a strong solvent and cleaner?
So how is that going to help keep your piston rings lubricated with motor oil at high RPM?

SeaFoam! Should not be running your bike, in hot weather, with that in your fuel...
Is it not a strong solvent and cleaner?
So how is that going to help keep your piston rings lubricated with motor oil at high RPM?
I thought the same thing in my 2 stroke but was told Seafoam has no affect beyond stabilizing gas. Seems wrong to me, though, as I've seen independent videos looking into the cylinders and you can see it clean them off.

Back
Top Bottom