Engine seized while riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

Engine seized while riding

zaltec

So, was cruising up the 404 this afternoon on my Hyosung GV250 Aquila, when I noticed speed loss... 110, 105, 95, 90.. managed to pull over safely and walk the bike to a safe parking spot (40min ordeal in scorching sun + full gear).

1) Just had Starter Motor replaced, 45mins later I filled my tank (was on empty in the country by that point), station was out of premium gas so put 87 in it for the first time; manual says 87 is fine, 50/50 with actual Hyosung riders whether they have preignition issues with 87 octane, I thought i'd try it... 5mins later I had a "pinging" sound while going down the highway... persisted at idle and while running

2) Ran it with 87 octane for 30 mins until I got back to city, picked up a siphon, drained the tank and filled it with 91.. added some Sea Foam

3) 3 co-workers (none of them mechanics, but all riders) said it's just due to the fuel, and it would go away in 3 or so tanks of running... made it 1.5 tanks before engine seized

Bike will be towed tomorrow, either home or to a shop (hopefully it's still where I parked it); any idea's in the meantime?

Thanks.

So, was cruising up the 404 this afternoon on my Hyosung GV250 Aquila, when I noticed speed loss... 110, 105, 95, 90.. managed to pull over safely and walk the bike to a safe parking spot (40min ordeal in scorching sun + full gear).

1) Just had Starter Motor replaced, 45mins later I filled my tank (was on empty in the country by that point), station was out of premium gas so put 87 in it for the first time; manual says 87 is fine, 50/50 with actual Hyosung riders whether they have preignition issues with 87 octane, I thought i'd try it... 5mins later I had a "pinging" sound while going down the highway... persisted at idle and while running

2) Ran it with 87 octane for 30 mins until I got back to city, picked up a siphon, drained the tank and filled it with 91.. added some Sea Foam

3) 3 co-workers (none of them mechanics, but all riders) said it's just due to the fuel, and it would go away in 3 or so tanks of running... made it 1.5 tanks before engine seized

Bike will be towed tomorrow, either home or to a shop (hopefully it's still where I parked it); any idea's in the meantime?

Thanks.

RIP in peace- the bike

There is no way your GV250 cares about what grade of fuel you put in it, unless you filled up with E85 or something.

As I'm sure you're aware GT250 and GV250 motors have a very high mortality rate. There are a variety of things that could be wrong with it... if you're handy you might consider looking in & under the cylinder heads

Yeah, I'm not that handy (yet)... been a good bike to learn on so far, both riding and mechanical work. Mostly just curious what the issue might've been, and what may have caused it.

Um, you're concerned about the fuel: Did you check the oil?

Those engines are notorious for top-end issues - particularly broken camshafts. Unless it's under warranty, it's probably not worth repairing. Get a different bike.

Hyosung strikes again.

That tick tick tick you're hearing isn't pinging, it's your engine exploding.

Yeah, I'm not that handy (yet)... been a good bike to learn on so far, both riding and mechanical work. Mostly just curious what the issue might've been, and what may have caused it.

Use the search feature here or google the model with engine issues. There will be lots of documentation on the engines problems with those bikes. Unfortunately as others have posted unless it is under warranty, time to start researching for your next bike.

Not worth rebuilding that motor, something else will let go. Then your brakes will let go then suspension....

For what I paid for it in comparison to other bikes, and the amount it saved me on insurance, I could buy two (or three) Hyosung's. Yeah, they *both* might die after awhile, but the odds of that are at least slim. I was looking for an inexpensive, low insurance bike that was comfortable for a beginner and I could learn to do maintenance and some repairs on, which it is well suited for.

Regardless, I wasn't looking for opinions (unless a free bike is coming with it! Then I'll gladly take them), I was curious what may have possibly caused it, and what the possible issue could be. Y'know, so I can actually learn from this, so I have more knowledge when I move on to a different bike.

I had literally just picked the bike up from Rosey Toe's when the pinging started, and I'd asked them to give it a once-over; I saw the mechanic check the oil level along with some other things quickly. It'd been 2k since the last oil change, and I ordered a filter last weekend to change the oil when I got back from vacation next week. Got called in to work unexpectedly (I've been working from home during the PA Games), otherwise I wasn't planning on riding it before the change, since the pinging hadn't died down with a fresh tank of gas.

Would replacing the starter motor typically involve an oil loss? Would a pinging leading to seizure commonly indicate any internal parts breaking?

Thanks.

what was the exact sound (best you can describe) pinging, ticking, clicking are all different and may indicate different things. new starter should have anything to do with oil.

@Zaltec yeah, some people harp on Hyosungs, and you at least have a reasonably well thought out reason for the purchase. However, I think the point is that you are searching for a reason that this happened (to learn, as you stated), but thus may be the wrong bike for it. They are known to have engines blow up and seize. For no reason at all. I'm not judging your decision to purchase it, but in my humble not even close to amateur much less professional opinion, it was just bad luck/ timing of when it happened.

Back
Top Bottom