Feds & province spending $65M to fix QEW Dixie interchange | GTAMotorcycle.com

Feds & province spending $65M to fix QEW Dixie interchange

iFly55

[video=youtube;6v_yuWf1upE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v_yuWf1upE[/video]

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/65m-invested-in-qew-interchange-at-dixie-road-1.2478150

Kendra Mangione, CTVNews.ca Writer
Published Monday, July 20, 2015 2:13PM EDT

Two levels of government have teamed up to invest $65 million in improving a high-traffic interchange in Mississauga.

The provincial and federal governments announced Monday that they will each contribute $32.5 million towards the rehabilitation of the Queen Elizabeth Way at Dixie Road.

"It's a little bit clumsy in terms of the actual way traffic flows on and off of this highway," Ontario Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca said at a news conference next to the QEW on Monday.

"This was identified as a provincial priority under the (Provincial-Territorial Infrastructure Component) opportunity in our submissions that were made last December."

Del Duca said the project is expected to take a number of years, but said that all six lanes of traffic will be available to traffic during "regular business hours."

He said any necessary lane closures would take place during off-peak hours.
"Once completed this project will provide improved safety, better traffic flow and ease congestion," federal Transportation Minister Lisa Raitt said Monday.

"It's going to allow for reliable and faster commute times."

The area is one of the oldest sections of the QEW, dating back to the 1930s. The Dixie Road section was analyzed in a report by the MMM Group, a construction project management organization hired by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.

"We need to invest in strong public infrastructure today to promote economic growth," Del Duca said.

The MMM Group report recommended the following improvements:
  • Replacement of bridges (including the Dixie Road and Etobicoke Creek bridges)
  • Reconfiguration of the Dixie Road interchange
  • Realignment of service roads
  • New auxiliary lanes
  • Localized QEW widening to maintain 6 lanes of traffic during construction

That should move the bottleneck down to Cawthra. Then Hurontario and eventually they might notice the westbound 403 / QEW merge funnel.

I don't think $65M will cover the cost of all that work....think it's great they're doing something about it but I think that's on the light end of the estimate.

Man, they did so well with the Hurontario / 401 "upgrade"
I am starting to think the people that plan highways and road don't drive...

I am starting to think the people that plan highways and road don't drive...
They don't. They actually think people that drive are losers because they don't live and work in the downtown Toronto core. I mean Queen's Park is right there, it's the center of everything, what idiot doesn't want to hovel on it's steps?

That's going to create quite a mess!

2-3 years of brutal traffic in the area . With questionable benefit.

i wish they would fix that bottleneck where 401/427 meet by putting the collector lanes right through. what idiot thought that was a bright idea.

The type of idiot that doesn't use them. Sometimes it feels like these planners don't actually have cars or use these roads and just think that if it looks good on paper it must be right.

Back
Top Bottom