Pilot Road 4 on Super Sport | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pilot Road 4 on Super Sport

went thru 3 sets of PR4s on the Multistrada and was VERY happy with them, great traction in the rain, and pushed them pretty hard in PA and Tail of the Dragon, will need new tires on the Super Duke soon, and the PR4s are a very strong contender

I dont think i've ever gotten more than 7k out of them tho, mind you I dont like to wear my tires right down to nothing, so someone may have been able to push another 1000km or so out of them

Last edited:
went thru 3 sets of PR4s on the Multistrada and was VERY happy with them, great traction in the rain, and pushed them pretty hard in PA and Tail of the Dragon, will need new tires on the Super Duke soon, and the PR4s are a very strong contender

I dont think i've ever gotten more than 7k out of them tho, mind you I dont like to wear my tires right down to nothing, so someone may have been able to push another 1000km or so out of them

Average lifespan of the PR4s is supposed to be around 15,000-20,000km is it not?

I have a new set of the PR4's on my Street Triple. Was out for a bit and just about touching the tire edge on highway on ramps. Felt completely fine.
Can't wait to see how they are in the rain!...well, maybe I CAN wait but am not worried the next time it splashes down.

Average lifespan of the PR4s is supposed to be around 15,000-20,000km is it not?

I had at least 13,000 on my last set of Pilot Road 3's. Think it might have been closer to 15,000 but definitely past 13k. Although they're not the exact same tire, I'd imagine similar longevity.

Hypersport tires are a massive waste of money.

Modern sport touring tires with multi compound design will give you more than enough edge grip, better wet grip, and way more mileage than you'll see with a hypersport tire.

The PR4 is a good choice. The Dunlop Roadsmart, Pirelli Angel ST or whatever BStones latest sport touring tire is called are also good choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the way you think. What tire would you recommend in these sizes?

Front 110/70/17, Rear 150/60/17
Currently planning on Metzeler M7 RR for the next replacement on that one. Right now I'm running an Continental Sport Attack 2.

And

Front 100/90/19, Rear 120/90/18
Planning on Michelin Pilot Activ or Continental Classic Attack for this one. Places keep recommending Avon Roadrider or Pirelli Sport Demon though.

I have weird tire sizes that I can't get PR3 or PR4's on.

I'd say it depends what is your ride pattern .... I do a trip or two per year (or a track day or two if lucky), where the sides get hammered badly. Then come back to Ontario and slab it most of the time, so the center goes. Comes spring and it means a new tire .... so I do a set a year for my pattern and am happy with that. Because it's a new set in spring, I go for the cheaper Power 3. I'd just take no advantage of the PR3 or PR4 longevity.

Always an interesting topic (along with engine oil). This caught my curiosity big time. I used to be a Metzler guy with my zx11 but since I now have a zx10r, I replace the tires with Bridgestone's (stock tires) and felt I made a mistake. Bridgestone's don't last very long but they stick well enough, rode to Sudbury in pouring rain and they worked well. I'm considering a sport touring tire as I would like longer tire life. After much research I found the Pirelli Angel GT may be my best choice. They appear lighter than the competition and likely stick better as well. The tire life may not be as long but likely much longer than a Super sport tire. Looking at Michelin, way too much siping and prone to cupping. Metzler road tech 01 looks good but your going to pay for it and I'm not happy with all that tread goove (I avoid the rain if possible).

The new Dunlop RS3s are now out, supposed to have better wet grip than PR4s and as much if not more mileage than the old RSIIs.

I got an extra set for when i need em

Always an interesting topic (along with engine oil). This caught my curiosity big time. I used to be a Metzler guy with my zx11 but since I now have a zx10r, I replace the tires with Bridgestone's (stock tires) and felt I made a mistake. Bridgestone's don't last very long but they stick well enough, rode to Sudbury in pouring rain and they worked well. I'm considering a sport touring tire as I would like longer tire life. After much research I found the Pirelli Angel GT may be my best choice. They appear lighter than the competition and likely stick better as well. The tire life may not be as long but likely much longer than a Super sport tire. Looking at Michelin, way too much siping and prone to cupping. Metzler road tech 01 looks good but your going to pay for it and I'm not happy with all that tread goove (I avoid the rain if possible).

There is Bridgestones and there is Bridgestones. The largest tire manufacturer in the world makes some good tires too. Which one in particular did you have?

All front tires cup. I haven't experienced any excessive cupping on any of the Michelins I have used compared to other brands.

Way too much siping for what?

The new Dunlop RS3s are now out, supposed to have better wet grip than PR4s and as much if not more mileage than the old RSIIs.

I got an extra set for when i need em

RS2s came stock on my Super Duke........cant wait to switch them out, what is it you like about them so much?

Oem tires are different than those you buy off the shelf. Even though they might appear to be the same model

Oem tires are different than those you buy off the shelf. Even though they might appear to be the same model

They are not. Albeit, they may be specifically designed for a particular model of a motorcycle, in which case they will have a code listed after the name. For example Pilot Road 3a or 3b. (This is just a fictional example).
A motorcycle company signs a contract with the tire manufacturer to produce OEM tires but you can still buy those OEM tires personally.
The reason certain OEM tires make people unhappy is because the goal of the motorcycle company varies from that of the consumer at times. For instance, the company may be more interested in fuel economy and the consumer in handling.

in what way?
According to many testimonials & my personal experience, oem tires doesn't perform as well. If I were to buy a new bike the first mod would be new tires

I dunno, DemonPig. I honestly don't have any fact to back it up, but it would not surprise me that two large manufacturers get together to work out pricing and figure for an OE run they can change the compound or whatever to meet requirements of supply/cost, etc..

I can't imagine the Roadtec 01 to be better than the PR4 in outright WET grip. All the siping on the PR4 really works for WET roads. If you expect to ride through lots of rain, I'd go PR4. With that said - lol - The Roadtec 01, or many other good tires would suffice more than well enough in the rain. Just slow down. Should be doing that anyways.

As for mileage - I chuckle at the variances. I have a 2011 Fazer8 with 20,000kms on stock BT-016 tires. 6 years and still tread left. Yes, the back was squaring off and the front seemed to be wearing oddly, but tread was left. Not yet the wear bars. Nearly all highway commuter miles, and I don't consider myself a 'timid' rider. I just put on Battlax S21 tires and will be expecting much better mileage than what many often get from it based on my own experience noted above.

How can one person get 7,000 kms out of PR4s and another 15+? No idea. It ain't the tire. It's the bike, rider and roads travelled (and how travelled). So - as others have said, it is a lot like the Oil Debate... lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom