Pilot Road 4 on Super Sport | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pilot Road 4 on Super Sport

That's been the common urban myth for years - that there are different "grades" of tires for OE, replacement, certain distributors. Simply not true. It's most often propagated by dealers trying to get ahead of other dealers or by know-it-all mechanics who base their opinions on what they learned 40 years ago.
Quite often OE tires are simply not so good for reasons I stated earlier but if you're buying a certain model then that's what you're getting. There's no conspiracy behind this. No secret chemical compounds. Just not worth it.

Not the first time i've heard the " OEM tire conspiracy" argument, i've always questioned it and never been able to get a proper explanation other than "someone said..." once someone can offer some technical date or a side by side test report to back it up i than we can talk, i'm not trying to discredit Rockerguy but have you replaced the OEM tire with the same tire and got different results? or you just said "this OEM time sucks, i've changed it to my favourite tire and now it rides better"? because that doesn't prove much.

As far as getting different mileage from the same tire there are many variables, including bike weight, rider weight, tire pressure,suspension setting, loaded vs unloaded bike, torque and HP, all these factors combined with riding style will have HUGE effects on tire wear

How can one person get 7,000 kms out of PR4s and another 15+? No idea. It ain't the tire. It's the bike, rider and roads travelled (and how travelled). So - as others have said, it is a lot like the Oil Debate... lol

I find it very hard to believe someone is burning through a set of PR3/PR4's in 7000kms. Possible, but maybe they own a broken tire gauge or speedometer.

I find it very hard to believe someone is burning through a set of PR3/PR4's in 7000kms. Possible, but maybe they own a broken tire gauge or speedometer.

I averaged 7 - 8000km on them on a Multistrada

Edit : on the rear tire, the fronts lasted longer

Last edited:
That's been the common urban myth for years - that there are different "grades" of tires for OE, replacement, certain distributors. Simply not true. It's most often propagated by dealers trying to get ahead of other dealers or by know-it-all mechanics who base their opinions on what they learned 40 years ago.
Quite often OE tires are simply not so good for reasons I stated earlier but if you're buying a certain model then that's what you're getting. There's no conspiracy behind this. No secret chemical compounds. Just not worth it.

It's not really a myth though. For example some bikes used to come with Bridgestone bt-016 which had a OE tire and also bt-016 pro tire which was commonly bought as a replacement set. I can't remember the difference now but two different tires same name more or less.

I averaged 7 - 8000km on them on a Multistrada

Edit : on the rear tire, the fronts lasted longer
Holy smokes. Riding with at least a top box at my happy pace, I still get at least 13k from a PR4 rear and have hit 16k one time. I thought I was low when I heard of some getting well over 20k.

Holy smokes. Riding with at least a top box at my happy pace, I still get at least 13k from a PR4 rear and have hit 16k one time. I thought I was low when I heard of some getting well over 20k.

�� how?
i'll likely be putting a set on the Super Duke, curious to see what kind of mileage I can get on that bike, but if I get anywhere near that i'll be throwing a party to celebrate

There is Bridgestones and there is Bridgestones. The largest tire manufacturer in the world makes some good tires too. Which one in particular did you have?

All front tires cup. I haven't experienced any excessive cupping on any of the Michelins I have used compared to other brands.

Way too much siping for what?

My aplology for the tardy reply as I was riding a lot lately... I'm using Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S21. I avoid rain. Siping and excessive grooves equates to less rubber contact in the dry (in my mind). Also the more complex the grooves are may equate to potential cupping. Cupping is likely a suspension issue but complex tire groove configuration doesn't help. I currently have zero cupping with Bridgestones but looking for extended tire life.

Back
Top Bottom