Pilot Road 4 on Super Sport | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pilot Road 4 on Super Sport

EVANS

Need new tires on my 2010 ZX-6r. I'm curious how many SS riders have switched to Michelin's Pilot Road 4's over a "road-sport" tire like Bridgestone's BT-016 or Michelin's Pilot Power 3, especially for those weekend warriors like me who don't have a track day planned.

My 6r is a commuter during the week with spirited rides most weekends.

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm interested in the long life and wet traction of the sport-touring Pilot Road 4. But unsure what that means to the 'sport' characteristics of the tire on the street during spirited riding.

Last edited:
I have them on my F4i. They grip really well in the wet and are confidence inspiring. Tread life seems to be pretty good as well, and is holding up well to my commute to work. Can't speak to the "sport" characteristics of the tire since I've never tracked my bike before and I tend to go pretty easy (I have a conservative comfort level).

Hypersport tires are a massive waste of money.

Modern sport touring tires with multi compound design will give you more than enough edge grip, better wet grip, and way more mileage than you'll see with a hypersport tire.

The PR4 is a good choice. The Dunlop Roadsmart, Pirelli Angel ST or whatever BStones latest sport touring tire is called are also good choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ +1

I am using Pirelli Angel GT on my gsxr and enjoying the long tread life and more then adequate grip they provide.

I have the PR4's on my Hondo CB1000R and I love them. For what you want these would be an excellent choice. I have had no wet weather riding on mine but logged close to 8k in the rain on my PR3's and they were awesome so I'll assume the PR4's are as good if not better.

I'm on Angel GT's and enjoy getting 15K out of them, as opposed to 6 on a sport tire. Cold and wet traction is better, and dry and wet traction is more than enough for even stupid riding.

All comments are accurate... you will have more than enough grip.
Canadian riders need tires that warm up quickly, and work well in the cold and wet.
This specifically DOES NOT describe track-day tires, which will put you on your head late at night when everything is covered in a chilly dew.
Personally, I'm partial to Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact...
Or equivalent.

Last edited:
All the people I know that ride on Touring tires either Go with ROAD 3 / ROAD 4 or Angels.

Road 3 - people say get a bit better life vs. ROAD 4's.

I love michelins.

I'm on Angel GT's and enjoy getting 15K out of them, as opposed to 6 on a sport tire. Cold and wet traction is better, and dry and wet traction is more than enough for even stupid riding.
Same here, if you exceed Angels on roads your just doing stupid riding.

5500km on my Metzler m7's and still look new. Never had a slip from them.

I'll be the Devil's Advocate and say that this is the first season I switched from Michelins to another brand. The multi compound tires were wearing in a weird way for me. The rears wore normally to a point but the fronts looked like this \_/ due to the multi compound on them. That gave the bike some weird handling characteristics, especially across wide tar snakes for some reason. Before I go any further though I should say that I've had at least three sets of the various Michelin road touring tires and they behave differently on different bikes. My current bike is pretty heavy compared to what I had before and I did ride these Road 3 tires pretty far and got great use out of them.

I'm on a set of Continental Trail Attack IIs now and thus far I like them. Single compound but heat treated in different areas to give a good mix of wear and grip. They are also designed for heavier bikes and also a bit of off road stuff too (which I do every now and then).

Had the PR3 last season and flipped them after 16,000km. They were cooked. Excellent mileage for my bike. Went threw 3 sets of Bridgestone S20's the year before, max was 5,000 km but they were cooked at 4,000km. Put the PR4 GT's on this year and so far no complaints at almost 8,000 km. I was caught in a down pour in Pennsylvania this past weekend and they were awesome. I was easily taking the corners on the wet roads much faster than the posted limits and they gripped great. If the get 15,000km on this set with my bike and the way I ride I will be super happy. Keep the rubber side down!! Cheers

Plus almost no warmup time

I gave up on sport tires years ago due to the cost. Modern sport touring tires can handle anything you'll do on the street and last 3-4 times longer. The last 3 sets I've been using Metzeler Interact Z8 and have been very happy in the dry and wet. I've been able to scrub right to the edge of the tire on my '07 CBR 1000RR with confidence and they last ~ 14-15K per set. I'd estimate 90% straight, 10% fun. This Friday I'm switching to Michelin PR4's.

I've been riding my wife's bike (old CBR F2) with PR4's on them. The profile seems to be very stable in corners with a little extra effort required to straighten up.

Roadsmart II for me. Haven't exceeded their limits yet.

Are the Pilot Road 4. still considered the best street tires. need new tires for my 848evo. the Pirellis diablo supercorsa (came with the bike) were worse in the rain.never tracked and not planing to in the future.will they be a good fit for my bike .Thanks

Go for it

Back
Top Bottom