Restoring a rashed jacket, fixing hole in boots etc | GTAMotorcycle.com

Restoring a rashed jacket, fixing hole in boots etc

kiwi

Hi,
I was looking for any ideas on how I can tidy up my leather jacket after it has taken a slide. Its black and now the rashed areas are bluish. Is there a polish or something I can easily get to restore it somewhat?

Also, I have a hole in one boot from where the foot peg came through. Any ideas on how to fix this? I was kinda thiking about a bicycle tube patch ;-)

See below:

20150716_164157.jpg

I'd take the jacket to a leather guy. Bickle, or Jen at IM Leathers (if she's still around.)
You have one of those shoe repair guys in a mall near you? They'd fix your boot up.

If it's just colour you're concerned with....shoe polish.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too. Funny enough I have a lot of "Kiwi" branded shoe polish

...I have a hole in one boot from where the foot peg came through. Any ideas on how to fix this? I was kinda thinking about a bicycle tube patch ;-) ...

The boot has more than a couple of stitches rashed open. Some of the leather has been abraded away. Ideally these stitches should be restitched, following the contour of the abraded leather. Is there enough underlying leather to stitch it together? These stitches, like most machine stitches, will come undone in time on either side of the cut. Both lines are also double stitched. You could try dropping some CA/Crazy glue into the holes to lock in the last stitches. I'm not even sure how you'd get a sewing machine down to that deep boot area. Worst case, hand stitch it.

What you put over top, after you repair the stitching, is more cosmetic. A black leather patch will wear better, but a rubber bicycle tube glued with contact cement might be Ok, but won't last.

Please post your jacket..

The shoe polish will work on the jacket but it will probably take several coatings.Take the boot to a shoe repair and ask for advice. If he want too much, the patch option is still there.

Cross-linking from Kiwi's other thread Oh Deer.. I went down... I cannot seem to upload the photo of his jacket.

I've not redyed leather before, but I have dyed leather. You first need to deglaze the protective wax coating. You can use leather deglazer or acetone. Next you can use leather dye. Finally reapply a leather conditioner. The trick is to try to match the original colour, and this could be tricky.

Back
Top Bottom