Alternate route to Ottawa | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alternate route to Ottawa

statsman

I took this route to Ottawa the other week at the suggestion of a friend.
It was great advise.From the 401 at Kingston, take the exit for DIVISION ST. / PERTH RD.
Go north from the exit.
Perth Rd. is one of the oldest roads in this part of the province so it follows the path of least resistance.
A great twisting winding road.

Last edited:
From Westport, continue north on Perth Rd.
Just inside the town of Perth take County Rd. 1 east to Lombardy via Rideau Ferry (this road is not on this map).
Similar type of road.
From Lombardy north to Smiths Falls.
From Smiths Falls your choice of routes to Ottawa.

Last edited:
From Westport the better option if you have time is to eventually get to Bollingbrooke Rd which will take you to Highway 7. Bollingbrooke is pretty nice. At Highway 7 a small detour will take you to the 509 for some fun too.

I generally go up once or twice each summer. I have family there.
For years I took Hwy. 15 from Kingston. I thought it was a good winding road.
I will probably be heading back in September, so I will give your route a try.

Go up 115 and get off at 9. Go on south side of rice lake toward rosneath area. Hwy 7 trip to Ottawa always good.

Sorry Arkay, I have been caught behind trucks and slow moving cars far too often on Hwy 7.
And lets not forget the string of 15 or 20 cars stuck behind the guy who refuses to drive faster than 60 km with nowhere to pass.
I prefer a road less travelled.

Last edited:
Forgot to update -- Went to Ottawa for 2-3 days at the start of July. Took 401 to the 62 (around Trenton) so I could eat at the OnRoute, and then took 62 to Madoc, then the 7 all the way across until the 417. Overall it wasn't a bad route (not really twisty but scenic and not completely straight), minimal traffic except for the 401 bits. The biggest issue was trying to keep the speed down actually -- I didn't see a single speedtrap, however even at a decent clip I was having cars wanting to do 20-40km/h faster than me a number of times.

Also in case anyone is wondering, there were lots of gas stops right off the 7, so no real fuel range issues. If you plan it out and can do 150-200km, you can also mainly stick to Ultramar if you fancy. I gassed up at the Ultramar in Madoc and topped up again at the Ultramar in Perth.

Next time try this: .....Bancroft.......Denbigh, Griffith, Calabogie, Hopetown, Almonte, Kanata - grin :D

I haven't been to Ashton in years.
There used to be a gas bar on Hwy 7 near Ashton that still sold gas in gallons.

I've done this trip a bunch of times, here are my favorite routes:

From Peterborough, take hwy 28 north to bancroft then east to denbigh. From there you have 2 options:

1) Take 41 south to Buckshot Lake Rd, take that to hwy 509, take 509 east to Levant Rd (also known as rd 16), and then take that east pretty much right into Ottawa.
or 2) From denbigh take 41 northeast to 71, take 71 south which turns into 65 also called Centennial lake Rd, this is one of the best roads in Ontario (look it up on google street view). 65 will take you to hwy 508 which will take you through Calabogie to hwy 511, take 511 south to Road 9 then to Rd 16 which goes right into Ottawa.

Back
Top Bottom