4 bikes in a 6x12 enclosed Uhaul trailer | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

4 bikes in a 6x12 enclosed Uhaul trailer

2014 Ford Explorer sport. Not sure how this pertains to my problem though.

Going back to frekeyguy's suggestion, even if it were possible to fit the 4 bikes in that particular layout I would assume strapping them down would be a nightmare in a Uhaul trailer. The 6x12 we rented had 6 tie down hooking points, 3 on each side.

Probably concerned with towing capacity.

I'm agree, tying them down would be tricky.

I'd see if you can split up the load. 4 peeps, bikes and gear, that Explorer would be packed to the tits.

Is that the Explorer with the pickup bed? I know its small but I imagine you could haul one bike diagonally in the back of it with the gate down. I just though knowing what you were towing with would give people other options to suggest since it doesn't sound like your going to get 4 bikes in an enclosed 6x12. Also my guess is its not going to be fun to tow any distance anyway with 4 guys and 4 bikes in it. If its not the Explorer with the small bed, my other suggestion would be beg/borrow a pickup truck. I think you can even rent them from the rental car companies not uhaul which charges mileage.

This Explorer. It can haul 5000 lbs so 4 bikes is cake.
ford-explorer-sport-49_1600x0w.jpg

We won't be hauling passengers in the suv. The other's will drive their own cars.

But I guess there really is no other option than getting another truck and rent another trailer.

From what I recall U-Hauls don't always have anywhere to tie-down / strap to.
Also probably only way to get most sport bikes (600cc +) to fix sideways with on 6 feet of width is to air down front a rear tires because probably won't fit otherwise.
If you can find a pick-up and put one in the back of that, you might be able to squeeze 3 in the 6x12.

Sport bikes are more than 6' long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Caboose mentioned, sportbikes are quite a bit over 6 ft long. A 2009 GSXR 750 for example is 6'8" from front most portion of front tire to rear most portion of rear tire

2014 Ford Explorer sport. Not sure how this pertains to my problem though.

Going back to frekeyguy's suggestion, even if it were possible to fit the 4 bikes in that particular layout I would assume strapping them down would be a nightmare in a Uhaul trailer. The 6x12 we rented had 6 tie down hooking points, 3 on each side.

1. Do you have access to these 4 bikes and trailer ?
2. Just try it out !!

What bikes are they? are they 600's and 750's? anything smaller ? Like is there a 250?

I've fit a Busa + Old ZX7 + '97 EX250 into my 6x12, and had room up front by the V-FRONT & in the back. for parts and tools etc.

This is my 6x10 with a v-nose...
11223548_1009682519076582_1799694822280679072_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/motomechto

So that is a 999S and a ZX7 with room against the walls to spare.....there is a ton of room up front in the V as well. If these two bikes got moved up front and strapped down against the walls against foam mats, a 3rd bike can go in the middle with its tail in the middle, and the 4th by the door on its side stand. If a bike is 6.5" straight, it would be about 6" with the handle bars in its locked position.

Have I fit 4 bikes into my 6X10 - No, but it might be possible.

Concerns: 6x12" V-Nose with a steel frame would weight about 1600-1800lbs empty with a ramp door. Add 4 bikes = 2000-2500lbs - that will be 4000-4500lbs.

1. Is this trailer single axle or double axle?
2. does the trailer have brakes on the axle ?
3. Do you have a transmission cooler?
4. Do you have air bags out back on the truck to help with the load?
5. The explore comes with a 3.5V-6 - + independent rear.
6. 4500LB TRAILER being Towed with a 5000LB truck = scary for me.

Last edited:
Squeezing 3 in the 6x12 was no problem. We did it last week and still had plenty of room for other stuff.

1. Do you have access to these 4 bikes and trailer ?
2. Just try it out !!

What bikes are they? are they 600's and 750's? anything smaller ? Like is there a 250?

I've fit a Busa + Old ZX7 + '97 EX250 into my 6x12, and had room up front by the V-FRONT for parts and tools etc.

This is my 6x10 with a v-nose...

https://www.facebook.com/motomechto

So that is a 999S and a ZX7 with room against the walls to spare.....there is a ton of room up front in the V as well. If these two bikes got moved up front and strapped down against the walls against foam mats, a 3rd bike can go by the door on its side stand. If a bike is 6.5" straight, it would be about 6" with the handle bars in its locked position.

Have I fit 4 bikes into my 6X10 - No, but it might be possible.

Nope. I won't have access to the trailer until we actually rent it from Uhaul.

The 4 bikes are:

2007 Daytona 675
2008 CBR 1000
2011 S1000RR
2014 CBR 500R

Squeezing 3 in the 6x12 was no problem. We did it last week and still had plenty of room for other stuff.

How did it tow with the explorer ?

updated post above with concerns...

Nope. I won't have access to the trailer until we actually rent it from Uhaul.

The 4 bikes are:

2007 Daytona 675
2008 CBR 1000
2011 S1000RR
2014 CBR 500R

You can prob stick the 2014 CBR 500R by the rear on its side stand and save room. You prob have to pick up the bike by its wheels and load it in.

How did it tow with the explorer ?

updated post above with concerns...

You can prob stick the 2014 CBR 500R by the rear on its side stand and save room. You prob have to pick up the bike by its wheels and load it in.

We didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when towing the 3 bikes. We towed it from Hastings to Shannonville so about an hour drive, and all seemed ok.

This is the trailer: http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/6x12-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/RV

Regarding the truck, I think it comes with the Trailer Towing package which contains an Engine Oil cooler.

We didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when towing the 3 bikes. We towed it from Hastings to Shannonville so about an hour drive, and all seemed ok.

This is the trailer: http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/6x12-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/RV

Regarding the truck, I think it comes with the Trailer Towing package which contains an Engine Oil cooler.

dual axle, so it will be stable, and it will have brakes on one axle.

1. In this picture none of the bikes are overhanging the trailer....so if you setup your bikes like that, it should all fit into a 6x12. But does that uhaul have good places to strap them down ?
626529365_bLGmB-L.jpg

2. This looks wider than a 6"...but this is the idea...
5105_20100713091431_L.jpg

3. I have a 6" wide enclosed. if you want to swing by - we can see if we can fit a bike side ways..

Thanks for the offer, Frekeyguy! I'll try and convince the others to bring along their bikes as well! :)

As for the tie down hooking points on the Uhaul, well I'm not the best of judge as i'm relatively new to it all. That said, they had 6 hooking points (3 on each side) in the trailer and it was pretty all over the place with the 3 bikes inside. One bike had a chock, one bike had a Highroller bar harness and one with a simple version of the bar harness.

Thanks for the offer, Frekeyguy! I'll try and convince the others to bring along their bikes as well! :)

As for the tie down hooking points on the Uhaul, well I'm not the best of judge as i'm relatively new to it all. That said, they had 6 hooking points (3 on each side) in the trailer and it was pretty all over the place with the 3 bikes inside. One bike had a chock, one bike had a Highroller bar harness and one with a simple version of the bar harness.

Where are the bikes going ? are you doing a track day ?

Here is the other option..but pricy ....
12.jpg

Yep. Doing a track day. Next one is at CTMP so not THAT far compared to SMP.

Damn, that trailer is pricey for one day.

Back
Top Bottom