Dear moron riding the blue R6 in HOV lane this morning! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dear moron riding the blue R6 in HOV lane this morning!

ashkan

Banned
Riding to work this morning, going east bound on the Gardiner (right passed the park lawn), i encountered yet another idiot on 2s who probably wont last long!

Chain of cars in HOV but moving nicely at around 90kms. Im about 2 car length from the car in front of me. Other lanes are moving very slow at around 20-30kms. I spot a blue R6 (white helmet with red stripes) in my mirror and the guy is in my tire track behind me instead of moving over. I go even more to my right to indicate he should ride staggered but nothing Instead he decides to pass me in my own lane and im thinking, where are you gonna go? Its all cars in front of you. But of course the idiot decides to lane split between the cars in HOV and cars in the slow moving regular lane with very little space and no room for error.

Goes without saying that riding in HOV is not the safest since youre moving much faster than the lanes to your right and people cut in an out but this moron thinks he is superman and is lane splitting at high speeds between the two lanes.

If youre reading this, stop acting like a child, grow up and be more responsible for your own sake and others!

Last edited:
By moving over to the right and opening up more of the lane to him, he might've thought 'awesome this guy is letting me pass'.

I saw similar behaviour from an SS rider yesterday on the QEW. I suspect these to be same kind of riders who, when they eventually get into an accident and/or charged by police for their behaviour, come onto GTAM to rant about how poor car drivers are and how all cops are a holes.

By moving over to the right and opening up more of the lane to him, he might've thought 'awesome this guy is letting me pass'.

Anytime theres a bike behind me, i exaggerate my lane position (a nit more) tomake it obvious that im in my tire track and you should be in yours. Figured if hes on a bike he knows how to ride behind another bike but i guess i give people too much credit lol Because even noobs know that you should never pass another bike in the same lane.

He is such and idiot and gave the poor driver in front of us such a scare when he passed in between him and the car in the other lane. The cab moved over so far passed the yellow line as to not hit him. His car was half on the shoulder as the bike zipped by,

Idiots like these give us all a bad name

I saw similar behaviour from an SS rider yesterday on the QEW. I suspect these to be same kind of riders who, when they eventually get into an accident and/or charged by police for their behaviour, come onto GTAM to rant about how poor car drivers are and how all cops are a holes.

+1^. While there are many bad drivers who never look and cause all kinds of dangerous situations, there are just as many idiot riders who feel invincible on a bike. Until its too late

Anytime theres a bike behind me, i exaggerate my lane position (a nit more) tomake it obvious that im in my tire track and you should be in yours. Figured if hes on a bike he knows how to ride behind another bike but i guess i give people too much credit lol Because even noobs know that you should never pass another bike in the same lane.

He is such and idiot and gave the poor driver in front of us such a scare when he passed in between him and the car in the other lane. The cab moved over so far passed the yellow line as to not hit him. His car was half on the shoulder as the bike zipped by,

Idiots like these give us all a bad name

Unfortunately there are a LOT of riders who never learn the staggered position of riding. Not sure why, maybe they just took the M1, then did the test at the Ministry and got their licence etc. Can't remember if staggered riding is covered in the handbook or not.

Unfortunately there are a LOT of riders who never learn the staggered position of riding. Not sure why, maybe they just took the M1, then did the test at the Ministry and got their licence etc. Can't remember if staggered riding is covered in the handbook or not.

Sadly, it is covered in the M1 test. I remember reading it in th ehandbook when i did mine. It went into details too like when on an onramp/off ramp, you should not be staggered and...

Its also less than reassuring when you hope bikes around you know what they should do and all of a sudden a moron like this comes along and makes you think you cant trust anyone else to know what theyre doing.

It takes one moron to put both of you in pain for their idiocy

Might have something to do with the huge number of bike cops this summer, and how each pair like to ride so close as to hold hands.

I know it's been discussed in another thread, but I firmly believe it is a terrible practice and promotes bad behaviour in civilian riders. As you've said, most people just don't know well enough, and are likely to emulate police behaviour because they are the authority.

By the end of the summer you'll see every pair of riders side-by-side, because it's what the cool kids do.

Might have something to do with the huge number of bike cops this summer, and how each pair like to ride so close as to hold hands.

I know it's been discussed in another thread, but I firmly believe it is a terrible practice and promotes bad behaviour in civilian riders. As you've said, most people just don't know well enough, and are likely to emulate police behaviour because they are the authority.

By the end of the summer you'll see every pair of riders side-by-side, because it's what the cool kids do.

I see them downtown riding like that all the time. Isnt that illegal? I was under the impression that gangs ride like that. Guess the police corp is a gang of its own!

I see them downtown riding like that all the time. Isnt that illegal? I was under the impression that gangs ride like that. Guess the police corp is a gang of its own!

This has been covered to death. It's not explicitly illegal.
As for riders being in the proper tire track, I've seen posts about this in the past too. The staggered formation is for bikes travelling together, as far as I'm concerned. When I'm riding along in the position I've chosen, I don't appreciate someone tucking up close behind me just because they can be in the other tire track. I don't know them, I didn't choose to ride with them, I have no idea how they're going to react if I need to use that side of the lane. I would rather they stay back an appropriate (could wish for 2 seconds) distance and they can choose whatever lane position they want. But then, I'm not all that sociable and I don't generally like riding in groups.

This has been covered to death. It's not explicitly illegal.
As for riders being in the proper tire track, I've seen posts about this in the past too. The staggered formation is for bikes travelling together, as far as I'm concerned. When I'm riding along in the position I've chosen, I don't appreciate someone tucking up close behind me just because they can be in the other tire track. I don't know them, I didn't choose to ride with them, I have no idea how they're going to react if I need to use that side of the lane. I would rather they stay back an appropriate (could wish for 2 seconds) distance and they can choose whatever lane position they want. But then, I'm not all that sociable and I don't generally like riding in groups.

Im with you. Specially when i dont know someone, id rather there be enough room for mistakes which is why i HATE when a rider passes me in my own lane. Thats a big no no. Also, the point of staggered is that if for any reason (like a dead raccoon) one bike needs to manouver, theres enough room. When people ride side by side, it take aways room for manouvering around in such situations.

To the OP..you're lucky. Around 830-840 this morning, Gardiner express was closed where the collectors opened up. It was pretty $hitty. But then once back on the gardiner, the HOV could safely be ridden at 120 (following traffic) until the other lanes slowed down...
At which point i become paranoid at the idea that someone will cut me off.

But i saw i think 4 pairs of OPP officers in the opposite direction, patrolling the HOV...for SOME reason, a bunch a cars ahead of me merged back in the regular traffic... wonder why :dontknow::rolleyes:

This is got to be the 5th thread about the same crap - What is wrong with riders these days, bunch of whiners.

I guess some lack attention from their mommy and need to be circle jerked by others in a forum.

Last edited:
To the OP..you're lucky. Around 830-840 this morning, Gardiner express was closed where the collectors opened up. It was pretty $hitty. But then once back on the gardiner, the HOV could safely be ridden at 120 (following traffic) until the other lanes slowed down...
At which point i become paranoid at the idea that someone will cut me off.

But i saw i think 4 pairs of OPP officers in the opposite direction, patrolling the HOV...for SOME reason, a bunch a cars ahead of me merged back in the regular traffic... wonder why :dontknow::rolleyes:

Thats when i usually am on the Gardiner actually. Today i had to get to the office much earlier so i was on Gardiner around 6:30.

Im also the same, when HOV is open and the other lanes are moving slow, i always take extra caution because like you said, you never know whos gonna get tired of sitting in traffic and pull in from a dead stop in front of you as youre doing 120. In this situation, i actually ride behind a car as they are much easier to see in side view mirrors of cars trying to merge in

This is got to be the 5th thread about the same crap - What is wrong with riders these days, bunch of whiners.

I guess some lack attention from their mommy and need to be circle jerked by others in a forum.

Guess that makes you one of those who pass people in their own lane and lane split then? Good to know

I think this is an example of when you should NOT be in the blocking position. If you're riding in the HOV lane at highway speeds and the lane to your right is stopped or very slow, you should be in the left tire track so that you can swerve onto the shoulder if someone cuts into your lane.

I think this is an example of when you should NOT be in the blocking position. If you're riding in the HOV lane at highway speeds and the lane to your right is stopped or very slow, you should be in the left tire track so that you can swerve onto the shoulder if someone cuts into your lane.

I agree and disagree. I think maybe being in the extreme right is not a good idea and it will levae you very little room to react. That said, being in the left tire track will give cars the impression that there is space to pull in. No safe IMO.
But yeah, in HOV, i usually stay closer to the centre that i would in a normal lane

I agree and disagree. I think maybe being in the extreme right is not a good idea and it will levae you very little room to react. That said, being in the left tire track will give cars the impression that there is space to pull in. No safe IMO.
But yeah, in HOV, i usually stay closer to the centre that i would in a normal lane

Personally if I was in the HOV lane I would keep to the left of the lane simply because if a car driver won't see you in the lane, they won't see you if you're in the tire track anyway. You're a small target, moving at a quick clip, being (possibly) seen on a side view mirror....Left tire track / side of lane will at least give you enough room to pass them on the left if you don't have the time to stop/slow down to let the idiot into the lane.

hehe i talked to a cop the other day while we were waiting at a left turning light (carlaw/lakeshore @ end of Gardiner) and he said that normally he's in blocking position but when patrolling by himself now, he just uses the left tire track.

And yeah while it leaves space... the chances of the car seeing you are already slim, so by being in the left, closer to shoulder, not as big of an adjustment in your direction when going at "high speeds (80-100)". So i not only ride in back of a car but i also ride in the left tire track which...doesn't make in general but in this situation the car does all the blocking for me lol

hehe i talked to a cop the other day while we were waiting at a left turning light (carlaw/lakeshore @ end of Gardiner) and he said that normally he's in blocking position but when patrolling by himself now, he just uses the left tire track.

And yeah while it leaves space... the chances of the car seeing you are already slim, so by being in the left, closer to shoulder, not as big of an adjustment in your direction when going at "high speeds (80-100)". So i not only ride in back of a car but i also ride in the left tire track which...doesn't make in general but in this situation the car does all the blocking for me lol

I remember reading in this forum way back that sometimes it's best to use the cars as your own personal blockers while riding through intersections, etc. I think it's a great idea to use the car as the blocker for you. Keep within a second or two to the back of one, and you'll have plenty of time and cars won't jump in as quick (IMO).

Back
Top Bottom