Is this a Ducati year...?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this a Ducati year...??

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Seeing a lot of shiny new red Ducati's at the Forks the last few days including a his and hers pair plus teen daughter behind dad.

Not sure of the models, love the colour and most are civilized from a sound standpoint. Upright seating too.
Never been in my conciousness as seemed all sport oriented but the ones I've seen .....hmmmm.

Any truth to the "needs a lot of maintenance" rumours. :confused:

Maybe this??

img_c1EZ9FH3o4_r.jpg

850 Hyperstrata

Death has some great non sport bikes. I like the scrambler, looks like a fun around town bike
ad3dda9f4cf061759b1842cf097585c0_zpsnenkekcg.jpg

and love the multistrada.

bb9083e86371b2d326a180647fd2a0e0_zps5pirlouf.jpg

if the multistrada had a shaft drive it would have been a serious contender when Impurchasd mew new GSA. No idea about their maintenance, but would not think it was anything to terrible.

Any truth to the "needs a lot of maintenance" rumours. :confused:
Just download the owners manual for whichever Ducati model you're considering and look at the maintenance table. If it's not one of their street legal race bikes then I'm sure the maintenance is reasonable :)

I think the Scrambler is pulling in the big bucks for Ducati. It's the replacement Monster, since Monsters are Diavel-lites now. Have a customer who bought a Scrambler recently. Looks and sounds good, like a motorcycle should. Those belt covers obscure the engine a bit though.

I have a 2011 Multistrada and the only time it's been in the shop was for the 24,000 KM valve check and belt change. It was about an $800 bill. It costs no more to maintain than any Japanese bike I've owned.

Mine has 30,000kms on it and other then $500 for belts and valve adjustment, no issues.

Monster here. For the first 20000km she was dead reliable, then I had a tensioner pulley fail which blew bearings all inside my belt covers. All the Ducati mechanics I talked to never seen that happen before lol. I was the lucky one I guess. Other than that it's been good.

Ducati is making serious efforts at reliability since Audi bought them. They knew when the bought the company that reliability and after-sales support was the only thing holding sales back.
Shaft driven bikes are making less sense as chains are lasting longer than typical shaft drives these days.

Another option in that range is Triumph Tiger Triples. Triumph has been doing record sales in Canada. The XR is around 12K.

2012 Monster here. The only issues ive had were self-made. Maintenance isn't nearly as harmful to the wallet as it used to be apparently.

Ducati Sport 1000 or GT1000 tick all the boxes for me. Just don't make them any more. My preference isn't relevant anyways. Lol

Ducati Sport 1000 or GT1000 tick all the boxes for me. Just don't make them any more. My preference isn't relevant anyways. Lol

Those bikes were ahead of their time. They didn't sell well, and then the retro trend hit, now Triumph is selling a ton of their retro bikes.
They had a class action suit over the melting plastic gas tanks from ethanol fuel (a few European manufacturers had the same problem with E10 gas).
Ducati finally offered one replacement tank, but ordered owners not to use E10. But that too a few years of anger to resolve.
I don't think would happen today, everyone is fast to call a recall to avoid a suit.

Worked out well for owners, and those classicos are now rare and hold value, especially the Paul smart replica.

People say the same thing about modern ferraris. Rumors ...

There's only a picture one burning every week.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/ferrari-458-italia-recalled-because-fires

...and Ferrari got in big $3.5M trouble for "forgetting" to report major safety issues to the NTHSA.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/2014/NHTSA+Fines+Ferrari+$3.5+Million+for+Failing+to+Submit+Early+Warning+Reports

Marchionne (who grew up in Toronto) cleaned house and fired all the top Ferrari execs.

Rumors.

Monster here. For the first 20000km she was dead reliable, then I had a tensioner pulley fail which blew bearings all inside my belt covers. All the Ducati mechanics I talked to never seen that happen before lol. I was the lucky one I guess. Other than that it's been good.

That's funny, I had my belt tensioner bearings start to show they were on their way out around that time, think it was about 22k km. Mechanics at GP Bikes said that's about typical. It was pretty obvious to me they were a problem because a very unusual noise started to originate on the right side of the bike. Got them replaced before they blew up and caused a real problem.

I've had Ducatis since before they were cool, reliability is 100% better. On older bikes all known issues can be resolved but it is spendy to keep the older ones going.

There's only a picture one burning every week.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/ferrari-458-italia-recalled-because-fires

...and Ferrari got in big $3.5M trouble for "forgetting" to report major safety issues to the NTHSA.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/2014/NHTSA+Fines+Ferrari+$3.5+Million+for+Failing+to+Submit+Early+Warning+Reports

Marchionne (who grew up in Toronto) cleaned house and fired all the top Ferrari execs.

Rumors.

Which marque has not suffered from recalls? Fire is not a maintenance issue but an engineering. This is going off topic.

I think the Scrambler is pulling in the big bucks for Ducati. It's the replacement Monster, since Monsters are Diavel-lites now. Have a customer who bought a Scrambler recently. Looks and sounds good, like a motorcycle should. Those belt covers obscure the engine a bit though.

Have not seen one on the road yet .

Back
Top Bottom