Tail of the Dragon versus The Gillies | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tail of the Dragon versus The Gillies

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Just watched a cruise through Tail of the Dragon on youtube. Kid wants to go down so was curious.
It was damp so rider not moving fast but seemed to me The Gillies in Australia might be the tougher ride

200 turns …19 km

[video=youtube;I1x5QPCUkls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1x5QPCUkls[/video]

Those who have ridden the Dragon at pace...interested in your comments..

The second video that follows on is a bit clearer.

It was fun but tiring on the ST1100 as the turns are so continuous in some areas. It's a bout 30 km from home in Aus and leads into a 200-300km loop

Just curious as to comparison. Guy on the first video had that front wheel up a few times

Last edited:
Looks like a very rough road.

It's not ...there were some nasty tar snakes but they are all gone.
The turns are nicely designed - there are just so many linked it gets hard to set up.
I suspect the vibration was from how he had the camera mounted.

They've been working on it the last two years - some new guard rails to as it's quote a climb..some still managed to go over the edge and not get found for a few days ....dead of course.

It seems there are many more linked turns than the Dragon but the speeds were different to.
The Gillies reminds me of the best section of 144 north of Renovo - you turn and go over the bridge ( coming south bound ) and then there is a beautiful set of twists with elevation changes.
Really enjoy that stretch as pavement is perfect.

144 South of Renovo going over the mountain is nicely paved now as well and thats fun.
But I've not been on anything with as continous twists as The Gillies so was curious against the Dragon.

Back
Top Bottom