Searching for my first bike, Can't decide | GTAMotorcycle.com

Searching for my first bike, Can't decide

Which Bike should be the top contender

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adrisen

Hi everyone.

I am in search for my first bike. I have searched the lots and been online ad I am stumped. I originally looked at a Honda Grom. I liked it for size for parking realistically but finally decided it really is too small. So my actual choices now are.

1) Honda CB300F
2) Yamaha R3
3) Suzuki GX250

I was looking for more of a standard ride although the Yamaha is not. The Honda I actually have to lower, I found I was too short.

I learned to ride on a Sym and a Honda 250. I did not like the Honda 250 perhaps it was big, I was comfortable on the sym, Just not what I want.

I have inquired about on insurance on the Honda and it is quite reasonable but I have no Idea on the R3 or GX 250.

Any suggestions?

[video=youtube;oHDJGZ0yJSY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHDJGZ0yJSY[/video]

I vote for the R3. :D

Expand your search. You are limiting yourself to too few bikes.

How about the Kawi Ninja 250/300? There are lots of them around. Honda Rebel 250? Suzuki TU250x (too much demand for these)? The Suzuki Boulevard S40 is a 650 but it is a single cylinder, low powered, low center of gravity, easy to ride, reliable and there are a lot of them around.

The general rule for a beginner bike is: <50hp, <500cc, <400lb. Consider any bike under 500ccs.

As for the bike being too tall, you will eventually learn to handle the taller bike. If you can get the balls of your foot down on both sides then you'll be Ok. If you are looking for a sport bike style, they will be taller because of better cornering clearance. As a beginner rider this is not very important for you, as any bike will have adequate cornering clearance. Cruisers will have a lower seat height and more standard seating. This is your first bike, not your last. Buy one to learn on only, then sell it and get whatever bike you want. All the name brand bikes are very reliable.

@TorontoBoy, op is 5'2", I think she would have trouble with the height of those bikes. I can relate with my damn short legs.
OP, how about a used cbr125? Or any of the options TorontoBoy suggested. Also, you should get them to quote you for all 3 bikes, it only takes them a minute to change the vehicle for the quote.

I looked at a few cruisers and found I had difficulty balancing due to the rider position even while moving. I did look at a ninja and found it flighty to forward. I do want to be able to balance with at least not foot slightly on the ground for my comfort. I could barely do that with the Honda. And the R3 I could tippy toe it. Sounds silly

I vote honda out of the poll choices. Friends wife picked up the cbr300 and it's comfy. At the end of the day it's a honda and won't ever die. Resale is easy also. I checked out the cb300f at the show and rather liked it. After having ridden the r I would give it nothing but positive reviews. The power is adequate especially for someone new and the f has a great seating position.

fyi honda offers a lower seat for the 300f that reduces seat height by 3cm

part #
0SR50-K33-100A $243.95

If you are leg challenged (I am), then all the Sport-looking bikes might be a tad high for you. I've tried them and the R3 is the lowest. The Honda CBR250 and even the CBR125, was a bit tipsy. The entry sport-bikes may be inappropriate for you.

As for cruisers, there are forward controls and mid-controls models. Riding positions are not all the same. For forward controls, think gyno exam. I find it a very weird riding position, legs all splayed out in front. Mid control cruisers are very neutral. Look to try an older (mid '80s) Universal Japanese motorcycle (JUM) design to try, or what many people call the "sit up and beg" riding position.

Just for kicks, go sit on a Harley Davidson 883 low. It is really low and has mid controls. On a test ride I found it very easy to get feet down but also to ride. Unfortunately I did not like the bike, the culture and it's really expensive. There are other low seat mid-controls cruisers out there that will be easier to ride than the current 250-300cc sport bikes. If you can, try a Honda VT500C, a mid-controls cruiser that you can get more than balls of the foot down, and a very neutral riding position. A narrow seat will also be beneficial, while a wide bike will be harder to get feet down. Please sit on a Suzuki S40, which has a low seat as well as being very narrow.

Beginners with short legs really limit your choices. Where in the city do you live?

Last edited:
OP - you should fit a BMW Scarver that is lowered. ( F650cs )

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...cs/1058896413?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Lovely bike for you ....lowering kit and maybe seat as well can bring it into 27-28" - BMW is good for having options and it's a very sweet machine
Instructor who is short rides one in the area. She loves it.

DSC_9310.jpg

Nice low CofG bike you can have fun with and tour with but easy to handle in the city.

Last edited:
As always, TorontoBoy is spot on with the advice. Was out for a ride today with WarriorVonBrown and he let me try his CBR125. I actually could only put the balls of my feet down. I felt a little uneasy. Nothing like how I flat foot my Shadow. If you are around me, you're welcome to see how the bike feels.

One word: Gurney Alligator.

If this is your first bike then I would definitely stick to the 300cc range. That said, try the three bikes you mentioned, but maybe also throw in the Ninja 300R and a slightly older CBR250R in that set as well. Also I'm not sure what your inseam is, but if it is on the shorter side like me (I've got a 29" inseam even though I'm 5'8"), you do get used to it, and if not, then you could always lower the bike.

OP - there are two aspects to lowering a bike ....links/suspension can take it down a couple of inches and a speciality seat can bring it down another inch or so.
Then add some boots with a thick sole and you've got a solution.

Not all bikes can be done easily.
One reason I mentioned the Scarver is it was designed with a low seat, has lowering kits available and I think there is a low seat option from BMW and maybe others.

It's a bit big for a new rider and insurance might be out of reach.

Depends on the inseam ....26" inseam plus boots and a lowered bike might do it.

Riding a taller bike as a short person actually requires a little bit of skill. You do not need to put both feet down. As long as you can scoot over and get 1 foot down.

My bike stock is 36" seat height... I lowered it to 35". I have a 31-32" in-seem. No problems! ;)

I generally put my left foot onto the pegs and hop on like i'm getting onto a horse. I lean the bike to the right to get the kick-stand up.

[video=youtube;s07hML6bJOA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s07hML6bJOA[/video]

Depends on the inseam ....26" inseam plus boots and a lowered bike might do it.

That's me. So a lowered bike is almost a must.
Chasem mentioned the one foot down, but personally I just don't feel comfortable with that. OP, I think what you need to do is confirm whether it is sporty or cruiser that you would like, then look at if you are comfortable with one foot down, or if you will lower it.
The upside is that there are a few smaller/ petite women with lowered 250's, and I believe I have seen a few on Kijiji recently.

I didn't read the thread, but why are you starting so small? Insurance cost??

I have a kit that'll lower any 06+ Yamaha R6 about 4 inches. Shouldn't have a problem touching then, if you do buy bigger boots. I could even map the ECU for "learning" (linear throttle, limit top end, etc.), then once you get used to the bike I can unlock ludacris mode :)

I didn't read the thread, but why are you starting so small? Insurance cost??

I have a kit that'll lower any 06+ Yamaha R6 about 4 inches. Shouldn't have a problem touching then, if you do buy bigger boots. I could even map the ECU for "learning" (linear throttle, limit top end, etc.), then once you get used to the bike I can unlock ludacris mode :)

Did you really just suggest an R6 to be a good first bike? lol

Back
Top Bottom