PAN-AM HOV lanes on DVP and Gardiner | GTAMotorcycle.com

PAN-AM HOV lanes on DVP and Gardiner

scom

This week I had two meetings cross-town in East York and Agincourt; one in the afternoon and one mid morning. Normally I avoid these roads but decided to give it a try. Setting out from Bloor West Village, I was able to cut 30% off my typical travel time with the HOV lanes. It was really a fantastic experience; saw many other riders taking advantage of the opportunity. I only wish they extended the ability for motos to use the HOV lanes on the 400 series HOV lanes.

Anyone had a similar experience or have an appetite to sign a petition with the city to keep em' ? :rolleyes:

They are great for some. But the HOV does cause traffic chaos for the other two non HOV lanes. The only way I would support the HOV lanes staying is if they added another lane for non HOV. In the city of Toronto, you can't have 3 lanes of traffic reduced to two. Sure it's great for the peeps in the HOV but it is hell in the other two.
Maybe we can put a road toll for all the 905ers to pay to add an extra lane since us 416ers already pay property tax for our roads. 905ers use them, why not help pay for them.

They are great for some. But the HOV does cause traffic chaos for the other two non HOV lanes. The only way I would support the HOV lanes staying is if they added another lane for non HOV. In the city of Toronto, you can't have 3 lanes of traffic reduced to two. Sure it's great for the peeps in the HOV but it is hell in the other two.
Maybe we can put a road toll for all the 905ers to pay to add an extra lane since us 416ers already pay property tax for our roads. 905ers use them, why not help pay for them.

Correct there should be a congestion fee to enter the city like in London, screw the 905ers lols

Correct there should be a congestion fee to enter the city like in London, screw the 905ers lols

I don't know why city hall doesn't consider a road toll fee for 905. They don't Vote here so it doesn't matter if they piss them off. All it would do is improve the services for the 416 and put some ease on our pocket book.

And set it up vice versa - If I'm bootin around Ajax or Hamilton (maybe 4 times a year). I don't mind paying a fee to use the roads there. It wouldn't affect me.

We need a petition for stoping these HOV threads from popping up.

No what we really need is the DVP, Gardiner, etc to become permenant toll roads on ALL lanes. Then we from outside Toronto can simply avoid tolls by NOT going into Toronto. Let it shrivel up and die, and the property values plummet. This would be good for everyone else living in Ontario.

No what we really need is the DVP, Gardiner, etc to become permenant toll roads on ALL lanes. Then we from outside Toronto can simply avoid tolls by NOT going into Toronto. Let it shrivel up and die, and the property values plummet. This would be good for everyone else living in Ontario.
I like toronto not so much the housing market tho

Ya keep the deadbeats who cant afford a toll from coming down here and not spending the money they dont have, this will destory us!

Can bikes ride in the HOV lane on the 401? What about the DVP? I heard someone say something about it and I tried to search but I couldn't find any info

Can bikes ride in the HOV lane on the 401? What about the DVP? I heard someone say something about it and I tried to search but I couldn't find any info
Only allowed in HOV on highways that don't start with a 4.

Dvp, Gardiner OK.
401,403,400 Bad.

Users be ware people can cut into your lane without warning and if ur speed differential is great, the bigger the crash!

I was talking to a friend who lives in downtown New York City and he claimed that their crime rate is way down because the place is too expensive for the low life muggers etc. They've all moved out to the suburbs.

In some ways Toronto reminds me of Wall, South Dakota. Everyone seems to go there because everyone else seems to go there.

Anecdotes from other people in the area that use the Gardiner as their go-to roadway for getting downtown says it no worse than before. Some of this I will attribute to people getting out of town but how much could that account for? You still have your trades and trucks working in the city. If there was 407 type tolling that was not owned by offshore interests, I could support that (but I still want my HOV lane). Can you imagine if they tolled the 401 - they would make enough money to host the Olympics!

You vastly over value your importance to the Toronto economy. Toronto won't shrivel up with toll roads. Those who are downtown need or want to be downtown and most would pay tolls (and complain on the internet) or have chosen to live downtown closer to their place of work. The companies who don't need to be downtown have moved out years ago as they should.

I'd support re-instating the $60 plate fee for Toronto residents but with a discount or free access to a tolled Gardiner/DVP. Easy cheap commuting has created so many problems in society that we need to re-think our approach to live/work. GTA wide transit needs to be the forward focus not more roads or making single occupant commuting easier.

Back
Top Bottom