Motorcycle insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle insurance

Hello, so I just got into riding and I got my m1 June 2015. I been driving for about 7 years clean record until a few weeks ago. I got a quote for insurace with state farm for 120 a months for my motorcycle so I was pretty happy 2 weeks later they call me to say they will cancel my insurace due to a major conviction, which I wasn't aware.. hell I didn't even get the damn ticket. I call mto and I found out that was chare with driving with out insurance 2 years ago... long story short my sister used my winter beater that was gonna be scrap and drove the car and got pull over. What I don't understand from the officer that car had no ownership nor insurance and he just gave her a ticket and let her drive. Now he didn't put the conviction on her license but mine... also mto said if I wanna remove it I'll have to file charges toward my sister which I will not do... I just wanna ride the bike I bought but no one wants to insure me. I have no other tickets or anything besides that anyone can suggest anything. I'll switch my car as well with the motorcycle.
Thanks in advance

Sucks to hear, but if your sister ****** you over knowingly (even by not telling you) .... She's a grown ass woman and has to deal with the consequences of her actions

Indeed, but I ain't gonna make her get some serious charges. I just wanna an isurance that will cover me for the bike the car is not a problem it's the bike that's hard to get insure.

The way I understand it the DRIVER, not the owner is responsible for making sure the vehicle is legal. If the OP was charged in absence why didn't it pop up somewhere before this?

Regrettably it would mean getting his sister charged as an opener to getting the mess straightened out.

The bitter news is that the insurance company sets the rules and the OP is on record as driving without insurance. An agent / broker can listen politely but he/ she can't change the rules. There is no room for discussion. He has a tick mark in the wrong box.

For how long is the next question.

Also why didn't this show on his car insurance? Something is really fishy here.

How about you compromise with your sister since it was her fault that you're in this situation?
You know you would have been paying $120 a month, find the lowest rate you can on your motorcycle insurance and get her to pay the difference until it goes down.
This way she is technically helping you out for her mistake and also not charging her.

How about you compromise with your sister since it was her fault that you're in this situation?
You know you would have been paying $120 a month, find the lowest rate you can on your motorcycle insurance and get her to pay the difference until it goes down.
This way she is technically helping you out for her mistake and also not charging her.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!
This advice gets my vote.

The way I understand it the DRIVER, not the owner is responsible for making sure the vehicle is legal. If the OP was charged in absence why didn't it pop up somewhere before this?

Regrettably it would mean getting his sister charged as an opener to getting the mess straightened out.

The bitter news is that the insurance company sets the rules and the OP is on record as driving without insurance. An agent / broker can listen politely but he/ she can't change the rules. There is no room for discussion. He has a tick mark in the wrong box.

For how long is the next question.

Also why didn't this show on his car insurance? Something is really fishy here.
Well I been with allstate for over 5 years apparently after a few years they stop checking your record unless you have an accident. that's what the broker told me, reason why it didn't show. Since I was already a client for 2 years with them when she got the ticket was 2012 then she took it to court and and shows Sept 24 2013. Now the good news is I went to court for all the papers got my sister driving record and proof she drove the car and the lady was able to save me a **** load of money. I'm paying 320 a month instead of 650 to 800+ a month. By the way don't trust these ticket lawyers the ticket the cop gave me was "permit to operated motor vehicle without insurance" and I dunno what he did I got as "operating vehicle without insurance" in my record the same as my sister, but I got all fixed didn't cost me a thing other than a few days off from work. So no I didn't do anything wrong other than take the insurace out and make sure I hide the keys well. I dunno if I mention the car ownership was never in the car. Now if she stole the car she would just got a ticket and keep on driving lol.

Indeed, but I ain't gonna make her get some serious charges. I just wanna an isurance that will cover me for the bike the car is not a problem it's the bike that's hard to get insure.

Wouldn't they just charge her with the same thing you've already been charged with? Why do you want to absorb her extra insurance costs? Let her pay the higher rates. I still don't see how you can be charged with it without ever receiving a ticket, summons, or anything. Your name should have had nothing to do with whatever your sister does.

Wouldn't they just charge her with the same thing you've already been charged with? Why do you want to absorb her extra insurance costs? Let her pay the higher rates. I still don't see how you can be charged with it without ever receiving a ticket, summons, or anything. Your name should have had nothing to do with whatever your sister does.
No, I spoke with a lawyer and he said they could get her charge with crimal charges. But as I mention before my broker want it proof I wasn't driving.. so I was able to prove and I didn't have to press any charges against my sister.

How the heck did you get a no insurance ticket on your drivers license when you weren't even there? IE your DL on the ticket?

57116889.jpg

How the heck did you get a no insurance ticket on your drivers license when you weren't even there? IE your DL on the ticket?

57116889.jpg
The cop figure since I'm the owner I should get the ticket as well. But when fighting in court with a traffic ticket lawyer you should always check the wording of the ticket and the final sentence... like I said the cop wrote the ticket for me as "permit to operated a motor vehicle without insurance" and after the court it was mark as "operating vehicle without insurance". So I dunno who change or what happen either way I was able to get insurance not cheap but it wasn't the 600 and up

TIL Cops can write tickets for people that aren't even around at the time and then somehow those tickets can stick without the person ever even being notified they were charged with something.

TIL Cops can write tickets for people that aren't even around at the time and then somehow those tickets can stick without the person ever even being notified they were charged with something.
I probably did get notify but I didn't see anything which tells me my sister took the mail because I didn't even pay for the fine either...

I probably did get notify but I didn't see anything which tells me my sister took the mail because I didn't even pay for the fine either...

So she intentionally hid it from you by hiding a mail notification until you decided to insure another vehicle..?

If she had told you it would've been better for both of you since the charge would've been dropped completely since you weren't even driving (and therefor can't be guilty) and she wouldn't be required to show up for the trial at all since she wasn't charged and you were.

So she intentionally hid it from you by hiding a mail notification until you decided to insure another vehicle..?
Thats correct.I guess she figure paying the lawyer and whatever the outcome from the court was not gonna affect me... and since my premium never went up, I wasn't aware.

If she had told you it would've been better for both of you since the charge would've been dropped completely since you weren't even driving (and therefor can't be guilty) and she wouldn't be required to show up for the trial at all since she wasn't charged and you were.
I dunno if that would be case, but if what you say is true. The the lawyer should of explain that to her.

ticket for me as "permit to operated a motor vehicle without insurance" and after the court it was mark as "operating vehicle without insurance".

My guess is "Your" ticket/conviction is Permit to operate a motor vehicle without insurance". Since it was your vehicle you are not supposed to let others use it if it is not properly insured. That would also explain why the ticket is yours unless you advise the Police that your sister did NOT have your permission to drive your vehicle (ie, drove it like she stole it...).

Sucks that she didn't let you know....

My brother screwed me when he got pulled over driving a car that was under MY name had no insurance. He gotta ticket but I got charged for "operating a vehicle without insurance". I had 2 options: (A)Tell the judge he stole the car or (B)simply take the charge. I paid through my nose for high risk insurance for 2+ years.

Correct if you have a vehicle which does not have current insurance on it and someone else is found operting the vehicle the Appropriate charges under the Compulsory Insurance Act are:

Vehicle operator, (Driver)

3. (1) An operator of a motor vehicle on a highway shall have in the motor vehicle at all times,
(a) an insurance card for the motor vehicle; or
(b) an insurance card evidencing that the operator is insured under a contract of automobile insurance,
and the operator shall surrender the insurance card for reasonable inspection upon the demand of a police officer. R.S.O. 1990, c. C.25, s. 3 (1).

Vehicle owner:

Compulsory automobile insurance

2. (1) Subject to the regulations, no owner or lessee of a motor vehicle shall,

(a) operate the motor vehicle; or
(b) cause or permit the motor vehicle to be operated,
on a highway unless the motor vehicle is insured under a contract of automobile insurance. 1994, c. 11, s. 383; 1996, c. 21, s. 50 (3).

Now how did they get the OP's DL# Simple they would have run the plate on the computer system and on the ownership, the owners DL# is attached to the record.

It is likely as he has stated his sister merely intercepted the mail, and therefore, he didn't recieve the proper notifications. OP sounds like, (if you haven't already done so), time to live away from this sister. If she is willing to go to these levels to decieve you, then it is likely only a matter of time before she "graduates" to more serious stuff.

Glad you got it "somewhat" worked out with your broker... BUT be aware next renewal on the car this issue will again raise it's ugly head and rest assured you WILL be seeing an increase on your car insurance as well.

Back
Top Bottom