Nice place to stay in the near north | GTAMotorcycle.com

Nice place to stay in the near north

BimmerMike

Stayed here last weekend.....I have no affiliation to this place...just seemed like a great location and a reasonable price. Unfortunately I couldn't take the bike this trip but I have ridden many of the roads in the area and find them to be some of the best I have experienced..in this province anyway.

http://www.quietbaylog.com/motel.html

Nice little spot..very quiet...and cheap...I pay more for a comfort inn in Vaughan!
Several dams and rapids/waterfalls nearby...520 and the Bunny trail are close by.
They have a breakfast/lunch cafe and there is a great dinner place a few kms up the road..they even have a damn and waterfall in the driveway to the restaurant.

I highly recommend it.

Nice - I was looking for a get away from the city.

Key for me tho ...is there either internet or Rogers cell serivce?
Could not see internet listed.

To be honest I didn't even check....I find wi fi pretty poor at most places and just use my Rogers service with Hot Spot
No issues there. reception was only 2 bars but worked ok.

The place is on the water, but no real beach, it has a small dock on a quiet bay on the edge of the marsh area....lots of bugs late in the day, but that was near dusk so to be expected...it was fine during the day.
I rented their canoe and we had a great time, quiet little lake. Saw a deer on the water's edge just watching us for at least 5 mins....later on at dinner there was a Blue Heron standing in the waterfall looking for his dinner!

Magnetewan is nearby and pretty cool, not far up to Port Loring or over to Burk's falls, Kearney..518..old nippising road ( quite rough but ok for adv types )

Lots to do...lots of rides in the area.

Last edited:
South of North Bay is considered near north? Guess I can say I've been to the north more times than I thought, lol. Probably riding to North Bay in two weeks.

Thats all I need to function and Port Loring has good memories from renting cabins with family as a kid.
would be fun to cruise the area
thanks

Sorry

I work with people who seem to think that everything above King City is the north!
Just wanted the title to show that it wasn't as close as Port Severn.

South of North Bay is considered near north? Guess I can say I've been to the north more times than I thought, lol. Probably riding to North Bay in two weeks.

I wonder where the border is for most people. Yellowknife isn't even really even considered "up north" for most of my coworkers. Got a guy going up to Resolute Bay next week; another guy went to Grise Fjord over the winter; etc.

If you ever get a chance to cruise around Yukon, I highly recommend it. Did a project up there a couple years ago and then did a 1 week road trip all around after.

I hope that wasn't on the RS125 listed at the bottom of your post:D
btw you are not the only one on here with a 944...I have a 1989 S2 Cabrio

I hope that wasn't on the RS125 listed at the bottom of your post:D
btw you are not the only one on here with a 944...I have a 1989 S2 Cabrio
I didn't ride to those places but I am planning on taking the 125 to North Bay. It got me to Ottawa and back which is about the same distance I think.

Saw a couple adventure bikes on the Top of the World highway. Those guys were crazy.

Cool car. I'd like the convertible.

Just D/L your "movies" onto a USB Stick... :agave: (J/K)
But place looks cool, I'm always looking for a weekend getaway..

i need to work not watch ...thats why would be nice on weekdays

I have coverage on Telus all the way along the highway up to North Bay, as far as I remember. Works in Timmins, too but not sure if there's coverage along the highway that far.

I'm surprised if you travel so far and need a connection for work that you're not on Bell or Telus since their coverage is much larger than Rogers.

Actually Rogers extended worked very well and there are McDs for daytime and always wireless at the motels

Actually Rogers extended worked very well and there are McDs for daytime and always wireless at the motels

I had some issues with Rogers Cell coverage on some of the twistier areas around here a while back. Not sure if they've improved it yet.
If you're on the straight and narrow superslab you shouldn't have a problem.

Oh you won't have problems down here. If you go truly north they have no coverage and roam on Bell (not cheaply, either).

There are twisties around here?? Do tell :rolleyes:

Actually was referring to BC where we had been told Rogers was spotty but once got the Extended figured out ( kid was getting signal I was not )....it worked in many areas - even on the ferry down the Inside Passage tho not everywhere.

There are twisties around here?? Do tell :rolleyes:

Actually was referring to BC where we had been told Rogers was spotty but once got the Extended figured out ( kid was getting signal I was not )....it worked in many areas - even on the ferry down the Inside Passage tho not everywhere.
Probably not many but I've seen bikes there. Sorry, from your posts I thought you were like those guys you see on advrider that ride up to Alaska, Inuvik, etc so I thought you would benefit from true national coverage.

Last edited:
Well we snuck into Alaska via Stewart BC but here is no "national coverage" for the the entire country until Google gets sorted. Looks pretty national to me

Well we snuck into Alaska via Stewart BC but here is no "national coverage" for the the entire country until Google gets sorted. Looks pretty national to me

What do the hatched areas represent? Looks like roaming areas to me.

All I know is I've been to 3 towns in NWT where Telus and Bell worked fine and wasn't roaming while my coworkers were roaming (at almost $2/monute) and had the same experience with my gf (on Rogers) in Yukon.

Back
Top Bottom