Would I be stupid to go for the Icon Alliance Dark helmet? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Would I be stupid to go for the Icon Alliance Dark helmet?

Head out to Guelph to look at helmets. Royal Distributing will have a large selection. Been a few years since I have been there, but they used to carry Icon helmets and I would assume still do. There is always Two Wheel Motorsport in Guelph which has a good selection, probably better now with the new building.

1. Royal Distributing Inc
    Address: 925 Woodlawn Rd W, Guelph, ON N1K 1B7
    Phone:(519) 822-7081
    Hours: Open today · 9:00 am – 9:00 pm

Two Wheel Motorsport
    Address: 5624 Hwy 6 Guelph Eramosa twp, Guelph, ON N1H 6J2
    Phone:(519) 836-1957
    Hours: Open today · 9:00 am – 6:00 pm

Last edited:
That's what I like to be honest... it's very plain and light weight supposedly. My main criteria is that it's lightweight/comfortable or I won't want to wear it.

Just worried it's not as safe.

Does it have all the certifications to be used for a course etc?

It's as safe as any other helmet... Safety is the last factor to affect helmet price. The high end helmets have better noise reduction ? Air flow, and other comfort features. Safety wise all decent ones are same... Just stay away from $40 Chinese helmets

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

I've got an Icon Alliance and it's a great entry level helmet for motorcycling. Comes with a dark visor which was a deal breaker for me.

As for noise -- it's very noisy with wind and lots of whistles at highway speed. Ear plugs will solve that if you don't wanna shell out more money on a higher end helmet.

Other than that, the fit is great and the quality is pretty good too. Had a wasp fly into the mouth flap at high speeds and it popped out the flap but didn't break it I just popped it back in. The helmet also fell off my bike around waist height and barely got scratched.

I will admit, however, that I will upgrade my helmet probably next year if I've got a bike by then.

agreed. dot and snell is what you want to look at. the more expensive helmets usually aren't more "protective" but more of comfort and weight etc. had an RF1100 which to some are the gateway to "premium" helmets. i like the rpha10, which cost me half the price of my rf1100, way better due to fit and comfort liner.

get what fits you, if it fits snugly, and for that price, i'd go for it.

Unless they changed it very recently, it's not Snell. The only 2 Snell approved Icon helmets are the Main Frame and the Domain2. http://www.smf.org/cert

egqg5zc.jpg

Not so fast on the Snell cert.

The screen shot above shows an M2000 approval. We're now up to M2015, three generations later.

Not a single word of Snell on Icon's own page for the Alliance, just DOT and ECE 22-05.

Sent from Z10 on Tapatalk

Not so fast on the Snell cert.

The screen shot above shows an M2000 approval. We're now up to M2015, three generations later.

Not a single word of Snell on Icon's own page for the Alliance, just DOT and ECE 22-05.

Sent from Z10 on Tapatalk
Good catch. I checked my Bell Helmet and it's m2015 cert. So Icon might've slacked off on the certs?!

Leaving aside the DOT/Snell Cert issues, I can't see the appeal of a black helmut in Toronto in July and August. Why not just stuff your head into an "easy bake oven".

Leaving aside the DOT/Snell Cert issues, I can't see the appeal of a black helmut in Toronto in July and August. Why not just stuff your head into an "easy bake oven".

All helmets have an EPS foam liner which is a fantastic thermal insulator.

I have an Alliance Dark and even in this recent heatwave it hasn't been any hotter than it was back in the spring. Great helmet for the money, I can't recommend it enough. The rubatone coating shows every single but splatter after your ride though, it's really unsightly.

Echoing the "f*** these stupid visor side caps" thing. I have a number of different visors for it and I wish I could buy those side caps for each visor so I don't nearly **** myself each time I remove them to put a different visor on for fear of breaking those little plastic clips.

Didn't sound like it was snell. He said something like DOT and World rated, whatever world rated means - maybe just DOT again.

I wouldn't buy a Black, especially Matt Black, helmet same as I wouldn't buy a Black Car, or Car with Black upholstery.
It absorbs the sunlight and has to transmit that energy somewhere, most likely into your brain.
They're also harder to see.

I wouldn't worry too much about the price, as long as it lives up to it's rating.

I have an Alliance Dark and even in this recent heatwave it hasn't been any hotter than it was back in the spring. Great helmet for the money, I can't recommend it enough. The rubatone coating shows every single but splatter after your ride though, it's really unsightly.

Echoing the "f*** these stupid visor side caps" thing. I have a number of different visors for it and I wish I could buy those side caps for each visor so I don't nearly **** myself each time I remove them to put a different visor on for fear of breaking those little plastic clips.

You can buy those f***ing stupid visor side caps separately.... I have an ICON Airframe with 2 different visors and each have the side caps... $12 from the dealer I believe.... the should be the same or similar

Back
Top Bottom