GSXR 600 - What tires are you using? Time for a new set. | GTAMotorcycle.com

GSXR 600 - What tires are you using? Time for a new set.

JoeyB

Site Supporter
Open to all sport bikes really, I'm in need of some new tires. All recommendations are welcome.

I only ride street and not aggressively. I have the chicken strips to prove it.

Pirelli Angel ST on my Daytona 675

The BT-016's it came with lasted 13,000 kms (front probably had a little more life) and I replaced them with Pilot Road 4's which I chose because they seem to have the best compromise between longevity and performance.

Dunlop Q3's .... call Fawaz @ Racer5/Speedworx for great prices.

/thread

lol

Why? They'll square off really quick and won't last as long as a Sport Touring tire or hard compound

Why? They'll square off really quick and won't last as long as a Sport Touring tire or hard compound

Agreed. Q3's are great but unless you're going to ride very aggressively they're not a good choice. Lots of great sport-touring tires that will have all the grip you'll ever need and will last a heck of a lot longer. I'm a Dunlop fan and after 3 sets of Q2/3's I'm now happily running Roadsmart II's and would highly recommend them.

Open to all sport bikes really, I'm in need of some new tires. All recommendations are welcome.

I only ride street and not aggressively. I have the chicken strips to prove it.

I think a sport touring tire would be your best bet.

Dunlop Roadsmart, Pirelli Angel, Bridgestone BT023 or a Michelin Pilot Road.

They will probably cost a little more than something like a Q3 but they will last a lot longer. Well worth it in the end.

Metzeler m7.

Metzler M5 and M7 Sportec's are awesome, as are the Racetec's.... I suggest if you don't ride aggressively, to get the Roadtec's. Metzler's are phenomenal in the rain. My Racetec's and Sportec's have been rain tested at well over 200 clicks and still held like glue. Can't go wrong with Metzler!

Unless you're riding very aggressively (which you said you're not) I'd recommend sport touring tires rather than sport tires.

Sport tires last around 6,000km to 10,000km. Sport tourings average 20,000km. My Angel STs lasted 18,000 before I swapping to PP3s and they still had lots of tread left; the swap was due to a change in riding style (more aggressive).

Metzler M5 and M7 Sportec's are awesome, as are the Racetec's.... I suggest if you don't ride aggressively, to get the Roadtec's. Metzler's are phenomenal in the rain. My Racetec's and Sportec's have been rain tested at well over 200 clicks and still held like glue. Can't go wrong with Metzler!

Agreed, I run roadtec z6 on my 88 gsxr 1100, I have not tried them on my 09 6 and 750. I love metzeler in the rain. Swapped out the original tires on my 6 and 750 after a 200 metre long hydroplane on the 401. They only had 100km on them at the time.

big fan of Power Pilot 3's. they get good tread life (about 7k give or take depending on how you ride) and stick amazingly in the rain or dry. front and rear dual compounds, some other tires are only rear dual compound.

for your specified needs I don't know why most people here are recommending proper sport tires, seems like a few guys know what they're talking about.

I've sold a bunch of tires at the last 10-12 shows here so if you'd care for some informed advice get some sport touring rubber. It'll be ready to go a lot quicker than a sport tires in terms of warm up time because sometimes on the street a ride can be as short as 10-12 minutes at a very sedate pace. You'll also get better longevity and wet weather performance from the sounds of it that will be a lot more beneficial to you. You likely won't even reach the limits of a sport touring tire so don't be worried to hit the throttle either in fear of not having enough traction.

As soon as I put Pilot Road 3's on my gsxr600, it was a hint that maybe the gsxr isn't the right bike for me anymore. I love the agility and the power, but, as I get a bit older, I'm thinking I need something more comfortable.

But, for now, the tires are great and give me confidence in all sorts of riding. Not using all of the tire, but, I get close.

Based on your short list of requirements, I suggest that you do the same!

Agreed, I run roadtec z6 on my 88 gsxr 1100, I have not tried them on my 09 6 and 750. I love metzeler in the rain. Swapped out the original tires on my 6 and 750 after a 200 metre long hydroplane on the 401. They only had 100km on them at the time.
Not sure how new tires react in the rain, but couldn't that have been because of the new tire sheen that needs to be broken in?

for your specified needs I don't know why most people here are recommending proper sport tires, seems like a few guys know what they're talking about.

I've sold a bunch of tires at the last 10-12 shows here so if you'd care for some informed advice get some sport touring rubber. It'll be ready to go a lot quicker than a sport tires in terms of warm up time because sometimes on the street a ride can be as short as 10-12 minutes at a very sedate pace. You'll also get better longevity and wet weather performance from the sounds of it that will be a lot more beneficial to you. You likely won't even reach the limits of a sport touring tire so don't be worried to hit the throttle either in fear of not having enough traction.

i had a shop tell me the same thing about switching to a road 3 or 4 but im very pleased with the PP3's. they are designed to be something like 70% street to begin with.
i personally havent decided what tires im going to go with next, for my current set which is only a couple weeks old i wanted to stick with what i was use to because im going on a big trip tomorrow....which is also why i was told to get the road 3's/4's.

Not sure how new tires react in the rain, but couldn't that have been because of the new tire sheen that needs to be broken in?

Tires were well broken in. Just not enough rain grooves, by the time the front hooked back up I was almost at full streering stop, one of the scraiest things I've had happen in the last 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom