Hit and run by cab | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hit and run by cab

puttockc

So I'm sitting at the side of the road after a cab hit me (very low speed, basically a tip over.) and ran off while I was trying to pick up the bike.

What should I do? No collision just comprehensive, report it?

I have no pics or evidence

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

With no evidence and no collision coverage, you are probably screwed.

If you only have basic insurance, there is still coverage for hit-and-run situations, but the other vehicle has to be "identified".

If you know what cab company it was (identify it by colour scheme if possible) and you know with reasonable accuracy the time and location of the collision, you could try calling the cab company to see if they track which vehicle was at that location and time. That is pretty much your only shot at "identifying" the other vehicle.

Hit-and-run collisions are always "reportable" as far as collision-reporting-center is concerned (it doesn't matter how little damage there is) but you have a certain amount of time to do it. Personally, I would only bother with this if there was a reasonable shot at you or the cab company actually identifying which vehicle hit you.

Last edited:
Thanks I appreciate it.

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

Just to chime in on my hit and run experience.

Mid-Mayish, I was driving along QEW on the right most lane in my car, obeying all traffic laws not doing anything stupid. All of sudden I hear a bang and grinding noise and see that an 18 wheeler transporter truck hit rear door on the driver side. Fortunately I didn't lose control of the vehicle.

I did see that the truck was there before before the collision but wasn't expecting him to veer into my lane.

Anyways, I tried honking at him, waved at him from front, back, left, right of the truck to pull over but he didn't. This went on for a few highway exits. When it didn't seem like he wouldn't stop, I got off the highway and went to OPP to report a hit and run. They took the info and my statement. I had description of the truck and plates for both the truck and trailer.

Insurance said that since it was a hit and run I'd be paying half my deductible ($1000 normal but I paid $500 on total repair bill of around 4k). I was informed that if would not impact my premium but who knows.

Funny thing is, even with plate information (I took pics when realizing the truck won't pull over), they said he couldn't be tracked.

After this incident, I lost all respect and faith for the police work.

Sorry for lengthy post but I would still report it in the end.

You can ask to speak to a supervisor of course they can obtain records from the plate number, identifying the driver could be another story. But I am sure your insurer has the driver info. They can track the RO from the plate as well as insurer info.

Just to chime in on my hit and run experience.

Mid-Mayish, I was driving along QEW on the right most lane in my car, obeying all traffic laws not doing anything stupid. All of sudden I hear a bang and grinding noise and see that an 18 wheeler transporter truck hit rear door on the driver side. Fortunately I didn't lose control of the vehicle.

I did see that the truck was there before before the collision but wasn't expecting him to veer into my lane.

Anyways, I tried honking at him, waved at him from front, back, left, right of the truck to pull over but he didn't. This went on for a few highway exits. When it didn't seem like he wouldn't stop, I got off the highway and went to OPP to report a hit and run. They took the info and my statement. I had description of the truck and plates for both the truck and trailer.

Insurance said that since it was a hit and run I'd be paying half my deductible ($1000 normal but I paid $500 on total repair bill of around 4k). I was informed that if would not impact my premium but who knows.

Funny thing is, even with plate information (I took pics when realizing the truck won't pull over), they said he couldn't be tracked.

After this incident, I lost all respect and faith for the police work.

Sorry for lengthy post but I would still report it in the end.

When I inquired about this with State Farm they told me if you can get a plate number, license number, or name (basically any way to identify the other vehicle or driver) you're good. Otherwise you're screwed.

You can ask to speak to a supervisor of course they can obtain records from the plate number, identifying the driver could be another story. But I am sure your insurer has the driver info. They can track the RO from the plate as well as insurer info.

Trailer plate. It could take a fair bit of leg work to figure out what rig was connected to it on what day, if it was a freight company.

Trailer plate. It could take a fair bit of leg work to figure out what rig was connected to it on what day, if it was a freight company.
True but this is what OP wrote...

I had description of the truck and plates for both the truck and trailer.

I've been so busy that I didn't get a chance to call up OPP until now. Was on a business trip a week after the incident and been busy with house stuff (new homebuyer).

I'm told that apparently, whoever ran the plate did not get a match. I'm 99% certain that I gave the right plate information (both truck and trailer) as I took pictures and I write very legibly in all official documents.

I mean, I'm pretty ****** off now. So they don't get a match, but don't even inform me. Whoever ran it (I got a name) is supposed to call me this Wednesday but wow. I wonder if this is the guy (not officer) that gave me a report number missing 1 digit and I had to call like 3 times to find that out.

On another note, sorry for highjacking thread OP, but how did your situation turn out?

Last edited:
I've been so busy that I didn't get a chance to call up OPP until now. Was on a business trip a week after the incident and been busy with house stuff (new homebuyer).

I'm told that apparently, whoever ran the plate did not get a match. I'm 99% certain that I gave the right plate information (both truck and trailer) as I took pictures and I write very legibly in all official documents.

I mean, I'm pretty ****** off now. So they don't get a match, but don't even inform me. Whoever ran it (I got a name) is supposed to call me this Wednesday but wow. I wonder if this is the guy (not officer) that gave me a report number missing 1 digit and I had to call like 3 times to find that out.

On another note, sorry for highjacking thread OP, but how did your situation turn out?

on the right in my lane, (one lane each direction). He scuffed my highway bar. When I tried to get him to stop, to let him know he had hit me, I knocked on his trunk as windows were tinted and he was behind line of cars at stop light. Suddenly he threw car into gear pulled into oncoming traffic and sped off. Unfortunately for him I have a GoPro front and back of the bike. He told police at CR center I hit him and fled..lol Iasked if they wanted to see video they said nope, let insurance clean it up. Three days later his insurance calls me, says they understand I have video and they want me to turn it over to them. I told them to pound salt they aren't my insurer.

called my insurer they said don't make a claim, (I rubbed paint from his car off my chrome..lol). I said other company threantened to go after my insurer to get video. My insurer said they won't release it unless his insurer tries to collect for damages. I called his agent back and apparently he is no longer pursuing it.

Moral of the story get a go pro, then there is NO question as to what happened and plate #'s are preserved...lol

Good luck to both you and the OP
Had a guy about 3 weeks ago try to pass me

Back
Top Bottom