Costco tire road hazard warranty | GTAMotorcycle.com

Costco tire road hazard warranty

daught

Any one have experience with costco's tire road hazard warranty? I am especially interested in how they deal with AWD cars that let's say have a tire explosion when tires are 50% worn.

Also, how do companies deal with thread warranty for summer tires if you use winter tires?

Last edited:
You need to have your tires balanced and rotated every 10k by Costco (free, included with initial install) to be valid for the warranty, iirc. That being said, they are pretty good for honouring the warranty. It is paid out on a pro rated basis.
I'm not sure about the winter tires, but, assuming they were also bought at Costco, and you did all the switch overs there, they would document kms on the paperwork thereby showing proof of kms traveled on each set of tires.

Good thx.

I list a bolt. Any idea if this head is pretty typical for conical bolts? What are my chances of finding one?

$(KGrHqVHJCEFHBBPr!EEBR37l4WUpQ~~60_3.JPG

BUMP... this costco purchase is becoming a serious ****up. I just can't get them to balance my tires and stop my car from shaking. Been there five times now. Getting in their shop feels like I have to camp in front of the store a day ahead, kinda like boxing day sales.

Visit 1:
I installed a set of Michellin pilot sport AS3. Nice tires but at 100km/h the car and steering wheel vibrated.

Visit 2:
I go for a re-balance. They re-balance my tires and inform me a rim is bent. I am pretty surprised they would have installed new tires on a bent rim.

Visit 3:
I buy a replacement rim and they install it. Car STILL VIBRATES.

Visit 4:
They blame my car. Reasonable... I put my winters on, they are nice and smooth at high speeds.

Visit 5:
They inform me costco rims are junk and I should replace them.

WTF is happening here? Those rims were fine with the previous tires. They were some pirelli P4 I think. Could the AS3s make their flaws more noticeable?

@Daught, have you talked to the building asst manager?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

@Daught, have you talked to the building asst manager?

No, just to the tire center people. I doubt the mngr would know more. Right now I want to find out if the rim can and tire can check out on the balancer and cause the vibrations because of the rim. I am inclined to believe the tires are the wild factor that act up when they are weighted. Also I am pretty sure temperature affects haw bad they vibrate.

No, just to the tire center people. I doubt the mngr would know more. Right now I want to find out if the rim can and tire can check out on the balancer and cause the vibrations because of the rim. I am inclined to believe the tires are the wild factor that act up when they are weighted. Also I am pretty sure temperature affects haw bad they vibrate.
Didn't mean that he would know more, just that if this is an ongoing issue that has not been resolved, he has the authority to replace the tires, if that is what's needed.
Which location?

What kind of car? Are the rims factory rims? Do they have the correct sized centre bore? is there a hub centric ring installed on the rims?

B6 A4, costco rims I got the car with. They were absolutely fine before. They have hub centric rings. Dunno maybe they dropped my rims or something and bent a few of them. Or the tires are messed up.
The shops and manager are probably going to keep blaming my rims, car, atmospheric pressure, moon phase etc before they replace the tire.

Unfortunately these visits were at multiple locations, depending were I could get in.

Their tire warranty saved me once. I caught a nail in the sidewall with 5k on a brand new tire. They replaced it for free as it was irreparable. Other than that, if the tire cannot be repaired, they give you credit value based on % amount of tread you have left.

When it comes to rims, the aftermarket steelies are junk. If the difference in OEM steelies vs aftermarket is small, then definitely OEM. Bought Costco/Canadian Tire rims too many times to do that mistake again. Their own staff admit that it is junk as well.

Last edited:
Good thx.

I list a bolt. Any idea if this head is pretty typical for conical bolts? What are my chances of finding one?

I'm having difficulty understanding your post but I had those bolts on my WRX so they must not be entirely uncommon.

Those aren't standard as in OEM but they are pretty standard for spline drive Tuner Lugs.... they are narrower than an OEM lug allowing it to fit into wheels that have a thicker hub design. You can get cheap ones and really expensive ones so its all up to what you want. You just have to make sure you get the correct size AND pitch for your vehicle.

For what its worth though I wouldn't get those for a VW/Audi or any bolt type lug. You can put too much torque on them as the splines can strip somewhat easily. And I'm sure most of us now how hard those bolt type lugs can be to get off sometimes. I have spline drive nuts on my STi but I wouldn't the spline drive on my A4

Good thx.

You could put one winter tire/wheel on at a time to see if you can find if it's one specific tire/wheel causing the vibration at high speed.

Find a shop that has a roadforce balancer.

Yes, I should just go and get them balanced with a roadforce. I had a visibly bent rim perfectly balanced with a roadforce. I was waiting for a reply from costco, maybe have them cover the cost of balancing at another shop. Whatever next week my new suspension is getting installed and I want my tires BALANCED to have some proper fun.

You could put one winter tire/wheel on at a time to see if you can find if it's one specific tire/wheel causing the vibration at high speed.

I tried that with my spare and I still had some vibrations. Dunno if my spare is balanced, it's been sitting in the trunk for 10 years. My winters are a different size, can't put one on the quattro.

First thought that I had was tie rods or springs.

You didn't hit a curb or something after the new tires were on did you?

Balancing rarely solves the problem of a warped wheel. You can balance out a square but it will still be a square and you will feel it when it rolls. If it's just the lip that's bent, it may look bad but it affects little, quite often you will have a flat spot on the body of the wheel that is not as easily noticeable but causes substantially more vibration.

Make sure that whoever is balancing your wheels is using a proper adapter that holds it by the lug nut holes, not by the hub hole.

If you have any issues with Costco tire shops, come see me, I can most likely help you, and you won't have to camp outside to get in.

A pot hole can do it too. People rarely ever remember hitting them.
It is not a common occurrence for the tire itself to be faulty, although it happens of course. I have yet to have a complaint about Pilot Sport A/S 3 though.
More often than not, it's an outside factor.

Make sure that whoever is balancing your wheels is using a proper adapter that holds it by the lug nut holes, not by the hub hole.

I am certain on the second visit they centered it using the hub hole. Since they are universal hubs, therefore quite large, maybe it's not even holding it at all?
I really doubt I hit something. I got off the highway and everything was fine, then I got on the highway and it was bad.

No, and even if they were all shot I don't see how the winters would fix it. Those winters are stable at speeds I only dreamed of going. General tires FTW.

Last edited:
Hub holes are quite often not even perfectly circular. On many wheels, the finish side is soft and gets easily dented and/or deformed. That's why you should balance with pin plates, using lug holes. It is also how the wheel is seated on the hub (with lug nuts) so it's a more accurate reflection of how the wheel and tire assembly will respond on the vehicle.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom