Single vs double yellow vs white line | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Single vs double yellow vs white line

Passing doesn't have to have anything to do with rushing. Somene mght simply want to go faster than the vehicles in front.

..Tom

True. My choice of words were maybe not the best.
Also, my Shadow doesn't move too fast anyway.

So much money making opportunities, and they're wasting their time on reduced speeding tickets.

The gov't wants to hammer the thought of "speed kills" in people's heads. In reality, most of the accidents I hear of or see in and around the city involve an improper turn regardless if the person was speeding or not. On top of that there's the whole distracted driving law which a huge problem resulting in many many many rear ends because cops are mostly focused on people speeding unless they go on a random blitz to make a point for the week..

Last edited:
A little side note if any of you you are driving/riding in California: when making right turns you have to turn into the right lane same as here; but when making a left you can turn into any lane that is going the same direction. (This is true of single lane turns, I don't recall the law for multiple lane turns.)

..Tom

Texas has a similar law for left turns, basically the driver can turn into ANY available lane. British Columbia has regulatory lines painted on their grounds.

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/96318_00

Driving on laned roadway
151 A driver who is driving a vehicle on a laned roadway

(b) must not drive it from one lane to another if that action necessitates crossing a solid line,

Fine: Lane change solid line $109 - 2 points

This also means you can not turn left across a solid line either. You're forced to make a right turn and swing a u-turn somewhere.

Interesting facts presented here by both Brian P and ifly55. I was , and have been for 25ish years, mislead to believe that passing on a double solid was a no no. Thanks for the clarification.
That being said, with so much not being regulatory, and giving the drivers so much leeway, it's no wonder we have such bad drivers here. I will however continue to not cross solid lines for passing. I'm in no rush ?.

If you don't ever cross solid lines how do you expect to pass a cyclist? Giving them the 1m buffer requires you to cross the solid lines if in a car. Do you also follow slow moving vehicles in the country until they pull of the roadway?

You make it sound like just because your over the line danger is imminent. The key phrase is "when it's safe to do so."

If you don't ever cross solid lines how do you expect to pass a cyclist? Giving them the 1m buffer requires you to cross the solid lines if in a car. Do you also follow slow moving vehicles in the country until they pull of the roadway?

You make it sound like just because your over the line danger is imminent. The key phrase is "when it's safe to do so."

Yes. When safe to do so.
Also, I never have to cross a solid line when passing cyclists. How wide is your bike?

Yes. When safe to do so.
Also, I never have to cross a solid line when passing cyclists. How wide is your bike?
He said in a car.

He said in a car.

Yes he did. But in my post that he quoted, I referred to my bike.
This thread has become too much work.

I'm in no rush .

Try riding behind a dump truck on a secondary highway. Don't matter how fast those crazy bastards are going, it feels like you're on a BB gun range

Back
Top Bottom