Dirt biking before M1 exit? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dirt biking before M1 exit?

SaugaRider

Heyo!

Wasn't sure if to post it under dirt bikes or here so sorry If anything.

Currently planning to do my M1 exit last week on august. Thinking of doing dirt at trailtours. (Or any suggestion for other places)
I figure this would be a good way to get some training in without the rush and worry of making mistakes.

I'm doing the test last week of august, tues-thurs.

When should I go dirt biking so that it doesn't wear off for the test? The monday right before? The previous friday?
Anything in specific I should practice while I have access to the bike?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Heyo!

Currently planning to do my M1 exit last week on august, thinking of doing it at trailtours. (Or any suggestion for other places)
I figure this would be a good way to get some training in without the rush and worry of making mistakes.

When should I go dirt biking so that it doesn't wear off for the test? The monday right before? The previous friday?

Thanks!
Forget the dirtbiking and get your nerves under control. Do what the MotoGP riders do before a race, and do it often. Visualize yourself doing the test (riding the circuit) and reacting calmly and assertively to anything that's thrown at you. Don't think of it as a test. Pretend a cab is following you. Download some binaural beats from YouTube and listen and watch them. You need to get into a winners frame of mind. Watch others on YouTube doing their M1 exit and see if you can pick up on their mistakes.

Last edited:
Just relax and do the trail tour ride to have fun. One session isn't going to make you a sliding expert so just enjoy.

lol, It doesn't just wear off...I was a kid when I first rode (13 years or so) then I got my Ninja 250 5-6 years later and rode home from Kahuna Powersports' original location to Mississauga after having my M1 for 2 weeks. It was the best ride home ever and felt like I had never stopped for all those years in between.

I think all riders should have to do a dirt course to get a license...Dirt riding will definitely improve your riding skills.

Do the dirt course for that reason.

For your test...practice where the test is going to be taken...on the street.

I think it'd be a good idea. A lot about the M1X is accuracy and placement of the bike, balance, clutch control etc; things like staying between narrowly spaced lines while riding a curve, braking around a corner, accurate stopping etc. It reminds me of trail riding where the trail is a couple of feet wide and you strive to keep your wheels on it while avoid roots and rocks and stuff. It's good balance and bike-craft (shifting, clutch feathering etc) skills.

Heyo!

Currently planning to do my M1 exit last week on august. Thinking of doing dirt at trailtours. (Or any suggestion for other places)

Thanks!

FWIW, i think you can do a dirt session AND the M1 exit with SMART up in Horseshoe Valley.

Heyo!

Thanks!

I did trail tours before my M1, first time riding a bike with them, excellent way to start :)

Once youve done the single track-test at trail tours, roads are gonna look like a piece of cake.

Balance is similar but still different. The torque/gearing of the dirtbike is whats really different. Basically trail tours will make you LOVE it even more. So the timeframe doesnt really matter.

Just enjoy the day and the dirt and the sand ..and if youre lucky, THE MUDDD

You'll learn valuable skills in the dirt and it will put you ahead of the game in terms of completing the M1X successfully.

I also practise moto-gymkhana skills riding with a couple of people every Tuesday evening near DVP/Eglington. You'll pretty much get all the practise, tips, pointers you need there too...All skill levels welcome. The only thing required is respect for people, neighbors and the property. PM me if you want to join.

For the sake of a contrary view, remember that dirt is far more forgiving than street riding. You can get away with locking up the rear and hamfisting the throttle. Slides are easy peasy on dirt, even for a newer rider.

My girlfriend came out to trailtours with me (she had no riding experience) and was bombing through the forest by the end of the day. No expert but she could shift, speed up, slow down and maneuver. Fast forward a few weeks and I got her an intro to riding as a gift. This was parking lot setting on a 125. She found it way way harder because throttle inputs reacted way more abruptly when there was no sand to spin the wheel in, and the same applied to brakes.

If I were OP, I'd just practice smoothness in cornering and braking on tarmac. Practice for what you're going to be tested on.

Low speed control is what M1X is all about. Practice low speed sharp turns, acceleration, panic braking and accident avoidance (lane change), accelerating out of a 90 degree turn from a stop and braking accuracy. Drag the rear brake, clutch, clutch and more clutch.

Riding in the dirt won't be much benefit.

You'll learn valuable skills in the dirt and it will put you ahead of the game in terms of completing the M1X successfully.

I also practise moto-gymkhana skills riding with a couple of people every Tuesday evening near DVP/Eglington. You'll pretty much get all the practise, tips, pointers you need there too...All skill levels welcome. The only thing required is respect for people, neighbors and the property. PM me if you want to join.

I have no other way to practice as I got no access to a bike/not buying one for atleast a year, though thanks for the invite! There has to be some benefit, even just learning how to shift and leaning.
Pretty hyped for it.

Last edited:
I have no other way to practice as I got no access to a bike/not buying one for atleast a year, though thanks for the invite! There has to be some benefit, even just learning how to shift and leaning.
Pretty hyped for it.
Where are you getting the bike for the test?

Back
Top Bottom